IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

I think OFT has been told to use a soft approach the last thing the Government wants or needs is to become a reluctant provider of the gas supply especially as it has made such a bollocks of the MEA.    If Manx Gas fails the government would have to pick up the pieces even as an interim measure.    There must be a lot of people owing the Company money and a lot of final demands floating around.

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

What is the OFT for? Certainly seems they've fallen asleep at the wheel.

Regulators on the IOM and elsewhere in my opinion are mostly useless. In my view they are civil servants giving the illusion of keeping matters in order, and do little to rock the boat. From my observations there may be a revolving door between the financial sector and the regulators. Jobs for the boys maybe.

If some Tom/Dick/Harriet has the temerity to complain to them it is unlikely that anything will happen. A few mealy mouthed platitudes served with tea and biscuits, to appease rather than solve an issue will most likely be the result.

In my view the regulatory authorities are of no use to ordinary people. They are only there to appease and kow tow to their paymasters, the financial sector.

If you have an issue then expect no action and a flurry of platitudes.

What can be done?

MHK's in my opinion are useless gobshites.

Taking legal action would be expensive and problematical , unless you have connections and deep pockets.

Police? Probably want a quiet life and will deflect. Not their issue.

Is what I hear fraud, demanding money with menaces, outright theft?  Does incompetence get a pass?

If this company is an such a bad and is rotten to the core then it needs a kick to bring it down, and would need taking over by some competent entity (which automatically rules out the IOM Government). A competent regulator and government would already be actively dealing with the matter.

Perhaps the aggrieved should meet up, form a plan, and act on it. A large number of aggrieved customers making a lot of noise might help.

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The sad thing is that with all these erroneous final demands, none end up in court.  They just cut off the customer, I suppose. 

I got my issue sorted today. It was an error. That they sent the final demand to my departed husband was unexplained but they have logged it as a complaint. Someone is going to call me. Probably when Nelson gets his eye back.

They're also going to send me a bill (first since January - and apparently I'm in credit.

So, it's all good.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I got my issue sorted today. It was an error. That they sent the final demand to my departed husband was unexplained but they have logged it as a complaint. Someone is going to call me. Probably when Nelson gets his eye back.

They're also going to send me a bill (first since January - and apparently I'm in credit.

So, it's all good.

1 down 10,000* to go.

*No basis in fact just an estimate but I'll stick by it until OFT or Manx Gas prove otherwise.

Edited by CallMeCurious

• 2 weeks later...

I've been extremely patient with Manx Gas?  They have a new name l believe?  Anyway 8 weeks ago l returned to my house to a card stating, contact us, you were out when we  called. I rang a mobile number the manx gas number was crossed out. To be informed, my gas pipes have corroded and need attention and meter needs to be removed, l told the engineer l don't have any gas at my home l had it capped off at the road, so l thought. He said l will call back and do a survey. No he didn't.  I rang Manx Gas this morning, l really wish l hadn't, apparently the number stating 01624 goes to a call centre in Scotland. The rudeness of this individual whom l spoke was astonishing, l realise after great length to explain my situation that he wasn't on island, and his reply was, hold on,  l have no idea whom you are can l have your email, No l said why do you want it. I decided to opt out of this poor situation and decided to visit Manx Gas. I was armed with info as my dear friend has had the most dreadful time with her absolutely enormous gas bill totalling £1500 for the last quarter, a single lady whom basically is so afraid to turn her heating she goes out to in the day and at night to hopefully not get such another bill. Anyway they take my mobile number and l answer to a young who tells this is the 2nd time he's rung me apparently l didn't answer, he sounded annoyed, l ignored this comment, he goes on to tell me my gas pipes have corroded badly leading up to my house and they will tap it off at the road, this surprise me as l was under the impression this had been done 10 years! Before l asked what about the meter? Oh! we thought we had removed it weeks ago, no you haven't l replied.  My goodness what an absolute shower. 

• Thanks 1

These horror stories just keep coming and nothing is done about it.  A pensioner friend of mine got a ridiculously high bill it did eventually get sorted out after she took receipts etc down to the office.   She was so upset she demanded they remove the gas meter etc from her house and has now installed oil, she was lucky she owns her house and could afford to do this bit what about the poor people in rented accommodation that just have to pay up or freeze or go without hot water ?

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, ADELE said:

These horror stories just keep coming and nothing is done about it.  A pensioner friend of mine got a ridiculously high bill it did eventually get sorted out after she took receipts etc down to the office.   She was so upset she demanded they remove the gas meter etc from her house and has now installed oil, she was lucky she owns her house and could afford to do this bit what about the poor people in rented accommodation that just have to pay up or freeze or go without hot water ?

My friend whom is elderly got almost £1000 gas bill she went to see them to query it and they then presented her at the counter with a much larger bill of £1500.00 she decided to pay the 1st bill within 2 weeks was sent a reminder and red letter saying she was in arrears that she must pay the remaining £500. I wish she would have refused them but she was really worried about it and just paid without even challenging them, l would most certainly have done so on her her behalf.  Her bills are usually approximately £400. Mmmmm. 

Edited by Lilly
Missing word

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

CONCLUSION ONE:

In the Committee’s opinion, public reputation, perception, and trust in Manx Gas (Isle of Man Energy) has been negatively impacted since, and may take some time to repair.

By "some time" I suspect they mean "to infinity, and beyond".

Just now, Sheldon said:

CONCLUSION ONE:

In the Committee’s opinion, public reputation, perception, and trust in Manx Gas (Isle of Man Energy) has been negatively impacted since, and may take some time to repair.

By "some time" I suspect they mean "to infinity, and beyond".

I see Bazz Lightyear is in the room!:cool:

• Haha 2

Rebate? Nah.

The committee also notes the billing fiasco (and the ongoing lack of resolution and abysmal communication) but can do absolutely nothing about it under its terms of reference other than hope that legislation might be tightened in future.

Well, that was a worthwhile exercise then. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Rebate? Nah.

The committee also notes the billing fiasco (and the ongoing lack of resolution and abysmal communication) but can do absolutely nothing about it under its terms of reference other than hope that legislation might be tightened in future.

Well, that was a worthwhile exercise then. 

250+ pages of weighty tome and how many hours and costs to reach that conclusion? 🥴

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

OFT should fine them over this. Big style.

Not fit for purpose.. and when they eventually sort these bills, hundreds of people will face owing them £thousands, all in one hit with a limited time to pay.

Only issue is they will just increase their prices to pay for it as they appear to be able to spend what ever they want as their profits are protected