CS keeps expanding

CallMeCurious

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

A friend's son had a recent issue with a cryptocoin related theft, the police lacked the skills to even investigate and stated it was too difficult to resolve. I wasn't aware that we could just ignore crimes that are difficult!

Could this be a jurisdictional issue possibly?   Others on here will know for certain, but does the Constabulary only investigate crimes which happen here?   Presumably your friend's son resides here, but was the crime against them committed here, or elsewhere?   I may be wrong, but I'd have thought the crime is committed in whichever country/jurisdiction the thief operates from.   In cyber- or crypto- crimes it might be nigh on impossible to identify where the thief operates from.   If so, how can the IOM Constabulary investigate here?  

Assuming the thief didn't operate from the IOM, if the police took a report from your friend's son, where would they send it to for investigation?  

I've read local media reports where locals have been convicted of defrauding victims living elsewhere, because the former committed their crimes from here, but I don't recall seeing any local reports where non-residents have been convicted in the Isle of Man, for defrauding IOM residents, presumably because their crimes were not committed here.     

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

there must be a few senior officers   getting ready to retire ,  cant beat picking up your police pension and starting  a new job with a civil service salary ,  and I would assume most have no banking Audit  or financial  experience , 

Like the Motor Sport set up. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, forestboy said:

Like the Motor Sport set up. 

It’s totally wrong. If you retire, you retire and go and work in the private sector. I get the impression that these particular roles are allocated to retiring police officers, not because they are the best qualified, or professionally qualified. All this island is doing is creating empires within empires. Whilst I appreciate that Moneyval and other regulations mean that resources should be prioritised into such activities as money laundering etc. Why can’t the Financial Services Authority/Commission take on additional duties, with existing staff? Why does the new PIMLIT need legal resources? Doesn’t the taxpayer pay for the AGs Chambers? Can’t they do the work, after all, if any prosecution result from the work of PIMLIT, the AGs Chambers would be involved. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

A lot of the public sector would be totally unemployable in the private sector.

You are right. Let them put their employability and marketing skills to the test. Let them put their interpersonal skills and interview techniques into practice, this time on the other side of the desk. It’s easy work, working for IOMG, your guaranteed work till they totally retire. As for retired police, why don’t they get a job with G4S or other security guard firms. 

On 1/14/2023 at 3:25 PM, cissolt said:

And none of them noticed the PPE medpro scandal?

A friend's son had a recent issue with a cryptocoin related theft, the police lacked the skills to even investigate and stated it was too difficult to resolve. I wasn't aware that we could just ignore crimes that are difficult!

How do you steal cryptocoin? Thought the whole idea was it was inherently safe what with the blockchain distributed ledgers recording every transaction blah blah. 

Edited by CallMeCurious

If PIMLIT investigate and as a result charges are brought, should it reach trial, and should the court case collapse, either due to the prosecution withdrawing charges, as a result of shoddy work, preparation and non submissions of evidence, or at trial the accused is acquitted, who will take responsibility? Lots of cases have collapsed due to the police failings, or evidence mistakes and AG chambers screw up?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

How do you steal cryptocoin? Thought the whole idea was it was inherently safe what with the blockchain distributed ledgers recording every transaction blah blah. 

I think they were hacked but the police lacked even the most basic of knowledge to investigate, you would think if they didn't have the expertise they would outsource for it

I know of one well qualified local young man who applied for some jobs here on the good old iom that well fitted his skill set, the last straw came after being overlooked once again after being  interviewed for a government job that was given to another ex bobby double dipping. Then we wonder why our youngsters don’t return, speaking to him while home at Christmas he now has a well paid job in uk and doesn’t now think he’ll return for long years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:15 PM, Steve_Christian said:

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Does that include people who work for low wages in the health and social care sectors. ?

Or hospitality sectors. ?

9 hours ago, Apple said:

Does that include people who work for low wages in the health and social care sectors. ?

Or hospitality sectors. ?

No - I’m referring to benchmarking of roles. Pay too little for a role where that person can earn far more in the private sector and you’ll get a monkey. The issue you raise is that healthcare and social care wages  are benchmarked way too low - which is a crime. If that’s your point I 100% agree with you.