IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

It's a mystery why a Chief Minister with an investment banking background will give a free pass to a hedge fund.

A job for Scooby Doo? Where are those pesky kids from Extinction Rebellion when you need them? Think investigating protesting the evil fossil fuel monopolies shady (or at least dubious) practices might be right up their alley. 

Investment banking = gambling with other peoples money. No change there then. 

2 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I will try to give a better answer. I think my first answer wasn't quite right and assuming it's a fair and genuine question Finlo I'll try better.  The way the island is run upsets me a lot. I feel the establishment let the people down all the time. For an island that has such a very small population there truly is no need for the lack of action regarding several matters, but with regards this post, the blatant disregard of fairness for gas consumers particularly relating to the period 2015 up to 2021.  

It's not good enough to just forget and move on. That's why the injustice happens time after time again. I won't allow myself to become one of those people. Regarding the Economic Policy Review Committee and the investigation into gas wrongdoings up till 2021, the Committee will have been paid to come up with findings. All I am simply doing is campaigning to get the results out so we can all move on. I was the fellow that had led a campaign against banding standing charges years ago and then pushed for a regulator. Following that I pushed for an investigation by publishing a petition. I was successful in gaining the committee investigation. Now all I simply want is the findings published and refunds paid if it is found they are actually due. 

Apologies for my short answer to your short question. My intentions are only ever good. I admin a FB group locally called 'Moneywatch IOM'. I have committed to the gas disgrace for many years. It's just closure I need now. 

Hey Bazza, what is the name of the report? I'm happy to write my MHK's for answers.

15 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Completely agree. Callister saying we should let bygones be bygones

It's the standard modus operandi of Govt and CS; dust it away and move on as quickly as possible (and a few on these boards too) on most occasions and don't look back. The whole idea being that it will be forgotten about and any responsibility for it can be disowned. Passage of time quickly blurs the tracks.

Even though the public have previously paid heavily and/or are frequently left with the tab. But hey, when you're pulling £60k+ pa from Tynwald, it's easy to be casually dismissive.

• Like 2

Heres' a list of the 24 MHK's and email addresses and honorifics from Tynwald site.
On the odd occasion I've written to one or two of them, I've always had polite, inforamtive and considered replies.
It might take a few days but worth the wait. Pretty sure you can ask them to ask a question in the HOK if they don't have the answers trhemselves. Like "Where is the report?"

Arbory, Castletown & Malew  Tim Glover Tim.Glover@gov.im Mr Glover  
Jason Moorhosue Jason.Moorhouse@gov.im Mr Moorhouse  
Ayre & Michael  Alfred Cannan Alfred.Cannan@gov.im Mr Cannan Chief Minister
Tim Johnston Tim.Johnston@gov.im Mr Johnston  
Douglas Central  Anne Corlett Ann.Corlett@gov.im Mrs Corlett  
Chris Thomas Chris.thomas@gov.im Mr Thomas Minister Thomas
Douglas East  Clare Barber Clare.Barber@gov.im Mrs Barber Minister Barber
Joney Faragher joney.faragher@gov.im Ms Fargher  
Douglas North David Ashford David.ashford@gov.im Mr Ashford  
John Wannenburgh John.Wannenburgh@gov.im Mr Wannenburgh  
Douglas South  Claire Christian Claire.Christian@gov.im Mrs Christian  
Sarah Maltby sarah.maltby@gov.im Mrs Maltby  
Garff Andrew Smith andrew.smithMHK@gov.im Mr Smith  
Daphne Caine Daphne.Caine@gov.im Mrs Caine  
Glenfaba & Peel  Kate Lord Brennan kate.lord-brennan@gov.im Mrs Lord-Brennan Minister Lord-Brennan
Tim Crookall tim.crookall@gov.im Mr Crookall  
Middle Jane Poole-Wilson Jane.poole-wilson@gov.im Mrs Poole-Wilson Minister Poole-Wilson
Stu Peters stu.peters@gov.im Mr Peters  
Onchan Julie Edge Julie.Edge@gov.im Ms Edge Minister Edge
Rob Callister Rob.Callister@gov.im Mr Callister  
Ramsey Alex Allinson Alex.allinson2@gov.im Dr Allinson Minister Allinson
Lawrie Hooper lawrie@lhooperiom.com Mr Hooper Minister Hooper
Rushen Juan Watterson juan.watterson@gov.im Mr Speaker  
Michelle Haywood Michelle.Haywood@gov.im Dr Haywood  
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Hey Bazza, what is the name of the report? I'm happy to write my MHK's for answers.

