IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Wannaburgh that great man of the people has been on the NPM (MR) saying he is disappointed with Island Energy who will not pause their disconnection program. ‘Disappointed’ not as much as the both the voters of Douglas North and others who believed his bullshit at the General Election. If he was as strong as he makes out, he would have picked a campaign with Island Energy, and maybe drew as much attention to this as much as other MHKs have with their pet hobby subjects, some even get the chance of getting it legislated into law. Personally I think John Wannanburgh is a great talker but little doing. Eventually he will end up in Legco, achieved nothing but has a nice cushy job without having to exert himself, with great benefits. 

Well what do you want him to do when he has no powers to do anything?

The people being disconnected apparently owe lots of money, probably got latest phone, sky etc , why do you expect them to be provided with free services?

• Like 1

He has the powers to make a noise about it and be seen to be standing up for his constituents, like any MHK.   If folks are unhappy then  write to him and remind him that he's here to serve not to rule. 

Edited by Blackajah
grammatical

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well what do you want him to do when he has no powers to do anything?

The people being disconnected apparently owe lots of money, probably got latest phone, sky etc , why do you expect them to be provided with free services?

Instead of disconnecting, install prepayment meters, and the ability to claw back any debt. No money on the meter, no gas ………. simples. As long as this procedure is done properly (and legally regulated) and not done by cowboys, and access provided by tenant/homeowner, there shouldn’t be a problem. 

Previous administrations tried to address welfare reform and benefits, but this area hasn’t fully been embraced ……….. much opposition. Especially when the topic of welfare food vouchers is brought up. The UK is again talking of stopping benefits and healthcare to those who refuse to look for employment. This area of concern has arisen due to labour shortages. Maybe IOMG will adopt this, after all, the island has immense labour shortages?  Perhaps they will have money for Sky and the latest phones etc. 

Edited by 2112

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Instead of disconnecting, install prepayment meters, and the ability to claw back any debt. No money on the meter, no gas ………. simples. As long as this procedure is done properly (and legally regulated) and not done by cowboys, and access provided by tenant/homeowner, there shouldn’t be a problem. 

Previous administrations tried to address welfare reform and benefits, but this area hasn’t fully been embraced ……….. much opposition. Especially when the topic of welfare food vouchers is brought up. The UK is again talking of stopping benefits and healthcare to those who refuse to look for employment. This area of concern has arisen due to labour shortages. Maybe IOMG will adopt this, after all, the island has immense labour shortages?  Perhaps they will have money for Sky and the latest phones etc. 

not sure if they have prepayment meters for gas but agree they should have, I’m sure there are some genuine cases but regrettably in my experience most of those impacted will have spent the benefits money on drink, fags etc whilst leaving bills unpaid including rent etc .

So in the experience of someone who clearly has absolutely no experience in the area they’ve all spent their benefit money on fags and scratch cards 😂

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

So in the experience of someone who clearly has absolutely no experience in the area they’ve all spent their benefit money on fags and scratch cards 😂

I’ve certainly got a lot of experience in the area via charitable work which you obviously wouldn’t do as you’re just an ignorant twat whose making another comeback after previous bans under different names!

• Haha 2

You have obviously had some very bad experiences Banker, what about the people who have not had a bill for months on end and people who have had inaccurate bills and people who have cancelled their DDs because Manx Gas have been taking wrong amounts, way over what was owed and now have no idea where they are up to.  Can they go down to Manx Gas and discuss it ? No the counter has been closed, the counter where there was always queues but apparently not wanted by customers according to Manx Gas.   Can they have a conversation by phone Yes if they have a few hours to spare and unlimited credit on their phone.  This Company is unfit for purpose.   The MEA seem to manage  why can’t they.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

You have obviously had some very bad experiences Banker, what about the people who have not had a bill for months on end and people who have had inaccurate bills and people who have cancelled their DDs because Manx Gas have been taking wrong amounts, way over what was owed and now have no idea where they are up to.  Can they go down to Manx Gas and discuss it ? No the counter has been closed, the counter where there was always queues but apparently not wanted by customers according to Manx Gas.   Can they have a conversation by phone Yes if they have a few hours to spare and unlimited credit on their phone.  This Company is unfit for purpose.   The MEA seem to manage  why can’t they.

