IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

Aproximately four years ago, I was invited to a Tynwald Committee with about four others, one of which is no longer about (R.I.P) and told some very inconvenient truths (in our opinions) about the Road Transport Licensing Committee, Bus Vannin, Taxis, Private Hire cars, legislation, etc etc etc. 

I spent several days preparing for the hearing, presented and handed in several pages of evidence and put my neck and possibly my dreadful career on the line to assist the Government Committee in the hope they might do something about it. Nothing and I mean nothing ever came out of it. From what I understand the RTLC never found the time to attend. They are so busy down there in St John's love em. 

One year ago I did the very same for myself and 20,000 gas consumers. I was invited in front of another committee. I put my neck on the block again, spoke about the injustices of the previous five years, again spent several days preparing for the hearing, presented much evidence in the hope that something positive might come out of it. The promised and never repaid refund would go a long way to fixing the issue just a bit. 

I still of course have that hope that a report will be published, but 26 years of living here and realising that unfortunately fairness is not quite balanced, I am starting to worry slightly that the two scenarios might both end up the same way. Let's hope not. It truly would be a real shame!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Aproximately four years ago, I was invited to a Tynwald Committee with about four others, one of which is no longer about (R.I.P) and told some very inconvenient truths (in our opinions) about the Road Transport Licensing Committee, Bus Vannin, Taxis, Private Hire cars, legislation, etc etc etc. 

I spent several days preparing for the hearing, presented and handed in several pages of evidence and put my neck and possibly my dreadful career on the line to assist the Government Committee in the hope they might do something about it. Nothing and I mean nothing ever came out of it. From what I understand the RTLC never found the time to attend. They are so busy down there in St John's love em. 

One year ago I did the very same for myself and 20,000 gas consumers. I was invited in front of another committee. I put my neck on the block again, spoke about the injustices of the previous five years, again spent several days preparing for the hearing, presented much evidence in the hope that something positive might come out of it. The promised and never repaid refund would go a long way to fixing the issue just a bit. 

I still of course have that hope that a report will be published, but 26 years of living here and realising that unfortunately fairness is not quite balanced, I am starting to worry slightly that the two scenarios might both end up the same way. Let's hope not. It truly would be a real shame!

You're pissing into the wind mate!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When I've spoken with the CEO of CURA about this he's been clear and informative, even if I've not always agreed with CURA's approach at least it makes sense.

The trouble is CURA only have oversight of a tiny bit of the problem, the profit margin. The rest of it still rests with the toothless and useless OFT.

It's a mystery why a Chief Minister with an investment banking background will give a free pass to a hedge fund.

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

When I've spoken with the CEO of CURA about this he's been clear and informative, even if I've not always agreed with CURA's approach at least it makes sense.

The trouble is CURA only have oversight of a tiny bit of the problem, the profit margin. The rest of it still rests with the toothless and useless OFT.

It's a mystery why a Chief Minister with an investment banking background will give a free pass to a hedge fund.

I thought CM Cannan was involved with being a recruitment consultant, with him having a recruiting consulting business supplying staff to business? 

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Mr Kiely is a truly great guy. He does fully understand the circumstances around the failures not just of the 2015 gas agreement, but the failures (in my opinion of the OFT to not implement a price review in 2020) and also the greed of the said gas company. CURA at the moment however have very limited powers only relating to pricing. The rest still lies with the OFT. Bad situation really and it's a shame that the 'new' administration did not carry on where the previous administration left off. The current Government seem to do f-all when it comes to consumer rights and fairness. 

I am pushing the campaign now to encourage the Economic Policy Review Committee to publish the report into gas supply and the failure of the gas company to pay a refund to it's customers. I shouldn't have to, but that's what I intend to do. All the Committee interviews are completed now, we the aggrieved public need to read what we already know. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, finlo said:

After 26 years you're not resigned to how this place operates?

I will try to give a better answer. I think my first answer wasn't quite right and assuming it's a fair and genuine question Finlo I'll try better.  The way the island is run upsets me a lot. I feel the establishment let the people down all the time. For an island that has such a very small population there truly is no need for the lack of action regarding several matters, but with regards this post, the blatant disregard of fairness for gas consumers particularly relating to the period 2015 up to 2021.  

