Merry Christmas

Amadeus

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not necessarily. The GMP put individuals in post in both national and local Govt on an elected basis in the belief that their democratically-expressed wishes would be upheld and enacted upon.

Some of the elected and far too many of the unelected decided to take matters into their own hands with more than one eye on their own benefits and furtherance. Whilst recognising and ensuring that there is little accountability for doing so.

That is why we are where we are.

If there was party politics here the electorate would have a better idea of what the candidates stand for, because they would align to the party line.

Having said that, what we have in the elected government is a result of complacency and inertia within the electorate.  I don't know how that is changed. 

But, going back to the DBC  debate, much was made of councillors who were unelected as if that impaired their mandate.  It doesn't, and shouldn't even be raised as an issue. 

That is how democracy works and the fact that there were wards with only one candidate does not reflect on the candidate, but the complacency and inertia of the electorate.

The GMP is actually quite politically naive. That would be solved,  IMHO,  by party politics,  not by a cheery face on your doorstep  promising things that can never be delivered.  They are just one candidate, and just one MHK if they win the beauty parade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If there was party politics here the electorate would have a better idea of what the candidates stand for, because they would align to the party line.

Having said that, what we have in the elected government is a result of complacency and inertia within the electorate.  I don't know how that is changed. 

But, going back to the DBC  debate, much was made of councillors who were unelected as if that impaired their mandate.  It doesn't, and shouldn't even be raised as an issue. 

That is how democracy works and the fact that there were wards with only one candidate does not reflect on the candidate, but the complacency and inertia of the electorate.

The GMP is actually quite politically naive. That would be solved,  IMHO,  by party politics,  not by a cheery face on your doorstep  promising things that can never be delivered.  They are just one candidate, and just one MHK if they win the beauty parade. 

Did any DBC councillors stand on the promotion of reducing bin collections? Any mandate anywhere? Out of interest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

It clearly does impair their mandate, they have a leader of the council driving council policy that nobody even voted for. I thought this thread was about spreading warm Xmas greetings not trying to repeat arguments from other threads. So have a day off. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Not necessarily. The GMP put individuals in post in both national and local Govt on an elected basis in the belief that their democratically-expressed wishes would be upheld and enacted upon.

Some of the elected and far too many of the unelected decided to take matters into their own hands with more than one eye on their own benefits and furtherance. Whilst recognising and ensuring that there is little accountability for doing so.

That is why we are where we are.

Really - in this thread. FFS

2 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

It clearly does impair their mandate, they have a leader of the council driving council policy that nobody even voted for. I thought this thread was about spreading warm Xmas greetings not trying to repeat arguments from other threads. So have a day off. 

Right back atcha! 🙂

Merry Christmas, everyone!   And all the best for a happy and healthy 2023! 

Slàinte mhath!  🥃

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Shhh! This is a Christmas thread. Keep the council bashing to the other thread or you’ll make baby Jesus cry. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Anyone said:

Anyway , most in Douglas get in unopposed. 

3 out of 12 is not "most". That's an F in maths for you, I'm afraid. 

Anyway, this is the Christmas thread. Relax and listen to some Bach. Been a while since I was able to play the Toccata, and certainly never to the level of Brigitte Fruth. It may not be the biggest church organ in the world anymore, but I assure you experiencing it live is a religious experience even if you're not religious. It's the musical equivalent of the TT. You feel it through every fibre of your body when you witness it. I just wish I would have been able to witness it with my dad, who introduced me to the wonderful world of classical music. Just imagine that Bach wrote this over 300 years ago, with every single note dotted down by hand with ink on paper. Not my video btw. 

• Thanks 1