IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But I’ve not had a bill since early November, when they did a physical reading at my request.

Be careful that they don't forget it altogether and then present you with an invoice for the period a year later like they did with an acquaintance of mine. 

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Be careful that they don't forget it altogether and then present you with an invoice for the period a year later like they did with an acquaintance of mine. 

One of the reasons to pay a monthly fixed amount. I was £500 in credit. I asked for it back. They played silly buggers. 

Im now in debit, ie I owe them money, rather than the other way around. As I’m away a lot over winter, and on my own until April, winter consumption will be low, plus a tariff reduction. I’ve reduced what I’m paying.

• Like 5

On 12/30/2023 at 4:58 PM, John Wright said:

One of the reasons to pay a monthly fixed amount. I was £500 in credit. I asked for it back. They played silly buggers. 

Im now in debit, ie I owe them money, rather than the other way around. As I’m away a lot over winter, and on my own until April, winter consumption will be low, plus a tariff reduction. I’ve reduced what I’m paying.

I refuse to give them my money up front - I take a set monthly amount and put it into an interest bearing account and when the bill comes, I pay on the due date. If everyone did that, they would have less income/more expenses - as I'm sure they are getting interest, or saving on interest payable by moving money around their various accounts (RCF etc). 

That's our money that they are taking each month, and putting in their accounts. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spyk3r said:

I refuse to give them my money up front - I take a set monthly amount and put it into an interest bearing account and when the bill comes, I pay on the due date. If everyone did that, they would have less income/more expenses - as I'm sure they are getting interest, or saving on interest payable by moving money around their various accounts (RCF etc). 

That's our money that they are taking each month, and putting in their accounts. 

As I’m frequently off island it’s easier to do an SO or fixed monthly DD.

Ive always aimed to set the amount and timing so that I’m never in credit. If I ended up in credit I sought a refund or suspended payment for a couple of months.

The credit arose because I didn’t receive correct or meaningful bills for about 15 months, and I took my eye off the ball.

The 1% DD discount is worth having. 

Haven’t got time, or patience,  to transfer small sums from one account to another, and back.

The thing is that they were extremely difficult, inconsistent, and did everything to avoid refunding. I asked for a phone call with a manager, rather than the call centre in Scotland. On a Friday I was told to attend the counter ( not impossible but it’s a faff, parking, getting the wheelchair out, getting into the office, and then in reverse ) I did explain my preference and why, told I had to attend in person to speak to someone on island. The next week they closed the counter.

Just to come back to regulation of disconnection. Of course it’s the job of Government, direct or via CURA, to put in place disconnection procedures. My preferred option is only after a court order is applied for, full family circumstances are provided, and OFT and Treasury and Consumer and Manx Gas have failed to reach a repayment plan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As I’m frequently off island it’s easier to do an SO or fixed monthly DD.

Ive always aimed to set the amount and timing so that I’m never in credit. If I ended up in credit I sought a refund or suspended payment for a couple of months.

The credit arose because I didn’t receive correct or meaningful bills for about 15 months, and I took my eye off the ball.

The 1% DD discount is worth having. 

Haven’t got time, or patience,  to transfer small sums from one account to another, and back.

The thing is that they were extremely difficult, inconsistent, and did everything to avoid refunding. I asked for a phone call with a manager, rather than the call centre in Scotland. On a Friday I was told to attend the counter ( not impossible but it’s a faff, parking, getting the wheelchair out, getting into the office, and then in reverse ) I did explain my preference and why, told I had to attend in person to speak to someone on island. The next week they closed the counter.

Fair Enough. Very interesting that timing....

I mixed up MU and IOME - I have a DD with the Gas company - but it is for the actual amount within their payment terms. Once the DD goes, I refund my account with the amount that was taken out of savings (usually I have confirmed the readings are accurate once I have received my invoice) the previous explanation was for Manx Utilities Electricity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 6:34 PM, Zarley said:

I haven't had enough oil in my tank to run the CH since October 2022. Didn't let it run dry so I don't have problems when I finally manage to get a half tank.

I've gotten used to it TBH. I wear layers, heat the kettle for dishes or a quick wash and have a shower once or twice a week at family's house a short walk from mine (in exchange for sitting on babies). I heat one room with an oil-filled radiator on a low setting. 

I don't have the latest phone (current phone is seven years old), don't buy scratch cards or otherwise gamble, don't drink, don't go out to eat or get takeaways. 

In the past seven days my electricity costs have averaged £2.64 per day. A few weeks ago when the weather was quite frigid it was over four quid for several days. Ouch. 

It hasn't killed me and I don't expect it will any time soon. Its amazing what you can get used to when needs must. Oh... I'm happy enough as well.

~insert shrug emoji here~

I missed your post Zarley in December.  

I had a smart meter fitted in the summer, and l really felt l had little choice in the matter.  My bill has risen substantially. Has anyone else seen a significant rise in their electricity bills since installation of a smart meter.

It's about 39% rise. 

Edited by Lilly
Add last bit for information.

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

I had a smart meter fitted in the summer, and l really felt l had little choice in the matter.  My bill has risen substantially. Has anyone else seen a significant rise in their electricity bills since installation of a smart meter.

Didn't the unit price for electricity increase at around that time?

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

They're just another rouse by our esteemed government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I think the issue is, the unit price has increased, so unless your using significantly less units, it’s definitely going to increase 

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Didn't the unit price for electricity increase at around that time?

1 minute ago, finlo said:

They're just another rouse by our esteemed government.

Yes, but it's quite an increase.

Just now, Lilly said:

Yes, but it's quite an increase.

Spending 20 million on them (but they're not costing the consumer a penny if you believe that!) is definitely not for the benefit of the customers!

• Haha 1