Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

53 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Pretty terrifying here. About half a metre left until she overtops. High tide at 1pm and at that point there will be nowhere for the water to go.  I’m drinking a dirty chai and eating a bar of fruit and nut.  I might go and get some sandbags later. Or not. Maybe I’ll just have another dirty chai. Here we go again…

IMG_8329.MOV

Yay, welcome back Rox. Good luck with the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Pretty terrifying here. About half a metre left until she overtops. High tide at 1pm and at that point there will be nowhere for the water to go.  I’m drinking a dirty chai and eating a bar of fruit and nut.  I might go and get some sandbags later. Or not. Maybe I’ll just have another dirty chai. Here we go again…

IMG_8329.MOV

It's a big tide, but not massive.  Also SW rather than an easterly, so I think you should be ok.... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The mountain was a misery today, down towards the creg is more like a green lane than a main road with all the rocks washing across.

Serious amounts of deep standing water about too. 

Mountain road has been shut until 4.30 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Mountain road has been shut until 4.30 

You only have to look at the state of the gullies even though they close the road for weeks on end for racetrack improvements, to realise they don't seem to care about real solutions.  They faffed about on the side between Kates and the Creg for weeks and it still turns into a river if it rains for more than an hour.

Maybe if we focused a little less on green renewable energy and tackled the present problems before we find the road shut for months while they try to repair avoidable damage. Much like Laxey, the Mountian Road will fail at some point for lack of proper maintenance. Scratching and resurfacing a patch here and there, like some incontinent cat,  is not working obviously. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

IMG_8329.MOV

She is still amongst us!

Nice to see you back! 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Already happened a few years ago when the stream across the gooseneck burst through the road, devastation.

I remember many years ago going up the mountain on a push bike when it was closed long term and seeing loads of concrete pipes stacked up along the Verandah possibly something to do with the Sulby reservoir in 1978/79?

• Like 1