IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Weren't most gas (if you had mains gas) and electricity supplies on shilling meters back in the 50s and 60s.

Suspect it was a class thing. Weekly paid in cash = meter, salaried monthly into bank =  quarterly account.

• Like 1

IOMG on its Facebook page is having its winter is coming campaign (I’m surprised it’s not sponsored by Island Energy, the Islands caring energy supplier), advising residents to bundle up, invest in lots of insulated clothing (#getisleofmanwinterready)………….. they really are taking the piss somewhat. There is an accompanying picture from 1970, of Peel kids wrapped up from the cold meeting Father Christmas. It’s sad that they actually want people to wrap up, and perhaps live back in time. Still in 1970, I’m sure many homes without having adequate central heating as compared to today’s standards, at least they could light a coal fire. Daffys mob don’t like open coal fires or log burners, so it’s wrapping up in layers and duvet. 

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

IOMG on its Facebook page is having its winter is coming campaign (I’m surprised it’s not sponsored by Island Energy, the Islands caring energy supplier), advising residents to bundle up, invest in lots of insulated clothing (#getisleofmanwinterready)………….. they really are taking the piss somewhat. There is an accompanying picture from 1970, of Peel kids wrapped up from the cold meeting Father Christmas. It’s sad that they actually want people to wrap up, and perhaps live back in time. Still in 1970, I’m sure many homes without having adequate central heating as compared to today’s standards, at least they could light a coal fire. Daffys mob don’t like open coal fires or log burners, so it’s wrapping up in layers and duvet. 

So not content with criticism of RC for trying to help hospitality you’re now critical of IOMG for giving advice to help in cold weather FFS!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

So not content with criticism of RC for trying to help hospitality you’re now critical of IOMG for giving advice to help in cold weather FFS!

I’ve just seen the winter is coming posts on Facebook. Surely with that kind of message the campaign is aimed at primary school kids and not fully developed adults?

• Like 1

They should be helping in more substantial ways than telling us to wrap up well something anyone with an ounce of sense does anyway.    When the hospital is overcrowded with hypothermia  and pneumonia cases and people are driven out of business with job losses aplenty.

Perhaps  they will realise they should have pegged the cost of electricity instead of planning how to splash 90 million on a wind farm because that will be what it ends up at, on a great dream but a pipe dream at this moment in time.  What excuse have they got for increasing the standard charges ? 

• Thanks 1

I've had my share of over billing, not crediting the o/s credit to a current bill. 600 quid in my previous bill but corrected in the latest, 30 quid due !!!

If there was something 'untoward' going on at M Gas, surely an employee would have 'whistleblown' on the situation????

Is it just a computer glitch?

Is it all working out as required in the long run???

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

They should be helping in more substantial ways than telling us to wrap up well something anyone with an ounce of sense does anyway.    When the hospital is overcrowded with hypothermia  and pneumonia cases and people are driven out of business with job losses aplenty.

Perhaps  they will realise they should have pegged the cost of electricity instead of planning how to splash 90 million on a wind farm because that will be what it ends up at, on a great dream but a pipe dream at this moment in time.  What excuse have they got for increasing the standard charges ? 

Future planning is essential.

8 hours ago, Twitch said:

I’ve just seen the winter is coming posts on Facebook. Surely with that kind of message the campaign is aimed at primary school kids and not fully developed adults?

Some people are just f**king stupid. For your health you're much better dressing properly than living in an over-warm house. I wear arthritis gloves due to very, very low Raynauld on my hands. No need for a baking hot office. 

Heating in the 60's? No fireplace in my bedroom, ice on the north-facing windows, maybe one fire running in the house before heading off to primary school in Ramsey. I do not remember KWC being over warm in winter. We turned out normal (*).

* YMMV.

• Like 1

IOMG army of highly paid civil servants spend hours each day, dreaming of condescending Facebook advertising campaigns, along with the endless grandstanding pats on the back, which should be left to the newspaper to promote. In the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s etc when many homes didn’t have adequate heating but yet islanders survived, were there IOMG advertising campaigns, even in the local newspapers? 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

IOMG army of highly paid civil servants spend hours each day, dreaming of condescending Facebook advertising campaigns, along with the endless grandstanding pats on the back, which should be left to the newspaper to promote. In the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s etc when many homes didn’t have adequate heating but yet islanders survived, were there IOMG advertising campaigns, even in the local newspapers? 

I think you & Cueey spend hour’s each day reading government articles, Manx radio reports etc & if IOMG are mentioned in any way you’re writing a critical post on here.

10 hours ago, Twitch said:

not long before we get told how to cook a turkey again, who talks that shit now ivan bratty is retired ??

• Haha 2

There’s a crowd funding page to raise cash for one family being cut off because they owe£2k+ . However the money is not to pay off the bills it’s to put new electric heating in !! Apparently they’re upto date with electric presumably as it’s on prepaid basis!!