Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

38 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Yes we do, so it’s -21 which we didn’t have here. Why is the main road on the island closed if there wasn’t much snow and temperatures are within effective range for rock salt? Valid question. 

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2960143

the reality is that there are almost NO houses on the mountain road ( kates cottage and a cafe ) so there is no need to keep it open for the fun of it,  the coast road and TT course anticlockwise from ramsey have hundreds of houses on them so best to prioritise and concentrate efforts on those routes instead.

13 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Yes unacceptable. A bit if grit would have sorted it out

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 10.43.41.jpg

If only there was some sort of truck that can push snow off the road. 

https://m.facebook.com/AmadeusPhotography/videos/snow-is-once-again-covering-the-mountain-road-on-the-isle-of-man-today-here-are-/402341910985558/

I suspect it‘s more along the lines of what wtf said and probably overstretched emergency services not fancying having to rescue people who can‘t drive properly in the winter. 

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

https://m.facebook.com/AmadeusPhotography/videos/snow-is-once-again-covering-the-mountain-road-on-the-isle-of-man-today-here-are-/402341910985558/

I suspect it‘s more along the lines of what wtf said and probably overstretched emergency services not fancying having to rescue people who can‘t drive properly in the winter. 

They trashed the Road out round Cronk y Voddy in 2014 ish trying to clear it and get it open.

There simply isn’t any need to clear the mountain, although if they let people keep driving on it it probably wouldn’t settle as badly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

And push the fog out of the way as well. I am guessing that when they decide to close the road they consider visibility as well as the road surface. Sort of cumulative risk?

46 minutes ago, Newbie said:

And push the fog out of the way as well. I am guessing that when they decide to close the road they consider visibility as well as the road surface. Sort of cumulative risk?

Probably. People here aren’t used to or equipped to drive in these conditions. Add to that overstretched nobles and they probably went fuck that we keep it closed. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Pretty terrifying here. About half a metre left until she overtops. High tide at 1pm and at that point there will be nowhere for the water to go.  I’m drinking a dirty chai and eating a bar of fruit and nut.  I might go and get some sandbags later. Or not. Maybe I’ll just have another dirty chai. Here we go again…

IMG_8329.MOV

Good to hear from you again Roxanne, wish it was under better circumstances. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Quite scary in parts, with raging torrents down the roads round here, and water well out from the gutters.

It looked better for a while, but the rain has started again now.

Fingers firmly crossed for everyone down Laxey, with high tide still to come.

• Like 2