Public Toilets

hissingsid

The DOI are getting stick regarding the toilets in Castletown but surely it is up to the Commissioners to provide public toilets and service them. I know Onchan Commissioners do and the DBC do and am pretty sure Peel do.   The DOI may own the building which is clouding the issue but the Commissioners are collecting rates for this service amongst others.

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The DOI are getting stick regarding the toilets in Castletown but surely it is up to the Commissioners to provide public toilets and service them. I know Onchan Commissioners do and the DBC do and am pretty sure Peel do.   The DOI may own the building which is clouding the issue but the Commissioners are collecting rates for this service amongst others.

The Castletown toilets are owned by the DOI. The Commissioners only lease them. Why should they continue to lease them if they aren’t fit for purpose as the DOI won’t refurbish them? It’s no different to any landlord situation. Why would anyone pay to rent sub standard premises? 

• Like 2

I’m sure Minister Thomas will no doubt hit social media to issue point by point rebuttal to claims, and counter claims. IOMG and the the local authorities are quite prepared to squabble, use this issue between them as a political football, or big stick in which to beat each other. No doubt IOMG in its infinite wisdom will commission a report, like the swimming pools on public conveniences, who should maintain and own them, Surely this island has more worrying things to be concerned with? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

In this case I think the historic reason the toilets are DoI is that they are there to provide a service to harbour users - a DoI responsibility.  I you think about it most of the Island's harbours have (often fairly basic) facilities.  Clearly the fine gentlemen and ladies who now run the DoI do not wish to be associated with providing such vulgar services to the public - or indeed any services if they can help it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

But surely there's nothing more worrying than being somewhere without an open convenience, at just the most inconvenient time.

I couldn’t agree more. However what we have is a local authority arguing the toss, who in turn is blaming others. Public Conveniences are necessary if the island is to have 500,000 plus tourists a year. This should be something that should be resolved easily without the usual nonsense, and politicos questions. Personally I would rather money is spent on this issue, and other pie in the sky schemes or money wasting ideas are kicked into the long grass. 

• Thanks 1

Back for Christmas/ New Year and this sticks out as a Prime Example of why I left

Its a fucking toilet, I can't imagine, in fact I know, it would cost less than £15- 20k to refurbish the porcelain and a few tiles.

Yet despite this easy option we have the DOI dick waving at the Castletown Commissionaires who are waving back a smaller member - I will let you fill in CTown MHKs names here yourselves.....

What a CHILDISH argument, grow up you Manxies, it is pathetic seeing this type of stuff but makes me thank my choice of leaving this pathetic excuse for a country and taking my family with me. 

Happy New Year 🙂 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Back for Christmas/ New Year and this sticks out as a Prime Example of why I left

Its a fucking toilet, I can't imagine, in fact I know, it would cost less than £15- 20k to refurbish the porcelain and a few tiles.

Yet despite this easy option we have the DOI dick waving at the Castletown Commissionaires who are waving back a smaller member - I will let you fill in CTown MHKs names here yourselves.....

What a CHILDISH argument, grow up you Manxies, it is pathetic seeing this type of stuff but makes me thank my choice of leaving this pathetic excuse for a country and taking my family with me. 

Happy New Year 🙂 

It's the Manx way Blade Runner. We even argue over a public toilet like it's the Alamo. No one cares about the big stuff and the millions wasted. That's why they get away with it.

Good to hear from you though. Which part of the world are you living now ?

• Like 4

In their current form I would hesitate to take a piss in them, they were dilapidated and utterly filthy, clearly no maintenance or anything else.

True to form we'd rather let something go to rack and ruin than maintain it and keep it clean, then moan and argue about the costs !

We really couldn't run a piss up in a pisshouse !

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Happy New Year 🙂 

Ouch. Bit of anger management needed there.

Though we can all agree that not providing public toilets and instead two authorities having a pissing contest over them is pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, asitis said:

In their current form I would hesitate to take a piss in them, they were dilapidated and utterly filthy, clearly no maintenance or anything else.

True to form we'd rather let something go to rack and ruin than maintain it and keep it clean, then moan and argue about the costs !

We really couldn't run a piss up in a pisshouse !

Or as some have commented - only a matter of time until someone proposes a, very, expensive consultant’s report on them. Followed by a reno costing hundreds of thousands. 

For a novel approach, why don’t DOI transfer ownership to the commissioners with modest updating grant attached (say ten thousand). The commissioners get new asset that their residents appreciate, and can update and hold reopening ceremony (got to get PR photo). DOI get shot of them and out of the way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1