Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

42 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s chaos around Douglas with roads blocked by buses & cars skidding, hopefully people can get to hospital for urgent appointments etc 

Father Phantom (no he didn't have to die for me to inherit the title) has had an op today cancelled.

58 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I suspect, if they will ever admit it, that DoI have dropped a bollock and not done any gritting overnight.  It isn't particulalrly cold.

Email from DoI at teatime yesterday, which I presume wasn't confidential:

Having reviewed the latest weather warning for this evening/overnight and a discussion with the Met Office I can confirm our gritting plans as follows:

Monday evening, gritting to commence at 18.00 hours on the following routes:

·         South – 5 & 6

·         North – 7 & 8

·         East – 9 & 10

Tuesday morning, gritting to commence at 05.00 hours on the following routes:

·         South – 5 & 6

·         North – 7 & 8

·         East – 9 & 10

The rationale for treating the above routes twice over a twelve hour period is based on the shower activity forecast this evening / overnight and lowering temperatures, therefore the likelihood is any snow or hail showers may dilute any salt applied and therefore has potential for these areas to refreeze.

Outside of these treatment times our duty officer will have teams available to respond as required.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IoM Bank closed branches in Regent St and Ramsey, Athol St only open for essential business. PE open as usual. Thanks to RTC bin crew for getting at least part of today's round done though 👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

A relative down south was due for some minor treatment today but can’t get in as all roads closed 

Neighbour due to attend Ramsey for post op assessment. No chance. 

(how many of the uncle to attend appointments will end up as DNAs on the monthly report.)😂

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IoM Bank closed branches in Regent St and Ramsey, Athol St only open for essential business. PE open as usual. Thanks to RTC bin crew for getting at least part of today's round done though 👏

Unfortunately the Iom bank employees are rather like civil servants , if I can get paid for not working I will 

probably out on sleds with teachers 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The police are tweeting warnings about thinking about your activities before doing anything. They and the other emergency services are absolutely scared stiff, of any accidents, especially those which involve an ambulance, and hospital admission. I’m sure most normal people conduct their lives with a modicum of common sense, for example, taking precautions before driving, driving carefully etc. Everything grinds to a halt at the sign of a bit of snow, and you are heavily discouraged from doing anything. 

We received an email update from town hall about services today, sharing it here: 

The Town Hall is fully open, with the Reception and Counters operating

·       The HBN Library is open

·       Waste Services - all staff in, but the Service will be limited until road conditions improve. There will be catch up, so people are being asked to set out bins as normal.

·       Eastern Civic Amenity Site - closed due to ice.

·       Cleansing and Parks staff - deployed to help clear pavements, etc.

·       Electrical Services - providing an emergency service as needed, and putting away Christmas decorations.

·       Crematorium staff - in to do services, if Funeral Directors go ahead with them.

·       Building control and dangerous structures / Wardens / City Centre Management – all covered.

·       Housing Office & Counter - open as normal.

·       Housing Maintenance staff are out on estates helping clear snow and grit paths.

·       All maintenance appointments with tenants now re-arranged.

·       Housing Inspections - some appointments going ahead, others being re-arranged.

·       Sheltered Housing Complexes - staff assisting in clearing the area around buildings.

• Like 3