I'm not sure about the name of the report per-say but it's the investigation that has been running for the last 12 months into gas regulation and refunds/rebates. So far MHk Chris Thomas has been in, I have, the Cabinet Office (in private), the OFT and the MUA. I will look back through emails tomorrow to see if I can find a specific title. The Committee is the Economic Policy Review Committee. 

57 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Completely agree. Callister saying we should let bygones be bygones is exactly why the hedge funders continue to get away with what they get away with.

I don't think there is widespread corruption here. What I do think we have are too many low-wattage MHKs who think they're cleverer than they are, and who bend over the second someone blows some smoke up their arse. Perkins and Boot as ministers of state, I wouldn't trust them to ask if you want fries with that and not screw it up.

I'm sure Chris Thomas is on record saying let bygones be bygones with respect to MG.

I have to say, since MG came to Tynwald cap in hand asking for a rise in gas prices in the early days of this administration, the whole saga has been handled appallingly by government. That's not to say that they hadn't handled it extremely poorly in the past.

They're basically standing by and watching, even facilitating, these hedge funders take the piss out of the Manx public, the regulation they've put in place is merely window dressing as it has been for the communications industry for years, as the current debacle demonstrates.

As you say we have too many low wattage MHK's who are happy to do the bare minimum. I'm pretty sure despite the protestations of Stu Peters and others that it's impossible to do anything once elected, had we been lucky enough to be represented politically by someone with the selfless integrity of Bazza Smurf then the situation would be considerably better than it continues to be at the moment.

• Like 2

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words MHK Chris Thomas was the first individual to be interviewed by the Committee. Chris was deemed to be an interested party because he was Chair of the Howard Quayle Government Gas Committee formed circa 2016/17. 

Chris went on record there by stating he felt it important to get a report out asap to bring the matter to some kind of a resolution. 

Personally I think looking back I think Chris did all he could given all the precarious opinions and resolutions that Tynwald 'spoke' about. 

Whilst all the different opinions were getting kicked about however, the OFT lost interest in 2020 (IN MY OPINION) and consumers lost out big time when gas was at times less than 50p per therm wholesale. No price reviews were instigated and one can only dream of the profits that were made. 

The whole sorry saga was disgraceful and I'm only touching the surface in those few lines. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

https://www.tynwald.org.im/spfile?file=/business/hansard/20202040/t230118-RHF.pdf

Pages 37-41 About OFT and Manx Gas*. Toothless and spineless too. Never once mentioned actual dates when asked, all the usual lazy politics. On a critical item like this I would expect to know when every meeting between OFT and Manx Gas took place and what timescales were agreed.

Instead it's all whining about legislation etc. Doesn't stop you asking Manx Gas point blank for the number of complaints they are dealing with and what their timeframe is for dealing with it. I'd be expecting weekly updates on the number of cases resolved to ensure they are on track.

Trouble is MUA is too far in bed with Manx Gas and all parties are seemingly hoping it'll all just go away.

Meanwhile Manx Gas can bang on all they want on MR adverts about wanting to help you save energy, looking to alternatives, service your boiler etc. when most people wouldn't trust them to find there own ass with both hands. I think many would relish an alternative supplier, after all they can do it in the UK why not here.

*You can change the name to Island Energy but calling a pig a horse doesn't make it so. More like Incompotent Exploitation.  

Seems at least the mouthpiece Jo Cox has gone very quiet ~ small blessings.

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Meanwhile Manx Gas can bang on all they want on MR adverts about wanting to help you save energy

perhaps, but if they wanted to help you save 'money' , they'd tell you to switch to oil if you could,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Particular irony that on the day BP announced obscene profits (just like their blood brothers Shell), got utilities bills: gas doubled (2 months would suck up a month’s OAP) and electric up - but by comparison was wonderful. 

But of course, these leeches can’t wait to stop gouging prices and reduce them back to what they were now global price has dropped …. Not holding breath.