Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

54 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

That and the fact that Tromso is in fucking Norway, a country that has to contend with several months of snow and ice and therefore spends a large amount of money in keeping things moving during those months

Yes indeed. But my point was that they don’t over do it. So, no roads are cleared. They all have a base layer now and gritted as necessary. People’s behaviour is biggest difference. Never seen such polite drivers! 

1 minute ago, Cinderella said:

Yes indeed. But my point was that they don’t over do it. So, no roads are cleared. They all have a base layer now and gritted as necessary. People’s behaviour is biggest difference. Never seen such polite drivers! 

Trouble is the base layer would melt here.

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

What is your problem dude? I tried to politely explain the realities of winter here and literally offered to deliver grit to you. Instead of looking for ways you can help the community you complain on here and call me names. Some people can’t be helped. 

I did not call you names, and you deliberately misconstrued my post. What you wrote in your previous post (to me) with that picture was not polite but in my view was uncouth and aggressive. You may think otherwise and you are entitled to your opinion, of course. I personally don't need any help from you, I did not ask for any help from you and I was not talking about me - but some vulnerable people (elderly, disabled) do need assistance. 

And I am not 'dude' as you of course should know.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The NPM has a news story today of a motorcycle instructor bemoaning the fact he is losing money due to the DOI not gritting the roads. It could be said, he is correct, but everyone is affected, schools, people late for work, car accidents due to the icy conditions. Roads impassable or unusable, you can go on, the economy suffers. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Is there a grit shortage, a planning problem or a lack of weather advice?

King Edward Road (aka, wrongly, Groudle Road) NEVER gets gritted. Sending people that way may seem sensible when Whitebridge is shut, but then you just create more problems ...

"Whitebridge road has been re-gritted and is passable with care. Groudle is gridlocked and icy - avoid Groudle road and use the Whitebridge. We will amend the matrix sign at Groudle junction. Officers on way to assist motorist stuck near Groudle pub."

"We are closing the King Edward road - (road past Groudle Glen) due to ice.

Use the Whitebridge road route which has now been cleared.

Take care on all roads."

But at least they learned something....

"King Edward road (road past Groudle -it's not called the Groudle road 🥴) is now open!"
  • Like 1

I can't believe the DOI made a decision not to grit the roads. If they did then yes its unbelievable.

All I can say is that there was light rain at about 9pm last night. It would have washed any remnants of previous salt away. After that it froze like an ice rink. Now either they take their foot off the gas at 5pm, regardless of the forecast or weather that happens and went home (and stayed home) or, giving the benefit of the doubt mobilised at midnight but were unable to cover everywhere - I don't know which. I suspect the former since there are not many roads busier than the coast road at Whitebridge. You would expect that to be right up the priority list.

Very strange