CS keeps expanding

CallMeCurious

On 12/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Amazing how a leader of Westminster City Council turned out to be a charlatan.

No doubt any "review" here will go out to Beamans, which just happens to be headed up by a former senior Manx civil servant.

All this focus on headcount is wrong, and ends up with the situation at the airport where there aren't enough air traffic controllers because they were the quickest way to cut numbers.

I don't think the Manx public sector is particularly bloated, but Enterprise is one area that could be tighter.

In the words of Baldrick,  its more bloated than a bloaty thing. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

New signage & letterheads? Not to mention new furniture when they play musical chairs with office space. Possibly new carpets and decoration if theree is remodelling. Oh and don't forget the parking space that probably goes with the position.

Then HR will have to setup new contracts and organisational charts with roles and responsibilities, IT departments will need to revamp websites, emails etc. Then there are the mission statements, carbon footprints to calculate etc.

They get quite a lot for our money. Us, not so much.

Don't forget moving everybody up the ladder so former middle managers become directors  who then need administrators

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends if these roles are being scrapped, and there will be less civil servants? Or are mediocre and poor performers within the CS being opportunity to bail out, and be replaced with other poor performers? Or even yes men?

Edited by 2112

This period would have included Murray leaving too wouldn't it? You would have expected a CEO severance package to be pretty substantial. And wasn't there a high level HR person too? I wonder if the word 'redundancy' is key here, and those notable departures aren't included.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This period would have included Murray leaving too wouldn't it? You would have expected a CEO severance package to be pretty substantial. And wasn't there a high level HR person too? I wonder if the word 'redundancy' is key here, and those notable departures aren't included.

Is MARS not counted as redundancy? I wonder.

As ever you need to go to the actual question to get the exact story:

What the total value of all redundancy and ex gratia payments to departing civil servants between 1 July 2022 and 30 November 2022 was; and how many such payments have been made.

The Chief Minister (Hon Mr Cannan MHK): The total value of all redundancy and ex gratia payments to departing civil servants between 1 July 2022 and 30 November 2022 (rounded to the nearest whole pound) is £151,492.

Details of how many such payments have been made is as follows:

 Redundancy Payments – 4

 Ex-Gratia payments – Nil

So it's four redundancy payments for four different people which total to £151,492.  And this will be according to the IOMG redundancy scheme as there were no ex-gratia payments.

This means that Greenhow and the rest of the Ranson clear out should be before this period.  In any case none of those were redundancies  - Greenhow was a nominal retirement (I reckon he was about 58) as was Ewart (who was near retirement age).  Conie and Malone both resigned.  All this was mid to late May.

I suspect Watterson was asking about something else, though I don't know what.  And with redundancies it's supposed to be the job which goes rather than the person who wasn't up to it.  Though you wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of someone they didn't like by replacing an Assistant Deputy something with a Deputy Assistant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As ever you need to go to the actual question to get the exact story:

What the total value of all redundancy and ex gratia payments to departing civil servants between 1 July 2022 and 30 November 2022 was; and how many such payments have been made.

The Chief Minister (Hon Mr Cannan MHK): The total value of all redundancy and ex gratia payments to departing civil servants between 1 July 2022 and 30 November 2022 (rounded to the nearest whole pound) is £151,492.

Details of how many such payments have been made is as follows:

 Redundancy Payments – 4

 Ex-Gratia payments – Nil

So it's four redundancy payments for four different people which total to £151,492.  And this will be according to the IOMG redundancy scheme as there were no ex-gratia payments.

This means that Greenhow and the rest of the Ranson clear out should be before this period.  In any case none of those were redundancies  - Greenhow was a nominal retirement (I reckon he was about 58) as was Ewart (who was near retirement age).  Conie and Malone both resigned.  All this was mid to late May.

I suspect Watterson was asking about something else, though I don't know what.  And with redundancies it's supposed to be the job which goes rather than the person who wasn't up to it.  Though you wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of someone they didn't like by replacing an Assistant Deputy something with a Deputy Assistant.

What's a 'nominal' retirement