IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

I haven't had a smart meter inflicted on me yet but what does concern me is the number of people who claim that their bills have increased (considerably in some cases) since their installations.

I don't quite grasp how this can be because the meter should only measure and record consumption. Unless their "old" meters were under-recording, why would their billing with the new meters be significantly higher?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I haven't had a smart meter inflicted on me yet but what does concern me is the number of people who claim that their bills have increased (considerably in some cases) since their installations.

I don't quite grasp how this can be because the meter should only measure and record consumption. Unless their "old" meters were under-recording, why would their billing with the new meters be significantly higher?

I have a smart meter and its pretty cool.. You can monitor it and what a difference it makes turning everything off when not using…Cooker , boiler , TV etc 

I think people are forgetting there have been two big rises in the last months. Mine seems fine. Between £1.50 and £1,80 a day. And recently have been in for most of the days.

Edited by Numbnuts

18 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I don't know the answer to that, but this is another opportunity for Mr Allinson to explain that the £20 million expenditure will not cost the users a penny:

Well that’s why I asked as if it isn’t costing us a penny my guess would be that someone like Calvin Capital is probably financing the programme. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

2 hours ago, tucker said:

Just got the latest bill ,the b*st*rds have "lost" my last payment AGAIN!

Dont worry , the OFT are your friend , Wannenburgh says so !! 

Its criminal that OFT or somebody hasn't done something positive to stop there consistent incompetence.  

Edited by Numbnuts

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well that’s why I asked as if it isn’t costing us a penny my guess would be that someone like Calvin Capital is probably financing the programme. 

I was looking at who is ultimately at the end of the chain. If Calvin Capital provides the loan, Manx Utilities repays the loan to Calvin using the consumer's money. MUA has no other source of income other than from the users.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I was looking at who is ultimately at the end of the chain. If Calvin Capital provides the loan, Manx Utilities repays the loan to Calvin using the consumer's money. MUA has no other source of income other than from the users.

Yet those in power say we are not paying for them. They are taking us for fools 

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

Got a notice today that 2 bills in Jan had not been paid. Called the accounts number and it was call centre in Scotland that have been contracted to deal with IOM Energy Billing customer enquiries. How much is this costing and who pays for it…..

it costs a fortune and gas users are paying for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Having a letter addressed to my husband arrive was bad enough,  but a bill of£1000+ is a double whammy

Pretty damn poor.

Tempting to suggest bearding them in their den at South Quay and demanding an apology and an explanation.   Probably cost less in petrol than in mobile phone credit.

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I pay my gas by direct debit. My bills are low and I'm usually in credit by a small amount.

This morning a 'reminder' arrived address to my late husband for two unpaid pills from early 2022. The total comes to £1067. 

I have every invoice for the last ten years and there have been no outstanding amounts due or otherwise. 

Interestingly, there has been no bill from Manx Gas since January 2023 and that one was in credit. I've been paying the direct debits ever since.

No answer on the phone and I've just ran though my phone credit holding on in the hope that someone might answer. 

Having a letter addressed to my husband arrive was bad enough,  but a bill of£1000+ is a double whammy,

I'm not up to date with the latest news re the fiasco that is Manx Gas so just wondered if anyone can shed any light on what is the current situation?

Go in person to their office. It’s better face to face …………….. if you speak to them face to face, they can’t deny a conversation didn’t take place, and also you will have CCTV as back up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Island Energy actually issued a press release last month saying they had "an issue with our customer service telephone numbers".  I suspect the main reason is not enough lines with not enough people who know what they are talking about.  Instead they are making people redundant.  This mess up over the new system has been going on for at least ten months (they were already apologising last October) and doesn't seem to be improving.

The one time I managed to get through I got someone obviously clueless who didn't do what they promised (even though it was just sending out a bill).  I also sent a very detailed follow-up e-mail with all possible references etc and got a reply about a fortnight later and action about a month after that.  So you might be better sending an e-mail and at least that will show you sent it and the info you gave.

If you decide to go to South Quay, they seem to open 10-4 only.

• Thanks 1