Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The police are tweeting warnings about thinking about your activities before doing anything. They and the other emergency services are absolutely scared stiff, of any accidents, especially those which involve an ambulance, and hospital admission. I’m sure most normal people conduct their lives with a modicum of common sense, for example, taking precautions before driving, driving carefully etc. Everything grinds to a halt at the sign of a bit of snow, and you are heavily discouraged from doing anything. 

having watched people driving this morning on my walk to work and attempt to drive up the likes of Prospect Hill which were sheet ice I have to disagree with your common sense comment. It seems it is in short supply these days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

having watched people driving this morning on my walk to work and attempt to drive up the likes of Prospect Hill which were sheet ice I have to disagree with your common sense comment. It seems it is in short supply these days.

Exactly this... common sense isn't that common. Watched young clown on R plates trying to get up Port Jack. He wouldn't be told that gunning his engine like a frantic dragster wasn't helping. We just walked off and left him to it.

• Like 1

Electrical Services - providing an emergency service as needed, and putting away Christmas decorations

how big is the attic in the town hall and why wasn't it done 12th night so as to avoid a further years bad luck. Has DBC learned nothing about the consequence of leaving decorations up until Easter?

• Haha 1

Some people do need to go to work/ attend meetings and appointments, etc. In theory, two inches of snow should not cause weather related traffic mayhem in a 1st world country with a history of snowfalls.

This morning the state of some roads and pavements in our glorious ‘city’ of Douglas were treacherous to say the least. While out ‘going places’ I failed to spot a single DOI or DBC worker, but I did see an elderly gentleman (volunteers) who was putting grit on a road outside their property. Not sure what it is like outside now, but it seemed to me that the official earlier preparations felt short of adequate.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Midday today in Union Mills. Drivers were quite happily going at speed instead of taking it steady. I myself would drive slowly. All it takes is a driver catching an icy patch on the road.

13 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Electrical Services - providing an emergency service as needed, and putting away Christmas decorations

how big is the attic in the town hall and why wasn't it done 12th night so as to avoid a further years bad luck. Has DBC learned nothing about the consequence of leaving decorations up until Easter?

Bad luck for the ratepayers. 

56 minutes ago, code99 said:

Some people do need to go to work/ attend meetings and appointments, etc. In theory, two inches of snow should not cause weather related traffic mayhem in a 1st world country with a history of snowfalls.

This morning the state of some roads and pavements in our glorious ‘city’ of Douglas were treacherous to say the least. While out ‘going places’ I failed to spot a single DOI or DBC worker, but I did see an elderly gentleman (volunteers) who was putting grit on a road outside their property. Not sure what it is like outside now, but it seemed to me that the official earlier preparations felt short of adequate.

I think you a: need to be realistic with your expectations and b: only that you didn’t see anyone doesn’t mean the teams weren’t out and about. Resources are limited.

We’re not a place geared up for winter like a town in Bavaria or Canada would be. If we would buy tons of kit we’d rightly be accused of wasting money because we only get two snow days a year.

Most snow in central Douglas was also gone again by lunch time. I know because I went to get a few buckets of grit to put on the pavements and by the time I got back to Victoria street things looked better. I’ll probably throw them on summerhill later like I did last night. 

Also, back in proper-winter-snow Bavaria the local government would only clear the roads and certain public areas. Pavements generally are the responsibility of the property owners adjacent to them. You have to clear the pavement outside your house by a certain time or anyone who slips there can sue you because even with German efficiency you can’t clear all the pavements all of the time. So stop complaining, put on some good shoes, and when you get home later pick up some grit and help clear a bit of the space where you live. That’s of more use to the community of Douglas than complaining here. If you don’t have transport message me your address and I will personally deliver a bucket of grit to you. 

611327D6-ACD1-493D-8AC0-7C4A43B9B949.jpeg