IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And, of course, the operating company is different in Jersey to IoM. One could go, without taking the other down.

Yes but they very closely entwined . If ! Jersey is found negligent it will , in my opinion , have massive repercussions on the IoM operation. Hope I’m wrong but don’t think I will be. 

Edited by Numbnuts

23 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

"a rogue code", eh? Well that explains everything.

Good to see that Jo Cox hasn't lost her natural talent for communications.

Rogue code that stopped their backup system?  Sounds like Ashford level of comprehension around IT issues.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

"a rogue code", eh? Well that explains everything.

Good to see that Jo Cox hasn't lost her natural talent for communications.

Probably a device reported an error code which the software didn't handle. Error testing is a PITA...

" Ms Cox said back-up systems had also failed.

"All of them failed at exactly the same time because of the code," she said.

"The chances of that happening is like winning the EuroMillions.""

Well, individual events happening by chance at the same time is like winning the lottery. If multiple systems have a common failure point, and that point fails, it is guaranteed that everything will shut down at the same time.

Maybe Cox knows that she is talking nonsense, but it's just a press release.

It would be sensible for software used in this situation to be developed to the same standard as military and avionics systems - where testing is not optional. But that kind of development is..... expensive.

[My son is a programmer who worked for a while at the Jaguar Cars Design Centre in England. He mentioned to me some problems with security on the buses (not the 107 from Barnet), and I suggested they should get people with avionics experience into the company. He said there was an ex-avionics engineer. He did not like the rigorous nature of that kind of work, so he joined a car company where standards were much more relaxed).

Edited by Two-lane

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

" Ms Cox said back-up systems had also failed.

"All of them failed at exactly the same time because of the code," she said.

"The chances of that happening is like winning the EuroMillions.""

Well, individual events happening by chance at the same time is like winning the lottery. If multiple systems have a common failure point, and that point fails, it is guaranteed that everything will shut down at the same time.

Maybe Cox knows that she is talking nonsense, but it's just a press release.

It would be sensible for software used in this situation to be developed to the same standard as military and avionics systems - where testing is not optional. But that kind of development is..... expensive.

[My son is a programmer who worked for a while at the Jaguar Cars Design Centre in England. He mentioned to me some problems with security on the buses (not the 107 from Barnet), and I suggested they should get people with avionics experience into the company. He said there was an ex-avionics engineer. He did not like the rigorous nature of that kind of work, so he joined a car company where standards were much more relaxed).

What happened with the UK flight control system?

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What happened with the UK flight control system?

Oh, you are a one for impertinent questions. The answer is - that's what happens when organisations are taken over by managers who have no technical background and know only money.

The first couple of minutes or so of this video presents an interesting view of NATS (and if only the MHKs here would do the same):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Q-5IumT2Q

21 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Most restaurants and Hotels use gas to cook so they won’t be happy as their tourist season is still going until the end of October.

They’re not with most reporting full bookings for weekend & completely lost, assuming compensation demands will follow