Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

what i did notice today with half the douglas workforce stuck/working from home cos of the snow is that tescos carpark was barely half full with lots of spaces near the building itself, it just shows how many office workers use it as a free car park for their daily stint.

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

what i did notice today with half the douglas workforce stuck/working from home cos of the snow is that tescos carpark was barely half full with lots of spaces near the building itself, it just shows how many office workers use it as a free car park for their daily stint.

Or maybe people didn’t go shopping?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Some people do need to go to work/ attend meetings and appointments, etc. In theory, two inches of snow should not cause weather related traffic mayhem in a 1st world country with a history of snowfalls.

This morning the state of some roads and pavements in our glorious ‘city’ of Douglas were treacherous to say the least. While out ‘going places’ I failed to spot a single DOI or DBC worker, but I did see an elderly gentleman (volunteers) who was putting grit on a road outside their property. Not sure what it is like outside now, but it seemed to me that the official earlier preparations felt short of adequate.

The pavements in Braddan & probably elsewhere were the same, can’t expect to have legions of workers gritting every pavement!!

priority is areas around hospitals, public areas & obviously main roads 

53 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So stop complaining, put on some good shoes, and when you get home later pick up some grit and help clear a bit of the space where you live. That’s of more use to the community of Douglas than complaining here. If you don’t have transport message me your address and I will personally deliver a bucket of grit to you. 

611327D6-ACD1-493D-8AC0-7C4A43B9B949.jpeg

The pavement outside Tynwald was especially treacherous, a bit like an ice rink. It is no wonder that today's session was cancelled - perhaps you could offer Alf C your helpful suggestion?

Edited by code99
typo

10 minutes ago, code99 said:

The pavement outside Tynwald was especially treacherous, a bit like an ice rink. It is no wonder that today's session was cancelled - perhaps you could offer Alf C your helpful suggestion?

Why didn't they just have a remote Tynwald?  Is it that hard to organise?

14 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I was talking to code99 :) 

Got a W3W for that? 

Lashing out at any slightest hint of criticism (colloquially known as VSP - very small penis syndrome) rarely produces lasting solutions to problems. Yesterday morning I observed hazardous conditions around the government buildings in Douglas – presumably, not a one-off event. If the wintery weather continues, we could have more snow and ice. I am not sure if there is a plan to deal with this, but we can’t allow the Island to periodically shut down until daffodils come into full bloom.

I am also unclear how, under the circumstances, vulnerable people are expected to cope as not everyone is physically capable of donning ice-suitable boots and spreading grit about, as you suggested I should do. BTW, the elderly gentleman whom I mentioned in my previous post was not at all happy feeling obliged to do his civic duty by ‘mucking out’ his street – he did not think it was his “job to do that, but what choice do I have?”

End of rant.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, WTF said:

14 hours ago, wrighty said:

Or maybe people didn’t go shopping?

Same at the hospital - it just shows how many office workers use it as a free car park for their daily stint

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

Lashing out at any slightest hint of criticism (colloquially known as VSP - very small penis syndrome) rarely produces lasting solutions to problems. Yesterday morning I observed hazardous conditions around the government buildings in Douglas – presumably, not a one-off event. If the wintery weather continues, we could have more snow and ice. I am not sure if there is a plan to deal with this, but we can’t allow the Island to periodically shut down until daffodils come into full bloom.

I am also unclear how, under the circumstances, vulnerable people are expected to cope as not everyone is physically capable of donning ice-suitable boots and spreading grit about, as you suggested I should do. BTW, the elderly gentleman whom I mentioned in my previous post was not at all happy feeling obliged to do his civic duty by ‘mucking out’ his street – he did not think it was his “job to do that, but what choice do I have?”

End of rant.

What is your problem dude? I tried to politely explain the realities of winter here and literally offered to deliver grit to you. Instead of looking for ways you can help the community you complain on here and call me names. Some people can’t be helped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Same at the hospital - it just shows how many office workers use it as a free car park for their daily stint

Or it could be that lots of appointments were cancelled yesterday, staff couldn’t get in & patients also couldn’t get in!

• Like 3