It's not good enough to just forget and move on. That's why the injustice happens time after time again. I won't allow myself to become one of those people. Regarding the Economic Policy Review Committee and the investigation into gas wrongdoings up till 2021, the Committee will have been paid to come up with findings. All I am simply doing is campaigning to get the results out so we can all move on. I was the fellow that had led a campaign against banding standing charges years ago and then pushed for a regulator. Following that I pushed for an investigation by publishing a petition. I was successful in gaining the committee investigation. Now all I simply want is the findings published and refunds paid if it is found they are actually due. 

Apologies for my short answer to your short question. My intentions are only ever good. I admin a FB group locally called 'Moneywatch IOM'. I have committed to the gas disgrace for many years. It's just closure I need now. 

• Thanks 8

49 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

It's not good enough to just forget and move on. That's why the injustice happens time after time again. I won't allow myself to become one of those people.

Good on ya, Bazza, more power to you. If more of us had this attitude, energy and sense of commitment, maybe we wouldn't be in this big of a mess to begin with. 

Thank you for doing what must often feel like a thankless task, on behalf of a very cynical population. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I will try to give a better answer. I think my first answer wasn't quite right and assuming it's a fair and genuine question Finlo I'll try better.  The way the island is run upsets me a lot. I feel the establishment let the people down all the time. For an island that has such a very small population there truly is no need for the lack of action regarding several matters, but with regards this post, the blatant disregard of fairness for gas consumers particularly relating to the period 2015 up to 2021.  

It's not good enough to just forget and move on. That's why the injustice happens time after time again. I won't allow myself to become one of those people. Regarding the Economic Policy Review Committee and the investigation into gas wrongdoings up till 2021, the Committee will have been paid to come up with findings. All I am simply doing is campaigning to get the results out so we can all move on. I was the fellow that had led a campaign against banding standing charges years ago and then pushed for a regulator. Following that I pushed for an investigation by publishing a petition. I was successful in gaining the committee investigation. Now all I simply want is the findings published and refunds paid if it is found they are actually due. 

Apologies for my short answer to your short question. My intentions are only ever good. I admin a FB group locally called 'Moneywatch IOM'. I have committed to the gas disgrace for many years. It's just closure I need now. 

50 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Good on ya, Bazza, more power to you. If more of us had this attitude, energy and sense of commitment, maybe we wouldn't be in this big of a mess to begin with. 

Thank you for doing what must often feel like a thankless task, on behalf of a very cynical population. 

Appreciate your kind words. I have never asked for a single penny of anybody since trying to find truths back in 2015. I use whatever free media platforms I can find to make uncomfortable reading for a few. I appreciate it makes me look like a daft and somewhat crazy guy sometimes, but it has worked a little so far and it's all free so that makes it even better. 🙏 As much as MF pees me off at times, I for one appreciate that it is followed and read 'by those in charge'. For that I am grateful for the opportunity 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I was successful in gaining the committee investigation. Now all I simply want is the findings published and refunds paid if it is found they are actually due. 

As a gas customer I appreciate your efforts Bazza, well done.

As one who attended the Tynwald "protests", I well remember the looks on the faces of those two self-serving wasters, Perkins and Corkish in particular, as they were given the petition at the Tynwald door on Prospect Hill; as in, "Who do this rabble think they are?". The same Perkins who defended the previous agreement as Chair of the OFT.

If you manage to get this taxpayer-funded Report published, ask them where the Steam Packet Report is too, please.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As a gas customer I appreciate your efforts Bazza, well done.

As one who attended the Tynwald "protests", I well remember the looks on the faces of those two self-serving wasters, Perkins and Corkish in particular, as they were given the petition at the Tynwald door on Prospect Hill; as in, "Who do this rabble think they are?". The same Perkins who defended the previous agreement as Chair of the OFT.

If you manage to get this taxpayer-funded Report published, ask them where the Steam Packet Report is too, please.

Thank you. I'll remember that day forever. Suffice to say, many didn't take the challenge seriously then and many laughed. Some still do laugh, but thankfully not so many. It's just very important now to see this to the final day. 

I am not familiar regarding the SP report. If there is something that needs investigation however people power should push it. I will try to educate myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

It's not good enough to just forget and move on. That's why the injustice happens time after time again.

Completely agree. Callister saying we should let bygones be bygones is exactly why the hedge funders continue to get away with what they get away with.

I don't think there is widespread corruption here. What I do think we have are too many low-wattage MHKs who think they're cleverer than they are, and who bend over the second someone blows some smoke up their arse. Perkins and Boot as ministers of state, I wouldn't trust them to ask if you want fries with that and not screw it up.

• Like 4