IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

I haven't had enough oil in my tank to run the CH since October 2022. Didn't let it run dry so I don't have problems when I finally manage to get a half tank.

I've gotten used to it TBH. I wear layers, heat the kettle for dishes or a quick wash and have a shower once or twice a week at family's house a short walk from mine (in exchange for sitting on babies). I heat one room with an oil-filled radiator on a low setting. 

I don't have the latest phone (current phone is seven years old), don't buy scratch cards or otherwise gamble, don't drink, don't go out to eat or get takeaways. 

In the past seven days my electricity costs have averaged £2.64 per day. A few weeks ago when the weather was quite frigid it was over four quid for several days. Ouch. 

It hasn't killed me and I don't expect it will any time soon. Its amazing what you can get used to when needs must. Oh... I'm happy enough as well.

~insert shrug emoji here~

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I haven't had enough oil in my tank to run the CH since October 2022. Didn't let it run dry so I don't have problems when I finally manage to get a half tank.

I've gotten used to it TBH. I wear layers, heat the kettle for dishes or a quick wash and have a shower once or twice a week at family's house a short walk from mine (in exchange for sitting on babies). I heat one room with an oil-filled radiator on a low setting. 

I don't have the latest phone (current phone is seven years old), don't buy scratch cards or otherwise gamble, don't drink, don't go out to eat or get takeaways. 

In the past seven days my electricity costs have averaged £2.64 per day. A few weeks ago when the weather was quite frigid it was over four quid for several days. Ouch. 

It hasn't killed me and I don't expect it will any time soon. Its amazing what you can get used to when needs must. Oh... I'm happy enough as well.

~insert shrug emoji here~

Almost mirrors my situation. Not had my heating on for a few years now and have one of the heated type blankets this time of year which keeps me really warm. My electric around £2.30 average . Layers is the answer and you so get used to it . I do have gas heating and water so have a bath once a week or so and shower a few times a week. Luxury lol . Agree with the happy as well comment . Actually having a glass of wine tonight for a treat coz I can ….. very rare as don’t drink at home normally .   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

And so what? It’s the same with anything. The price you pay in Tesco reflects that a certain number of people will depart without paying. The price you pay at EVF for fuel reflects that a certain number of people will not pay.

It’s also already the case. Disconnection doesn’t recover the outstanding debt, after all. So even if they’re cut off there’s still the bad debt. And luckily, Tynwald agreed to give Manx Gas a guaranteed profit margin, so there’s no incentive for Manx Gas to otherwise recover unpaid debt.

Disconnection does stop increasing the debt, I mean they don't keep filling the oil tanks, if the last bill hasn't been paid. even your papers get stopped if you don't paid the bill. So do you think the Government will bring in legislation to protect the venerable who shoplift.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Holte End said:

Disconnection does stop increasing the debt, I mean they don't keep filling the oil tanks, if the last bill hasn't been paid. even your papers get stopped if you don't paid the bill. So do you think the Government will bring in legislation to protect the venerable who shoplift.

I agree government should not be legislating in this area as it’s a commercial decision as to whether Manx Gas terminate a customer relationship because of bad debts. The MUA presumably does the exact same thing and Douglas Corpy has endless cases clogging up the Court system where people are to be evicted for not paying rent. If you never got cut off because of new laws what’s your incentive to actually repay any of your debt?

19 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

What was the outcome of that dreadful incident in Jersey when about a dozen people lost their lives ?   Surely there would have been an inquest by now.

Theres a gross negligence manslaughter criminal investigation ongoing. 3 arrests were made in August 2023. No charges yet.

Inquests are adjourned until the outcome of criminal proceedings.

Great news 

"New prices will now come into effect on 7 January

A 16% reduction to the Island's gas tariff has been delayed to allow Isle of Man Energy more time to test changes within its billing" 

Assuming that this is correct. The previous press reports were saying that the reduction was to be made at the end of January. 

It now says delayed till the 7th January. Doesn't make sense. 

33 minutes ago, emesde said:

Great news 

"New prices will now come into effect on 7 January

A 16% reduction to the Island's gas tariff has been delayed to allow Isle of Man Energy more time to test changes within its billing" 

Assuming that this is correct. The previous press reports were saying that the reduction was to be made at the end of January. 

It now says delayed till the 7th January. Doesn't make sense. 

It was originally to come into effect on 1/1/24, not 31/1/24.

It actually makes no difference long term, as gas profits are capped to a fixed return on capital.

And it’s important they sort out the computer so that billing is correct.

Theres huge uproar on FB and IoM Today about profiteering. Clearly not understanding how gas prices are set.

After my run in with MG/Island Energy I stopped my fixed sum DD for November and December. I’ve now restarted it for January onwards. But I’ve not had a bill since early November, when they did a physical reading at my request.