IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

This is a private company.

Just as the MUA and the SP are effectively ! Should our Govt not try to exert some restraint on them???

Just as the above are, Manx Gas are a monopoly by the actions of the Govt, the Govt are obliged to make sure that the position that the Govt have allowed them to be in is justified ?

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

PAYG meters could lead to instant disconnection?

What about all the vulnerable people running their heating  on oil, that too is instant disconnection. But nobody seems to tell the oil company, you must refill their tanks, even if they haven't paid you for the last refill.  

To be honest I don't know what the oil supply companies do. I would expect that they have similar systems in place to continue to supply oil if there is a payment plan in place.

It would be foolish of them to cut someone off for them to change to a different heating system???

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

What about all the vulnerable people running their heating  on oil, that too is instant disconnection. But nobody seems to tell the oil company, you must refill their tanks, even if they haven't paid you for the last refill.  

Ah, but you can pop down to your local EVF and buy 20L in a plastic container to keep you going if you're skint and living hand to mouth, rather than having to buy 500L+ in one hit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Holte End said:

In my experience you won't get any oil if it's not paid for in advance, either by bank transfer or debit/credit card. I doubt there are many, if any, who have credit terms directly with the oil suppliers (of which there are two, as far as I know).

Sorry, can't link but Alf's desk-thumping rant during his speech against IEG is worth a listen, if only to make one wonder why he can't address other subjects with such passion and motivation.

Screenshot_20231220-074047_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Ah, but you can pop down to your local EVF and buy 20L in a plastic container to keep you going if you're skint and living hand to mouth, rather than having to buy 500L+ in one hit.

I would rather Kate Lord -Brennan pass a law stating that they must top up my heating oil. I am venerable because I am the stupid idiot that pays my bills. When did they allow you to transport diesel oil on a Bus, or are you expecting me to carry it 20 miles home from Douglas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

In my experience you won't get any oil if it's not paid for in advance, either by bank transfer or debit/credit card. I doubt there are many, if any, who have credit terms directly with the oil suppliers (of which there are two, as far as I know).

I have no formal credit arrangements with any of the oil suppliers. I fill up twice a year. When I need oil, I ring around for the best price. I place my order, and it is supplied without pre-pyment. I then pay, by phone, within a day or two.

How sensible it is for the oil companies to give someone they may only deal with every 18 months £800 unsecured credit, I don't know. 

But I know family members who are on monthly plans and that generally functions as a pre-payment plan, so the oil company carries much less risk.

49 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I have no formal credit arrangements with any of the oil suppliers. I fill up twice a year. When I need oil, I ring around for the best price. I place my order, and it is supplied without pre-pyment. I then pay, by phone, within a day or two.

How sensible it is for the oil companies to give someone they may only deal with every 18 months £800 unsecured credit, I don't know. 

But I know family members who are on monthly plans and that generally functions as a pre-payment plan, so the oil company carries much less risk.

A monthly plan with Manx Petroleums works fine with me to include an annual service of boiler. Better than having to find £750 for a fill as recently in one go especially before Christmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

I would rather Kate Lord -Brennan pass a law stating that they must top up my heating oil. I am venerable because I am the stupid idiot that pays my bills. When did they allow you to transport diesel oil on a Bus, or are you expecting me to carry it 20 miles home from Douglas. 

I know a man whose heating runs on his 20L EVF purchases, he reckons he can't afford bulk refills and has bricks under one end of his oil tank to make sure that it drains fully 😂

Laughing aside, I wonder how many others are in a similar situation?

I am with Manx Petroleum excellent service I get the tank topped up when it is about one third full they send me a bill which is payable within a month I ring up and pay over the phone or I have the option of paying online.   I put an amount away each month in a savings account to cover this and other bills that crop up. With the MEA I pay a fixed DD every month to them which covers the bill.   When I was a kid we had a shilling meter for leccy and the coalman was paid every week when he delivered the coal, no bills, life was so much simpler then.

23 hours ago, Holte End said:

Instead it will just be an added cost to the gas customers who do pay

And so what? It’s the same with anything. The price you pay in Tesco reflects that a certain number of people will depart without paying. The price you pay at EVF for fuel reflects that a certain number of people will not pay.

It’s also already the case. Disconnection doesn’t recover the outstanding debt, after all. So even if they’re cut off there’s still the bad debt. And luckily, Tynwald agreed to give Manx Gas a guaranteed profit margin, so there’s no incentive for Manx Gas to otherwise recover unpaid debt.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2