IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So, MG/IEG have reportedly issued 90+ letters to customers who have fallen behind with their dues to MG, threatening to cut their gas off at as little as 7 days notice, it would appear.

A few MHKs (including Glover) have spoken up for the customers, raising the issue in Tynwald but the OFT says its hands are tied although Wannenburgh expresses his sympathies too.

Going on some of the FB postings, some of those threatened do actually have repayment plans already in place and ongoing but MG appear ruthless...

Well if you don’t pay your bills what do you expect? 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So, MG/IEG have reportedly issued 90+ letters to customers who have fallen behind with their dues to MG, threatening to cut their gas off at as little as 7 days notice, it would appear.

A few MHKs (including Glover) have spoken up for the customers, raising the issue in Tynwald but the OFT says its hands are tied although Wannenburgh expresses his sympathies too.

Going on some of the FB postings, some of those threatened do actually have repayment plans already in place and ongoing but MG appear ruthless...

That's why they shut the public counter.

• Like 3

Ermm how many times did this wonderful company fall behind with their payments to the MEA and had to receive numerous letters from the AGs office before they paid up and we are not talking the amount of money a domestic customer of theirs would owe.     Perhaps next time they fall behind with their payments they should be told they will have supplies cut off in  7 days .    What a liberty.   It is a matter of time before this situation occurs again.   How is the Jersey investigation going ?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Does anyone or any right thinking person seriously expect our elected politicos to actually sit up, and do anything, even with Jason Moorehouse MHK and others saying anything? This is an administration which has achieved nothing, and certainly has done nothing with Island Energy to make them take notice, change their behaviour and business practices. They have closed their offices ( you can make private appointments).

The likes of Allinson and Hooperman both of whom are dripping wet, and pretend to be man of the people types. Their obsession with assisted dying and the Bishop voting rights, are laudable but are tinkering and pandering on topics which are superfluous to what is affecting the island and its residents. Nice to haves but not priorities I’m afraid. 

I certainly can’t see CM Cannan giving a shit as to whether Island Energy disconnects customers, moralities of this area won’t concern him. The same goes for other shouty type MHKs who again aren’t bothered as to some people’s plight. 

In the UK there has been uproar as to some Utility companies use of court orders, to disconnect supplies and reconnect the supply with a prepayment meter, configured to recoup the debt. The biggest scandal being is the bailiffs entering a house, unannounced, and without permission entering. I seriously can imagine all sorts of shenanigans involving Island Energy - and all because there won’t be proper protocols or protection procedures in place. 

Let’s face it, and there are some IOMG cheerleaders on here that won’t accept that there is an underbelly within Manx society, that have various issues. Some on here permanently think the island is booming and the pavements are paved with gold, and money grows on trees! 

2112 I disagree with you entirely regarding your statement regarding Dignity in dying and the Bishop’s vote being superfluous they are subjects close to many peoples hearts and as they will probably still be undecided by the next election,due to the apathy of this government of doing anything constructive in a reasonable time mode, they will be the questions that will be discussed on doorsteps when the wannabe MHKs come around.    Regarding Manx Energy of course the Government are frightened they are terrified that this Company will go under and they will be left to pick up the pieces hence the kid glove treatment.

20 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If the OFT's hands are tied, and all MHKs can seem to do is offer their sympathy, why then, when voting to allow MG to hike the price of their gas, did they(along with MG) advise people to heat their homes even if they couldn't afford it? I get that it's a nice and caring thing to say, but if it's not backed up with any action or support, then it's completely pointless. 

You can't advise people to use gas they can't afford on one hand, and then throw them under the bus with the other when they're struggling with the inevitable debt.

Well, Manx Gas have threatened me with disconnection! I may be about to sue, and I’m certainly investigating, seriously, alternatives.

Just want to be clear. I don’t owe them anything. 

For years I’ve had a monthly SO. I’ve adjusted it up if it wasn’t covering bills. The last couple of years with prices going up, and down, I left it at the highest level.

