IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

Now there is a Go funding page for people to contribute to for to help people whose gas was cut off before this new arrangement was brought into being.   How embarrassing as a Nation is this, food banks, homelessness etc.   Even in the 50s and 60s there was not so much apparent poverty, yes , luxuries were out of most peoples reach but now it is basic commodities that are so expensive that people are really struggling and this Goverment seem to be ignoring the fact.    Now the toilet tax is going up nearly 6%.  this is announced quite blithely, no doubt all the rates will be having an impressive hike next year.    Where will it end ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Now there is a Go funding page for people to contribute to for to help people whose gas was cut off before this new arrangement was brought into being.   How embarrassing as a Nation is this, food banks, homelessness etc.   Even in the 50s and 60s there was not so much apparent poverty, yes , luxuries were out of most peoples reach but now it is basic commodities that are so expensive that people are really struggling and this Goverment seem to be ignoring the fact.    Now the toilet tax is going up nearly 6%.  this is announced quite blithely, no doubt all the rates will be having an impressive hike next year.    Where will it end ?

It won’t end. Our politicos don’t want to know, or do anything. They did nothing when Island Energy closed customer reception access, and telephone customer service standards declined ………….. to the point that Island Energy either have a call centre in Scotland or have outsourced this function. Maybe politicos have a secure helpline where their queries are answered without having to wait in a queue? 

• Like 2

With a turnover that Island energy have it’s criminal they haven’t a direct person to person option on the Island. But with the useless operation they run it’s easy to see why they don’t. Worst operation that’s ever been on the Island. And that’s saying something. And our Government seemingly once again are doing nothing. Am sure there will be comments now , ohh it’s all going on in the background ! Yeah right.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

With a turnover that Island energy have it’s criminal they haven’t a direct person to person option on the Island. But with the useless operation they run it’s easy to see why they don’t. Worst operation that’s ever been on the Island. And that’s saying something. And our Government seemingly once again are doing nothing. Am sure there will be comments now , ohh it’s all going on in the background ! Yeah right.  

What can they do? 

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Problem is you aren’t comparing like with like.

Ive every sympathy with those struggling to deal with Manx Gas. They are impossible. Even when you are in credit their response is irrational.

It’s really not acceptable that they, and IoMOFT, didn’t have an arrears and disconnection policy in place. Perhaps it needs to be authorised by a court application.

Comparing with the 50’s and 60’s means you are looking at a time when only big houses had central heating. At best for most it was a coal fire, gas fire or electric fire. 

We huddled around the fire, wore multiple layers and only showered or had a tepid bath once a week. I certainly remember the WC and bathroom being cold, Coke fire with back boiler in the kitchen, into which we decamped to keep warm in winter. The dining room and front room were far too cold, fires only got lit on Christmas Day. Then there was ice on the windows from overnight condensation.

Gas central heating was not a basic commodity. But we’ve got used to it. And it’s harder to ration and limit.

Anyway, now I’m in arrears with my gas bill, having been £500 in credit,  which MG refused to return, causing me to cancel,  I’ve set up the DD again, reduced the amount.  I’ll never go into credit again. I’ve set it so over 12 months it’ll cover bills received over the last 12 months, calculated at the current unit cost.

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Problem is you aren’t comparing like with like.

Ive every sympathy with those struggling to deal with Manx Gas. They are impossible. Even when you are in credit their response is irrational.

It’s really not acceptable that they, and IoMOFT, didn’t have an arrears and disconnection policy in place. Perhaps it needs to be authorised by a court application.

Comparing with the 50’s and 60’s means you are looking at a time when only big houses had central heating. At best for most it was a coal fire, gas fire or electric fire. 

We huddled around the fire, wore multiple layers and only showered or had a tepid bath once a week. I certainly remember the WC and bathroom being cold, Coke fire with back boiler in the kitchen, into which we decamped to keep warm in winter. The dining room and front room were far too cold, fires only got lit on Christmas Day. Then there was ice on the windows from overnight condensation.

Gas central heating was not a basic commodity. But we’ve got used to it. And it’s harder to ration and limit.

Anyway, now I’m in arrears with my gas bill, having been £500 in credit,  which MG refused to return, causing me to cancel,  I’ve set up the DD again, reduced the amount.  I’ll never go into credit again. I’ve set it so over 12 months it’ll cover bills received over the last 12 months, calculated at the current unit cost.

Having recently tried to bill me a second time for invoices that I'd already long previously paid (as previously posted), they've now sent me a statement advising that I'm £90+ in credit.

Their administration is beyond the pale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Of course people could contribute to the long established Coal Fund instead of risking money via a Go Funding page, at least there are set thresholds. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/first-round-of-douglas-coal-fund-vouchers-distributed-this-tuesday/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Of course people could contribute to the long established Coal Fund instead of risking money via a Go Funding page, at least there are set thresholds. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/first-round-of-douglas-coal-fund-vouchers-distributed-this-tuesday/

The coal fund is only for residents of Douglas and thereabouts.  Nice idea though. 

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I understand why you say that. For one change the powers so OFT actually have some clout. Have a minimum level of service that a supplier must adhere too. I could go on but you get the drift. 

I absolutely agree, there should be minimum service standards set, including customer service not just supply service.  But it seems they don't exist so not sure what can be fine. 

They could hold off or reduce the rise in the Toilet tax which is getting voted on this month, Commissioners and Councillors could have a hard look at how they spend their constituents money and cut out on the frills.    A lot of our rates go on waste disposal which is run by the Government a hard look at that would not be amiss. There is so much waste in Government both National and Local it is criminal but of course they are spending other people’s money not their own.   The law in the adjacent Isle prohibits gas and electric companies from disconnecting homes where the vulnerable live such as elderly, children under 18 and the sick in the winter months I think it is October to end of March.   These steps could all be taken instead of doing sod all.     It is false economy when people get cold and not fed properly they get sick and that costs more than if they had just been given help when it is needed instead of spending money on wind farms they should be keeping the cost of electric down that helps everyone from domestic to businesses.

• Thanks 2