Totally agree which is why MG need to ensure those being cut off are those owing 000s and have had bills etc , ignoring letters etc. if they are correct then if there are genuine hardship cases, made efforts etc then they need helping but the others who think they are owed a living need to be cut off

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 2112 said:

You would have thought that the OFT would be aware of the ‘disconnection’ procedure, unless that is, it’s fluid, and Island Energy aren’t consistent in its application?

I’m going to go with the latter. 

In the UK you need a court order to disconnect a supply. Mad that we don’t have the same restrictions here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I’ve certainly got a lot of experience in the area via charitable work 

I’ll have “things that never happened” for 500 please.

Most people with large debts haven’t spent all their money on [insert luxury item here]. They’ve run up debts because, quite simply, their income doesn’t cover their outgoings. Manx Gas prices have gone up- what- 200% in a year or so, and they were eye-wateringly (and obscenely) expensive even before the Ukraine conflict. Standing charges set by IEG are huge, so even if you don’t use any gas you’re still owing them a fortune.

Add in the fact that IEG are fucking useless.

I owe well over £1000 because the direct debit that IEG sets and controls doesn’t cover my usage. Now I have the money to one side in a savings account- earning me interest- so I’m not worried.

I can’t change the DD amount on the IEG website. Last time I made a manual payment they lost it. And as they don’t answer their phone and don’t have a public counter I’ll wait for them to ring me.

But not everyone has that money, and not everyone has the foresight to check if their DD is covering their usage. So if IEG aren’t accepting repayment plans, or are refusing to honour previous plans, then there are going to be issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

not sure if they have prepayment meters for gas but agree they should have, I’m sure there are some genuine cases but regrettably in my experience most of those impacted will have spent the benefits money on drink, fags etc whilst leaving bills unpaid including rent etc .

I would be surprised if Island Energy haven’t got a supply of prepaid meters, but if they did, I think Island Energy are taking a lazy option, as installing them requires use of resources. Most social housing in the UK have both prepayment meters for Gas and Electricity, and many are installing water meters. I would imagine that Island Energy don’t want to fit prepayment meters, for financial and logistical reasons. 

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’ll have “things that never happened” for 500 please.

Most people with large debts haven’t spent all their money on [insert luxury item here]. They’ve run up debts because, quite simply, their income doesn’t cover their outgoings. Manx Gas prices have gone up- what- 200% in a year or so, and they were eye-wateringly (and obscenely) expensive even before the Ukraine conflict. Standing charges set by IEG are huge, so even if you don’t use any gas you’re still owing them a fortune.

Add in the fact that IEG are fucking useless.

I owe well over £1000 because the direct debit that IEG sets and controls doesn’t cover my usage. Now I have the money to one side in a savings account- earning me interest- so I’m not worried.

I can’t change the DD amount on the IEG website. Last time I made a manual payment they lost it. And as they don’t answer their phone and don’t have a public counter I’ll wait for them to ring me.

But not everyone has that money, and not everyone has the foresight to check if their DD is covering their usage. So if IEG aren’t accepting repayment plans, or are refusing to honour previous plans, then there are going to be issues.

I would imagine that every debtor’s circumstances are different, and you need an open and empathetic mind to sorting out the debt. There may be an element of truth which @Bankerlikes to say, but, everyone with debts or in financial difficulties is different. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’m going to go with the latter. 

In the UK you need a court order to disconnect a supply. Mad that we don’t have the same restrictions here.

The IOM is booming don’t you know. Money grows on trees behind Government Offices. 

We don’t have the same/similar restrictions, as unfortunately no one is prepared to accept there is a problem.