This year started with me away for 2 months, Paul away for 4, between January and April. Months of biggest bills. I’ve also not been sent bills, had three consecutive estimated bills. So, late September when I had a bill that was so obviously wrong, I asked for a running account showing all consumption, bills and receipts since January 2021. My September bill showed consumption billed at £6 and 4 SO receipts in 2 months and was supposed to be an actual reading. As was my July bill stated to be a physical reading.

None of my recent bills have had a running total showing how much I was in credit.

I received the statement and was over £500 in credit. I immediately asked for a refund. By then they were about to receive the October SO and there’d have been another one in mid November, when the next bill would be received.

MG were unwilling to refund. I got upset. They then sent a meter reader round the day before my October SO was going out. Based on that reading they sent to me a bill and took money standing to my credit immediately. They then, without any explanation or contact, refunded about half of what they held.

Of course the next day I was back substantially in credit, my October SO had gone through; and, based on the usual billing cycle, my 24 October reading wouldn’t normally have resulted in a bill for 10 days followed by 7 days credit and another 14 days before red letter. So if I was paying by cheque, in arrears, I’d have been due to pay end November. Again, by then the November SO would have gone through.

So, to avoid paying me back my credit, they’ve changed my billing date by 4 weeks, and taken payment a month early.

Result, I stopped the SO. That’s when I got the letter suggesting they would cut me off.

Im going to restart the SO ( at a reduced sum ) in December. But now I’ll not let any credit balance exist. 

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well, Manx Gas have threatened me with disconnection! I may be about to sue, and I’m certainly investigating, seriously, alternatives.

For years I’ve had a monthly SO. I’ve adjusted it up if it wasn’t covering bills. The last couple of years with prices going up, and down, I left it at the highest level.

This year started with me away for 2 months, Paul away for 4, between January and April. Months of biggest bills. I’ve also not been sent bills, had three consecutive estimated bills. So, late September when I had a bill that was so obviously wrong, I asked for a running account showing all consumption, bills and receipts since January 2021. My September bill showed consumption billed at £6 and 4 SO receipts in 2 months and was supposed to be an actual reading. As was my July bill stated to be a physical reading.

None of my recent bills have had a running total showing how much I was in credit.

I received the statement and was over £500 in credit. I immediately asked for a refund. By then they were about to receive the October SO and there’d have been another one in mid November, when the next bill would be received.

MG were unwilling to refund. I got upset. They then sent a meter reader round the day before my October SO was going out. Based on that reading they sent to me a bill and took money standing to my credit immediately. They then, without any explanation or contact, refunded about half of what they held.

Of course the next day I was back substantially in credit, my October SO had gone through; and, based on the usual billing cycle, my 24 October reading wouldn’t normally have resulted in a bill for 10 days followed by 7 days credit and another 14 days before red letter. So if I was paying by cheque, in arrears, I’d have been due to pay end November. Again, by then the November SO would have gone through.

So, to avoid paying me back my credit, they’ve changed my billing date by 4 weeks, and taken payment a month early.

Result, I stopped the SO. That’s when I got the letter suggesting they would cut me off.

Im going to restart the SO ( at a reduced sum ) in December. But now I’ll not let any credit balance exist. 

Well, OFT seem to be toothless so perhaps a cantankerous advocate, with his own teeth, might be just the job to get this diabolical mess subject to some proper scrutiny - with consequences for MG.  

Are you fired up enough to consider a class action (if such a thing exists here)?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Well, OFT seem to be toothless so perhaps a cantankerous advocate, with his own teeth, might be just the job to get this diabolical mess subject to some proper scrutiny - with consequences for MG.  

Are you fired up enough to consider a class action (if such a thing exists here)?

I’d rather a quiet life. The girl,I was exchanging e-mails with didn’t understand that the basis a regular SO should work was that by the time I got the next bill I should have paid off the last, with leeway for higher bills in winter and lower in summer, but averaging out over the years. She insisted I should be in credit at all times. I tried to explain MG didn’t have a banking licence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Trust them with neither DD nor SO. Pay over any PO counter on receipt of accurate reading/bill only. A bit of a pain but at least you're in control.

MG are unfit to be in business and our own Govt are implicit in permitting them to continue by washing their hands of the business.

• Like 5