Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

As we see in any cold snap when people decide to rev the shit out of their car going up the hill out of Whitebridge and end up shocked they get stuck.

Driving with non-winter tyres on a steep hill, on sheet ice, it's going to be hard to keep traction. You're always going to be in a relatively low gear. And with modern interventions like traction control you can lose momentum very quickly.

Not exclusive to here. Seen it happen in France, the difference there is they require you to carry chains and if you don't have them you're likely to get fined. Always good watching everyone trying to get them on the cars before the climb up to the ski resort.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

the difference there is they require you to carry chains and if you don't have them you're likely to get fined. Always good watching everyone trying to get them on the cars before the climb up to the ski resort.

Are snow chains legal to use on the island?

Genuine question, I've never really thought about them.

16 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Driving with non-winter tyres on a steep hill, on sheet ice, it's going to be hard to keep traction. You're always going to be in a relatively low gear. And with modern interventions like traction control you can lose momentum very quickly.

Not exclusive to here. Seen it happen in France, the difference there is they require you to carry chains and if you don't have them you're likely to get fined. Always good watching everyone trying to get them on the cars before the climb up to the ski resort.

Chains are not much good in Icy conditions , they need snow to work properly  the best thing is   a  wheel strap that also has hardened studs and easy to fit  on a modern aluminium  car wheel , available in Halfords and not expensive , but the modern tyres don't help  the tread  patterns don't seem to grip especially those with deep groves that run right around the tyre  and its the compound of the rubber that sticks to the road surface ,

Just now, 0bserver said:

Are snow chains legal to use on the island?

Genuine question, I've never really thought about them.

They're only supposed to be used once snow gets compacted to ice, otherwise they cause damage to the road. I think you can get fined for leaving them on once you're on a clear road.

The aires/laybys fill up pretty quickly with people putting them on once the snow gets to that point. If you get stuck on the way up to a resort you're not likely to be flavour of the month.... 

2 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

They're only supposed to be used once snow gets compacted to ice, otherwise they cause damage to the road. I think you can get fined for leaving them on once you're on a clear road.

The aires/laybys fill up pretty quickly with people putting them on once the snow gets to that point. If you get stuck on the way up to a resort you're not likely to be flavour of the month.... 

Sorry should have also said, yes I would say they are legal if the snow in deep enough to warrant them. But as Ombono says - not much use if any on thin ice like this morning. Plus it will damage the road and your car. Doubt there are many times you'd need them here unless you live right out in the sticks!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I've also seen these tyre 'socks' and wondered if they might be an option.  Certainly would be less damaging to the road and car. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/01/snow-traction-when-you-need-it/index.htm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, Roxanne said:

A wee word.(two words)

Stop reacting.

May I ask you, before taking his side on this, did you actually read the offensive drivel that he posted to me? I would have thought that as another MF female contributor you would be able to recognise misogyny when you see it.

Note: My point (that there was no joined up approach from the authorities to ensure safety of the residents) which I raised about the treacherous conditions on the ‘snow and ice day’ is entirely valid. As an example of this - a relatively young doctor, apparently slipped over right outside Nobles Hospital, which was not gritted at the time. Thankfully nothing was broken. If that same accident had happened to an elderly or disabled or in any way more vulnerable person/patient, the personal consequences would have undoubtedly been much worse.

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

May I ask you, before taking his side on this, did you actually read the offensive drivel that he posted to me? I would have thought that as another MF female contributor you would be able to recognise misogyny when you see it.

Note: My point (that there was no joined up approach from the authorities to ensure safety of the residents) which I raised about the treacherous conditions on the ‘snow and ice day’ is entirely valid. As an example of this - a relatively young doctor, apparently slipped over right outside Nobles Hospital, which was not gritted at the time. Thankfully nothing was broken. If that same accident had happened to an elderly or disabled or in any way more vulnerable person/patient, the personal consequences would have undoubtedly been much worse.

They either did or did not slip over?

1 hour ago, code99 said:

I was not taking his side. I was suggesting that instead of reacting to every post that he saw as a personal slight, that instead he stepped back and responded instead.

it has been painful at times to witness him lashing out at people who were making valid points  I’m glad to see that he seems to have stepped back from that as he wasn’t doing himself any favours personally or professionally  

In no way, shape of form, was it intended as any kind of commentary on your posts. 

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

They either did or did not slip over?

I would imagine that 'apparently' in this case is short for "I didn't see this myself, but I have been told".  Apologies if you were trying to make a particularly weak joke.

But you would expect the hospital authorities to have a standard plan for this sort of thing and maintenance staff out clearing and/or gritting from early on.  By definition a lot of those coming to the hospital will be frail or unsteady at the best of times.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I would imagine that 'apparently' in this case is short for "I didn't see this myself, but I have been told".  Apologies if you were trying to make a particularly weak joke.

But you would expect the hospital authorities to have a standard plan for this sort of thing and maintenance staff out clearing and/or gritting from early on.  By definition a lot of those coming to the hospital will be frail or unsteady at the best of times.

No need to apologise being punctilious, is what defines you from the crowd