Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It will fit in nicely with their new gritter

INSANE Bentley UltraTank - YouTube

I understand an off island consultant has advised that the most efficient snow and ice clearing process requires a mixture of powdered gold and fairy dust. 

• Haha 1

It was like one of the street cleaning vehicles you see out but had a shovel attached to it. Pretty effective actually the bloke driving it was up bucks Road by the terrace going down towards prospect hill when I saw him. When I walked down 20 minutes later the pavements were clear

Currently in Tromso Norway, and around -5 degrees. Roads are not ploughed between snow falls - there is a base of ice, with some stone/sand. gritting. Place works by cars having winter tyres, common courtesy (give way to pedestrians crossing as they can’t go fast) and driving very slowly. Much to learn about not just waiting for authorities to clear everything and then whinging when they don’t. 

Was fascinating watch the plane de- icing in Oslo though - a well oiled process in special plane holding area

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Same at the hospital - it just shows how many office workers use it as a free car park for their daily stint

Or perhaps many patients couldn’t get in, appointments were cancelled, and staff walked in instead (like I did)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Currently in Tromso Norway, and around -5 degrees. Roads are not ploughed between snow falls - there is a base of ice, with some stone/sand. gritting. Place works by cars having winter tyres, common courtesy (give way to pedestrians crossing as they can’t go fast) and driving very slowly. Much to learn about not just waiting for authorities to clear everything and then whinging when they don’t. 

Was fascinating watch the plane de- icing in Oslo though - a well oiled process in special plane holding area

How hilly is it there? I think that's a big part of the problem here on straight roads it's fine but on hills etc is where the issues are 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

How hilly is it there? I think that's a big part of the problem here on straight roads it's fine but on hills etc is where the issues are 

That and the fact that Tromso is in fucking Norway, a country that has to contend with several months of snow and ice and therefore spends a large amount of money in keeping things moving during those months

• Like 4