Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

King Edward Road (aka, wrongly, Groudle Road) NEVER gets gritted. Sending people that way may seem sensible when Whitebridge is shut, but then you just create more problems ...

"Whitebridge road has been re-gritted and is passable with care. Groudle is gridlocked and icy - avoid Groudle road and use the Whitebridge. We will amend the matrix sign at Groudle junction. Officers on way to assist motorist stuck near Groudle pub."

"We are closing the King Edward road - (road past Groudle Glen) due to ice.

Use the Whitebridge road route which has now been cleared.

Take care on all roads."

But at least they learned something....

"King Edward road (road past Groudle -it's not called the Groudle road 🥴) is now open!"

Care to explain what they learned?

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

All I can say is that there was light rain at about 9pm last night. It would have washed any remnants of previous salt away. After that it froze like an ice rink.

I salted about half of Mt Murray on Tuesday night.  

Had an amusing encounter with a dog walker as I was leaving yesterday morning.  Telling me that one side of the estate was treacherous ice and the other side was fine.  "Yeah that's the side I drive round and I salted it all".  He seemed confused that I didn't do the whole bloody estate (half took me about and hour and a half and about 6 big bucket fulls to do my 'side'). 

But I was quite liberal with my seasoning and it was still salty and ice free this morning.  Although admittedly the traffic levels would be signinficantly less than on the main roads. 

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has a news story today of a motorcycle instructor bemoaning the fact he is losing money due to the DOI not gritting the roads. It could be said, he is correct, but everyone is affected, schools, people late for work, car accidents due to the icy conditions. Roads impassable or unusable, you can go on, the economy suffers. 

Instead of moaning, he should have capitalised and offered special 'how to ride a motorbike in ice' lessons. 

It's such a stupid whinge, it's fucking winter. Some years it gets properly cold, but not often. Some years we barely get a frost til March. You either sod off to the Canaries or deal with it. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

The NPM has a news story today of a motorcycle instructor bemoaning the fact he is losing money due to the DOI not gritting the roads. It could be said, he is correct, but everyone is affected, schools, people late for work, car accidents due to the icy conditions. Roads impassable or unusable, you can go on, the economy suffers. 

Plenty of plonkers whining about Mountain road being closed, why’s my estate road not been gritted etc etc. Also the usual When I s about.

Cant expect a large workforce on standby 24 hours to cater for every eventuality, just don’t drive if it’s dangerous & if it’s essential drive carefully!!!

• Like 3

Never forget my first driving lesson. 16 and knew nothing but thought I knew it all. Instructor was a gentleman called Walter Chad (RIP). Took me up the back of Onchan, with snow falling, and let me loose. Only problem was when we came back the same way and I could see my tire tracks weaving wildly across the road in the sleet. Taught me something about not always thinking you are sh*t hot. And, how to drive on sleety roads. So maybe today’s instructors should just stop whinging and get on with giving their pupil a life lesson.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Never forget my first driving lesson. 16 and knew nothing but thought I knew it all. Instructor was a gentleman called Walter Chad (RIP). Took me up the back of Onchan, with snow falling, and let me loose. Only problem was when we came back the same way and I could see my tire tracks weaving wildly across the road in the sleet. Taught me something about not always thinking you are sh*t hot. And, how to drive on sleety roads. So maybe today’s instructors should just stop whinging and get on with giving their pupil a life lesson.

Walter Chad, taught me to drive, lovely man

• Thanks 1

The south road was gritted this morning, so was Anagh Coar/Farmhill, so they were out.

Problem is that a) grit is not a magic substance, it's less effective below about -5 and doesn't really work below -10, and b) the standard of driving on this island is terrible.

We don't get much snow here, so nobody knows/learns how to drive in it. As we see in any cold snap when people decide to rev the shit out of their car going up the hill out of Whitebridge and end up shocked they get stuck. And once one clown gets stuck, everyone else has to stop behind them.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2