CS keeps expanding

CallMeCurious

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Its pay bill went up from £83.6 million to £121.5 million, with a net increase of £23.5 million
allowing for changes in accounting methods. 

They can have as many staff as they want but surely that £23.5 million in pay needs justifying. Tynwald question for Juan perhaps.? Or anyone one else? Probably not. 

Has there been any pay rises across the CS board?

Skimming through that article gave me a bit of a weird feeling - as when skimming through some of the more extreme posts on this forum.

Did the author have nothing better to do? Was he paid or in some way persuaded to write the article? Where does his data on Catholics come from? Is he aware that I have never seen a constable on his beat in my part of Ramsey (Gateway to the North)?

His only claim to fame is "Sam Ashworth-Hayes is a former director of studies at the Henry Jackson Society."

A quick Internet search for the HJS provides:

"Worthy of ridicule

On 23 November 2016, in an interview with RT, Craig Murray described the HJS as "a creature of the CIA" and deemed it worthy of ridicule:

"Any organisation which embraces Jim Murphy, Nadine Dorries, Roger Scruton and Patrick Minford is going to have some fruitcake right wing opinions and be more worthy of ridicule than political debate.[15] So I really couldn’t maintain a straight face when discussing the Henry Jackson Society on Russia Today."[16]"

I have never read The Spectator  - even when someone left a copy on a train seat. I probably won't start to.

• Like 2

I suspect that Allinson is trying to set up a network of political contacts (especially those in journalism) in preparation for the time when he is elected "Supreme Ruler of the Universe (including the Isle of Man)".

Maybe someone should point out to him that he was elected in Ramsey - which probably has a smaller population than Budleigh Salterton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

It worries me that Allinson genuinely believes the Manx public have a new found faith and trust in government.

Police are warning people not to leave parcels on their doorsteps as they may be stolen. That 'nobody locks their doors' is an old story that is no longer true.

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a weird article for sure, but its very in keeping with a certain part of the conservative UK. It's trying to do that harking back to simpler times thing, a fantasy middle England from the 50s that never really existed. It is unmitigated bullshit.

It is also a harking back that has racist undertones (the UK was better before all those foreigners arrived etc) 

Edited by Cinderella
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

It is also a harking back that has racist undertones (the UK was better before all those foreigners arrived etc) 

Then there is this section from Wikipedia's article on The Spectator:

"In August 2015, The Spectator received media attention and criticism after publishing an article by Charles Moore regarding the 2015 Labour Party leadership election titled "Have Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall got the looks for a leadership contest?", in which he wrote "there is an understanding that no leader – especially, despite the age of equality, a woman – can look grotesque on television and win a general election" and discussed the looks of the two female candidates in detail."

You aren't a person of the alternative gender, are you Cindy?

Allison would seem to be a reader, though. But I suppose one might point out that one article does not make a newspaper. But....

How about the trauma of the public being told by the Chief Minister that IoM civil servants couldn't be trusted, closely followed by his point being driven home by the Ranson Findings?

• Like 2