Missed appointments

Passing Time

I have joined the system when you get an alert message on your mobile a couple of days before your appointment reminding you of date, time etc.    This service has been offered to me by every department I have been in so they are pushing it and there is really no excuse for missing appointments.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HeliX said:

The amount one smoker would pay in tax on their cigs isn't going to cover the cost of their treatment though.

Well I’m not sure that’s correct. 
Currently cigarettes are taxed at 16.5% of the retail price plus £5.26 on a packet of £20. I believe a packet of 20 cigarettes is about £10.. 

So say £7.00 on a packet of cigarettes.

Say smoking 2O a day = annual tax of £2,555 

Over 40 years say £82,500.

Most cigarette smokers don’t need “treatment”

Say 20% do, 80% don’t ( that’s a conservative figure more like 90%) 

So £82,500 x 4/5 = £656,000 per smoker contributing to the tax coffers, no pun intended ( over a 49 year period). That’s a lot of money they have contributed to cover their “ treatment” 

Plus of course as been pointed out those small percentage of smokers who die earlier than they would have done save the NHS even more. And they keep people in the tobacco industry in employment who contribute even more taxes?

Time to stop demonizing smokers methinks

41 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Currently cigarettes are taxed at 16.5% of the retail price plus £5.26 on a packet of £20. I believe a packet of 20 cigarettes is about £10.. 

So £82,500 x 4/5 = £656,000 per smoker contributing to the tax coffers, no pun intended ( over a 49 year period). That’s a lot of money they have contributed to cover their “ treatment” 

Plus of course as been pointed out those small percentage of smokers who die earlier than they would have done save the NHS even more. And they keep people in the tobacco industry in employment who contribute even more taxes?

Packet of fags is now at least £13.   That's when I packed them in. 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Is that a back-of-a-fag-packet maths..? 

Voicey for treasury minister! 

Edited by quilp
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I’m sure whoever came up with it thought it was VERY clever.   Perhaps we need a competition - the best new hip and groovy name/acronym for the service.   Best answer wins a hip replacement (OK with you, Wrighty?).

How about Manx Emergency Doctor System.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone recently told me they were on the waiting list for ages for a procedure and were dropped off the list bacsue the call to tell them about the appointment came from an unknown number and they dont answer calls from unknown numbers. Went on to blame manxcare for it. Like wtf. Some people need to adult better.

1 hour ago, BillyNoMates said:

call to tell them about the appointment came from an unknown number and they dont answer calls from unknown numbers.

The gov. using blocked numbers annoys the hell out of me. A while ago I missed a call (because I was driving), and when I checked, the number was shown as blocked. I was expecting a call from Ramsey GP so I had to go there to ask if they had called me - but I don't remember if it was them or not.

Making a call to give important information from a blocked number is crap service.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, BillyNoMates said:

Someone recently told me they were on the waiting list for ages for a procedure and were dropped off the list bacsue the call to tell them about the appointment came from an unknown number and they dont answer calls from unknown numbers. Went on to blame manxcare for it. Like wtf. Some people need to adult better.

A lot of people don’t answer caller ID withheld call though. It’s not unusual. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The gov. using blocked numbers annoys the hell out of me. A while ago I missed a call (because I was driving), and when I checked, the number was shown as blocked. I was expecting a call from Ramsey GP so I had to go there to ask if they had called me - but I don't remember if it was them or not.

Making a call to give important information from a blocked number is crap service.

Exactly, what would be the rationale behind a doctors surgery blocking caller ID?

Struggling to find any benefit in this, the downsides as illustrated here are obvious.

Maybe Reportage should get on the case?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly, what would be the rationale behind a doctors surgery blocking caller ID?

Struggling to find any benefit in this, the downsides as illustrated here are obvious.

Maybe Reportage should get on the case?

Confidentiality. Imagine you’re out to dinner with a new young lady and your phone lights up with ‘VD clinic’. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:50 AM, HeliX said:

The amount one smoker would pay in tax on their cigs isn't going to cover the cost of their treatment though.

I heard mentioned somewhere that actually a healthy person will actually cost more to the NHS over their lifetime than an unhealthy person.  They may get less treatment but it's over a longer period, as the unhealthy die earlier. 

31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Confidentiality. Imagine you’re out to dinner with a new young lady and your phone lights up with ‘VD clinic’. 

I remember a consultant in that field of medicine saying  "Wayback it was the VD clinic , we all knew what that meant , then it was GUM  , then they included 'sexual health' so now we are known as SHAGUM !"  

:flowers:

• Haha 4