IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

14 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

If you can’t afford to pay for gas you use at the new prices, almost 100% more than it used to be you will not be able to pay off what you owe. 

True up to a point but gas has come back and my bill in October 2023 was charged at 13.32p per kWhs   the bill in October 2022 was charged at. 21.15p per kWhs      so actually considerably reduced in the past 12 months. 

Now if you want to look at electricity prices that is a very different story. Where the price has gone up from 22p a unit to 30 p and another rise soon. 

12 hours ago, emesde said:

True up to a point but gas has come back and my bill in October 2023 was charged at 13.32p per kWhs   the bill in October 2022 was charged at. 21.15p per kWhs      so actually considerably reduced in the past 12 months. 

Now if you want to look at electricity prices that is a very different story. Where the price has gone up from 22p a unit to 30 p and another rise soon. 

It's the high cost from 12 months ago that some folk are having issues with paying, not the current costs.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/plans-to-outlaw-gas-disconnections-in-certain-circumstances/

That's all very well Ms Lord-Brennan but the people you are trying to protect should have a way of paying for consumption. Legislate for PAYG meters, please. That will then reduce future customers from falling into debt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/plans-to-outlaw-gas-disconnections-in-certain-circumstances/

That's all very well Ms Lord-Brennan but the people you are trying to protect should have a way of paying for consumption. Legislate for PAYG meters, please. That will then reduce future customers from falling into debt.

It’s welcome that finally some action being taken, however, you sum it succinctly. If Island Energy were taking a debtor to court for unpaid bills, it’s no good relying on the letters/bills sent, then saying debtor hasn’t made contact. You should establish facts, like visiting the property and making physical contact with the customer, before court. 

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

How does this work.? 

The answer could be found by addressing the question to a Mr. M. Profitt and a Mr. A. Bell.

Good luck with getting an answer though as neither have been obliged to indicate any responsibility to date.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, emesde said:

The main power station at Pulrose  is I believe run on Gas. Gas prices in the last year have reduced by around 40% yet electricity prices with the imminent price increase will be increased by around  50%.

How does this work.? 

There's a great big hole in the CS/PS pension fund that needs filling.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

There's a great big hole in the CS/PS pension fund that needs filling.

One wonders how long they expect to keep filling it by putting the leccy up and up?

We were missing @ £40M pa until recently with the total liability being over £5Bn, two years ago.

We must be due an FOI response sometime to find out what the current standing is, one would doubt that it's reduced, somehow. 

So let's see if I have got this right. 

The government  are happy for lots of complaints about manx gas because it enables them to put pressure on the supplier to reduce prices. They are then able to buy cheaper gas to produce cheaper electricity.which they then sell on at an increased price to the public in order to make a greater profit so that they have more income and can claim to be very efficient in their business dealings. They then announce how prudent they are and how public spending is under control and all that is needed to enable growth is a few hundred more civil servants and the future is ours....   OK got it. 

Wrong, the government sell the gas to the gas company who then charge there costs plus say 10-15% for profit. The price of the gas at the power station is what ever it costs the government(supplier) who add on 30-45% ? so as to try and keep raids on reserves down to about £40,000,000 to service pensions and the illegal loans taken out in the early noughties to build said power station

19 hours ago, emesde said:

The main power station at Pulrose  is I believe run on Gas. Gas prices in the last year have reduced by around 40% yet electricity prices with the imminent price increase will be increased by around  50%.

How does this work.? 

Depends how much gas was bought forward and at what prices, if gas isn’t being bought forward to give assurance on prices you would have gas prices going up&down constantly at spot prices. At one point last year  gas was 350p per therm if your gas bill went up based on that you wouldn’t be happy.

13 hours ago, emesde said:

So let's see if I have got this right. 

The government  are happy for lots of complaints about manx gas because it enables them to put pressure on the supplier to reduce prices. They are then able to buy cheaper gas to produce cheaper electricity.which they then sell on at an increased price to the public in order to make a greater profit so that they have more income and can claim to be very efficient in their business dealings. They then announce how prudent they are and how public spending is under control and all that is needed to enable growth is a few hundred more civil servants and the future is ours....   OK got it. 

I agree there. I was talking to a family member in the UK the other day. Their electricity is pennies compared to ours. The MUA really screwed up artificially messing with the unit price last year which has not only lost them £25M but now passed a huge burden on to the consumer by way of higher prices this year. The same family member has a power provider who charges you the spot price on the day you use it and then an App that basically shows you the wholesale price you’re buying at in real time. It’s straight through pricing. 

But as per usual in the IOM some civil servant decides to fanny around with something they shouldn’t have fannied around with and the consumer is now paying big style. My DD has gone up by £50 a month when my usage is down and the actual price of electricity everywhere else in the UK is down. 

36 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

I agree there. I was talking to a family member in the UK the other day. Their electricity is pennies compared to ours. The MUA really screwed up artificially messing with the unit price last year which has not only lost them £25M but now passed a huge burden on to the consumer by way of higher prices this year. The same family member has a power provider who charges you the spot price on the day you use it and then an App that basically shows you the wholesale price you’re buying at in real time. It’s straight through pricing. 

But as per usual in the IOM some civil servant decides to fanny around with something they shouldn’t have fannied around with and the consumer is now paying big style. My DD has gone up by £50 a month when my usage is down and the actual price of electricity everywhere else in the UK is down. 

Whoever in your family told you that is talking bollocks unless you made it up, uk prices are 28.62p with a s5anding daily charge of 53.6p. Ours are 30p with standing daily charge of 23.3p ie less than half uk charge.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-price-cap

Edited by Banker

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Whoever in your family told you that is talking bollocks

Yes I’ll tell my cousin he’s wrong then because some raging internet tit said so. All those figures relate to a “typical household” so are meaningless. As I said it’s some sort of direct wholesale deal though a UK energy switch provider. 

Edited by Mouthpiece
Fat fingers