Missed appointments

Passing Time

10 hours ago, Passing Time said:

If people make an appointment then can’t be arsed turning up then bill them.

It is not possible to draw a conclusion without making an effort to find out why appointments were missed. It will take time and money to do some research/interviewing, but without that you are just making assumptions.

You may be right - they just could not be bothered - but then why did they make the effort to make an appointment in the first place?

38 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You may be right - they just could not be bothered - but then why did they make the effort to make an appointment in the first place?

not all appointments are made by the patient ,  the hospital send out appointments for various departments and expect that the  people will attend .  the system is so fucked up and delayed that some will have moved house during the wait and wont be at the address the letter was sent to.

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

That is bad. It’s seems the more money ploughed into Manx care the less services are available.

I don't necessarily agree. There has been more voluntary and charity support systems in place, some arranged and funded by Manx Care.

The point made though about money going into the right services is correct.. With Manx Care only answerable to Tynwald once a year via the Mandate it is time to review that. It was ok when the contract was dry but the situations now are very different than when the transformation was planned. 

Re : No MEDS cover last night. There needs to be statement on this as to why from the DHSC. How was it communicated to everyone else ?

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Passing Time said:

So in this week’s local rag, hooperman talks about the number of appointments not fulfilled and the cost thereof. In the same breath immediately states they won’t be looking to recover the costs. If people make an appointment then can’t be arsed turning up then bill them. Give them seven days to pay and if they don’t then remove them from the GP list

How can missed appointments cost money when doctors are not paid by the hour?

It's like saying Bus Vannin is losing money because people aren't travelling by bus.

3 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

That’s not good is it. I hope you haven’t been waiting long for that appointment and having to wait again .

It came out of the blue. Wasn’t waiting. It was a random regular ( biennial ) checkup.

I’ll make one in the New Year. Nothing urgent. Tried both numbers again just now. Both numbers on letter now returning “number not recognised”.

Of course a letter dated 6/12 won’t be posted on 6/12. They can take up to a week to hit the letter post box

Edited by John Wright

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Tried phoning to apologise and to rebook. Both numbers engaged.

From what you posted I don't know why you are apologising. It sound more like a fault with the admin system. 

have you tried MCals ?

And what about the other side of the equation?

Mrs McC has ad two occasions when she has arrived on time for an appointment, only to be told "the clinic has been cancelled, there's a letter in the post"

Why the hell can they not phone / text / email? 

GP's can do it, dentists can do it so why can't our splendid almost new hospital manage it?

4 minutes ago, Apple said:

From what you posted I don't know why you are apologising. It sound more like a fault with the admin system. 

have you tried MCals ?

I think it’s good manners to apologise and explain. It’s not worth a MCALS contact. Phoning also alerts them that they should send out sooner.

5 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Oh josh not good about the number . 
But glad it’s not something urgent you’ve been waiting for.

It’s a diabetic podiatry check. I check my feet every day. No problems. 

But there isn’t joined up thinking. I was phoned for my Mpox vaccination in late September. They had a cancellation and wanted me up same day. I questioned contraindication because I was booked for covid dose 6 the next day. Told all OK.

I pitched up. Asked again. They researched and said had to be a 4 week gap. Offered choice of Mpox or Covid. Chose covid. Discussed the Mpox. It should be primary dose and a booster. Manx Care were only offering the prime dose, no boosters, and giving a reduced dose intradermally rather than intramuscularly. Assured this would be fine. I wasn’t so sure and researched getting it privately when next across.

Rang on 25 October to book again. Took a month to get an appointment. Went last week November. Told I’d need a booster after 4 weeks. Apparently the reduced single dose isn’t as effective and only lasts a shorter time.

Last week I phoned to fix an appointment for the booster. I’m hoping to be away from early January to late February and I’m going somewhere that was an Mpox hotspot last summer. I wanted the booster before I set off.

Only one person, a visiting consultant, is administering the jabs, he’s not visiting now until end January.

He did phone back, to apologise and explain, but did admit that whatever immunity I had gained would probably have waned by late February.

8 minutes ago, McCallig said:

Mrs McC has ad two occasions when she has arrived on time for an appointment, only to be told "the clinic has been cancelled, there's a letter in the post"

GP's can do it, dentists can do it so why can't our splendid almost new hospital manage it?

cos they're fucking useless.

12 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Nothing is straight forward is it. They shouldn’t be getting it wrong when it comes to peoples health. I do hope you are able to get what you need before travelling. 

I don’t “need” it. But given my immunocompromised status post leukaemia and chemo it’s a sensible precaution. 

It’s thought I’ve lost most of my childhood vaccination immunity.

No heaving nightclubs and wild sex parties for me, then. Apparently that’s where it’s mainly spread.

But I may pop into a gay bar, where there might be other patrons who indulged a few hours/days previously. Living life vicariously!

56 minutes ago, McCallig said:

If this was an urgent  appointment or having travelled a long way then the information needs to be collated and shared. Where is the lessons learned aspect ?

2 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Haha you never know what’s around the corner. One minute you might be minding your own business and the next before you know it giving it your all on the dance floor.

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks. I’ll be tucked up in bed by 21.30 with my mug of cocoa or hot milk and brandy.

• Like 3

If Nobles cancel an appointment:

If they phone you, they know you've got the message. If they text or email and ask you to respond, they know you've got the message. Either way, it's only a couple of minutes of Manx Care time.

Write a letter?????  From initiation to delivery - DAYS. ( and they still wouldn't know you'd received the message )

Is there a grain of common sense anywhere in the upper echelons of the administration?

• Like 1