IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

critical exception -> blue screen of death

To cover that off requires testing the whole ecosystem from the operating system up. Even if the system itself passes every imaginable test first time, does it do it after its been running for a day, or a week, or a year? What about when other applications are running, or after a vital security patch is applied? Even if you test all that every time, a hardware component might simply overheat or fail. That's why it's vital to design as much redundancy into the architecture as possible, and it's pretty much unforgivable for NATS to lose a backup system at the same time as a primary on such an important application.

I have no knowledge of Island Energy's systems, but I'd be surprised if the important stuff was developed in-house. This doesn't absolve them from any and all appropriate testing, of course, and from having a proven and well-rehearsed recovery plan.

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

IOMG had a chance to take over these greedy clowns and didn't take it. Next time manxgas screws up their cashflow they may want to rethink how they handle it. 

The gas pipes on the rock are old and leaky.

If IOMG took over,  their H&S bods would see the island bankrupt within 2 years replacing leaky pipes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

The gas pipes on the rock are old and leaky.

If IOMG took over,  their H&S bods would see the island bankrupt within 2 years replacing leaky pipes

Decades ago they replaced the gas pipes on the prom. I think they shoved a mole down the old pipe to break it open and then pulled through new, blue, plastic piping.

Gas cannot be treated like other services.  If water leaks, your carpets get wet and the driveway gets washed. If electricity cables get old and corrodes, you can't turn on the TV.

If gas leaks, even if there is no one nearby smoking or using a mobile phone, there is eventually going to be a serious explosion.

Surely the IoM is not being lax with gas service security?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

John , I realise private dwellings can be heated by gas cylinders but Jersey has a lot of hotels and restaurants surely cylinders would not be adequate for them.

It’s not what you said.

Cylinders would be adequate for cooking in a commercial kitchen. 10 cylinders in 2 banks of 5. My place in Spain was a restaurant before I bought and converted it back. They had the kitchen and gas cylinders installed. All the restaurants round here have gas cooking from cylinders.

And you can get gas tank storage that are filled up by a small tanker, just like oil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, Fred the shred said:

The cost of leccy and oil must be cheaper than gas if so few people are on it, perhaps lesser standing charges or VAT .  Bottled gas would not be suitable for heating .   This company does not create any confidence in its performance.     Now the oil will be going up with the dreadful situation in Gaza .    It makes sense to have our own source of power be it solar, wind or water it is just the Government in charge of any of these sources makes me nervous, very nervous, especially as we are skint at the minute.      What progress is there on the gas field ?   Anyone know ?   It has gone very quiet.

Channel Islands Electricity Grid (CIEG) is the joint venture between Jersey Electricity and Guernsey Electricity. The two islands cover nearly 80% of their electricity consumption by imports from EDF (Electricity de France) via submarine cables.

What a novel idea.

On 10/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, Two-lane said:

Decades ago they replaced the gas pipes on the prom. I think they shoved a mole down the old pipe to break it open and then pulled through new, blue, plastic piping.

Gas cannot be treated like other services.  If water leaks, your carpets get wet and the driveway gets washed. If electricity cables get old and corrodes, you can't turn on the TV.

If gas leaks, even if there is no one nearby smoking or using a mobile phone, there is eventually going to be a serious explosion.

Surely the IoM is not being lax with gas service security?

If I am not mistaken I believe a lot of the gas main pipes have been replaced with the blue plastic piping, and if I am not mistaken I also think you and I paid for a lot of the gas infrastructure. Which always struck me as what the fuck are we paying this for.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

If I am not mistaken I believe a lot of the gas main pipes have been replaced with the blue plastic piping, and if I am not mistaken I also think you and I paid for a lot of the gas infrastructure. Which always struck me as what the fuck are we paying this for.

Why would a gas pipe be blue?