IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

56 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

Yes I’ll tell my cousin he’s wrong then because some raging internet tit said so. All those figures relate to a “typical household” so are meaningless. As I said it’s some sort of direct wholesale deal though a UK energy switch provider. 

Just read the ofgen article advising what prices are for vast majority of people in UK , if you’re cousin is on some special deal as a high user then it’s not available to general public 

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just read the ofgen article advising what prices are for vast majority of people in UK , if you’re cousin is on some special deal as a high user then it’s not available to general public 

I made a statement about what was told to me by my cousin and contrasted it with my bill. I have no reason to suspect someone I know very well is lying. He’s not a high user it’s some new energy switch provider which lets you buy at spot price on the day you consume the power so it’s like a direct market price model. Rather than here where there seems to be no correlation with the market at all as his bill keeps on going down currently and all ours does is continue to go up despite the wholesale prices falling. 

• Haha 1

A quick text to my obviously lying relative reveals that the service we talked about is called Agile Octopus and a lot of their use is off peak charging for EVs etc as you can shunt your energy use into off peak time to avoid peaks if your charging EVs or overnight storage heaters etc. 

The rate tracking is here:

https://agileprices.co.uk

Average rate for December so far is 19.7p for off peak and for today 17.3p an off peak unit. 

Some days/times you are buying power at 5-10p a unit.

It can be even cheaper depending on the region you live in as all areas have different peak and off peak spikes and pricing.

Edited by Mouthpiece
Regional pricing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Who's said that then?

Tory boy just can’t stand the fact that someone might get something for free funded by an extra 5p on his gas bill. He’ll be against school teachers getting all that free heat in the staff room too. At the end of the day if people genuinely can’t afford to heat their homes we shouldn’t just automatically see them cut off. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Tory boy just can’t stand the fact that someone might get something for free funded by an extra 5p on his gas bill. He’ll be against school teachers getting all that free heat in the staff room too. At the end of the day if people genuinely can’t afford to heat their homes we shouldn’t just automatically see them cut off. 

Still trolling dickhead!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

they should be given a few extra jumpers from the charity shops instead.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 9:57 AM, Mouthpiece said:

All those figures relate to a “typical household” so are meaningless

The “typical household” bit is the annual figure.

The bit at the bottom that relates to unit price relates to unit price. 1 unit = 1 kWh.

UK price cap from 1 January to 31 March: 28.62p/kWh plus standing charge of 53.53p/day.

IOM price up to 31 March: 30p/kWh plus standing charge of 23.3p/day.

IOM price from 1 April: 31.7p/kWh plus standing charge of 24.6p/day.

So whilst we pay 1.5p per unit more (or possibly 3p per unit more in April) our standing charge 30p per day cheaper that in the UK.

So at current prices if you use 20 units a day you’d be better off in England. But if you’re using 20 units a day then you ought to cut back. My usage is about 7 units a day, and I don’t scrimp on the tumble drier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, Banker said:

Wonder if IOMG will follow suit and allow higher bills to cover bad debts

The “bad debts” on the standing charge in the UK aren’t from the customers, they’re from all the spivvy suppliers that took the customers’ money, turned it into dividends, declared insolvency and ran for the hills.

The “bad debt” is where customers had a credit balance and the supplier buggered off with it.

The customers who are in actual debt still show on the books of the suppliers who supply them.

It’s worth noting that unrecoverable debt eats into the profit, and Manx Gas get to set their prices based on their profit margin. So we are already paying for people who can’t pay their bills.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

I see Island Energy have been on the airwaves this morning bemoaning the proposed legislation to prevent gas disconnections for debt on accounts. It’s rather comical that they spout ‘anti-competitive’ and ‘disappointing’. Island Energy have a total monopoly, on the IOM, it’s not as if householders can choose another gas supplier, eg Centrica. Island Energy are disappointing in its self with their actions, in closing down their reception and counter area, their not so brilliant customer telephone experience and other areas of their presence. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see Island Energy have been on the airwaves this morning bemoaning the proposed legislation to prevent gas disconnections for debt on accounts

They should count their lucky stars that the MUA didn’t take the same attitude when IEG owed them millions.

It’d have been better for the island if they had, but still…

• Like 1