IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

1 minute ago, Banker said:

There’s a crowd funding page to raise cash for one family being cut off because they owe£2k+ . However the money is not to pay off the bills it’s to put new electric heating in !! Apparently they’re upto date with electric presumably as it’s on prepaid basis!!

Do you know the families circumstances? It could be another Island Energy due to non-reading of the meter. We don’t know that families personal financial circumstances. They may have made an offer for repayment and it was deemed unacceptable by Island Energy who want their pound of flesh. Maybe if there was a prepayment meter installed for the gas, with a realistic and sensible repayment plan, then maybe everyone will be happier. 

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s a crowd funding page to raise cash for one family being cut off because they owe£2k+ . However the money is not to pay off the bills it’s to put new electric heating in !! Apparently they’re upto date with electric presumably as it’s on prepaid basis!!

Is it for a single family or families?

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Do you know the families circumstances? It could be another Island Energy due to non-reading of the meter. We don’t know that families personal financial circumstances. They may have made an offer for repayment and it was deemed unacceptable by Island Energy who want their pound of flesh. Maybe if there was a prepayment meter installed for the gas, with a realistic and sensible repayment plan, then maybe everyone will be happier. 

I don’t know their circumstances, but I know several people who are struggling to meet their liabilities including with iome.

From what I hear they are fairly reasonable as long as you keep in touch and make an effort to chip away at the outstanding without running up massive further bills.

Its an assumption but I have to assume this family aren’t going those things.

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

It quoted one family of 5 who have difficult circumstances but obviously the bill has run up over a few years of nonpayment 

If it is the one I saw, it was raising funds to help a number of families and also appealing for wall mounted electric heaters, perhaps donated by local corporates.   The situation of one family prompted the appeal.  Can't find the post to link, but I didn't think it was for a single family. 

It’s Tynpotwald today and as such it’s Professor Dr David Ashford MBE opportunity to show his constituents how much he cares. He has tabled questions to the Chair of the OFT regarding the Island Energy policy of disconnection for debt on their account. Good luck on that as the OFT won’t be able to solve the issue, like Professor Dr David Ashford MNE MHK as a former COMIN member did nothing whilst he had an opportunity. Unless IOMG as a whole do something then it’s an endless cycle of both disconnection, questions, fundraising etc, but nothing progresses further. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It’s Tynpotwald today and as such it’s Professor Dr David Ashford MBE opportunity to show his constituents how much he cares. He has tabled questions to the Chair of the OFT regarding the Island Energy policy of disconnection for debt on their account. Good luck on that as the OFT won’t be able to solve the issue, like Professor Dr David Ashford MNE MHK as a former COMIN member did nothing whilst he had an opportunity. Unless IOMG as a whole do something then it’s an endless cycle of both disconnection, questions, fundraising etc, but nothing progresses further. 

Still unsure why people expect gas to be supplied to those who don’t pay bills and won’t put repayment plans in place, ashford says they can’t afford to. Assuming he expects either government ie taxpayers or Iom energy to pick up the costs 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still unsure why people expect gas to be supplied to those who don’t pay bills and won’t put repayment plans in place, ashford says they can’t afford to. Assuming he expects either government ie taxpayers or Iom energy to pick up the costs 

I don’t expect IOMG to pick up the costs, but what should be done is those households affected to be offered prepayment meters with a sensible and realistic repayment plan put into place. The debt is repaid, except at a slower rate. I expect both IOMG, the OFT and our politicos to actually address the issue of Island Energy and its behaviour, rather than shrugging its shoulders and handwringing, hoping that any problems vanish into the ether. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I don’t expect IOMG to pick up the costs, but what should be done is those households affected to be offered prepayment meters with a sensible and realistic repayment plan put into place. The debt is repaid, except at a slower rate. I expect both IOMG, the OFT and our politicos to actually address the issue of Island Energy and its behaviour, rather than shrugging its shoulders and handwringing, hoping that any problems vanish into the ether. 

If you listened or read reports you would know that everyone cut off or threatened to be has been asked for repayment plans but haven’t offered any, Ashford also said they can’t afford repayments plans so what does he and you expect?

Prepayment meters are required for future but seems they’re not available. If you don’t pay your oil or electricity bills they don’t supply you

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Some bloke posted his gas bill on facebook the other day and he had used 250 units of gas in the 2 months between September 1st and November 1st coming to I think over £500, my first thought was he must have the gas on all the time. In that same period I used 8 units costing just over £23.

That'll be the Aga.... 🤭

2 hours ago, Banker said:

If you listened or read reports you would know that everyone cut off or threatened to be has been asked for repayment plans but haven’t offered any, Ashford also said they can’t afford repayments plans so what does he and you expect?

Prepayment meters are required for future but seems they’re not available. If you don’t pay your oil or electricity bills they don’t supply you

How many consumers haven't been able to put a repayment plan together? Are there numbers available?

Surely for the sake of good relations with all of their consumers and for their own financial benefit it would be in IOME's best interest to offer prepayment meters??  Prepayment meters for electric are available: https://www.manxutilities.im/smarter-living/about-smarterpayg/ 

One way that Tynwald could probably help is by pushing through legislation to make it compulsory for the gas operator to offer prepaid meters.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How many consumers haven't been able to put a repayment plan together? Are there numbers available?

Surely for the sake of good relations with all of their consumers and for their own financial benefit it would be in IOME's best interest to offer prepayment meters??  Prepayment meters for electric are available: https://www.manxutilities.im/smarter-living/about-smarterpayg/ 

One way that Tynwald could probably help is by pushing through legislation to make it compulsory for the gas operator to offer prepaid meters.

They are too interested in bashing the bishop, playing to the gallery and jumping on bandwagons than introducing legislation, on something which would help consumers. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1