IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

Just now, Manxman1234 said:

I think the issue is, the unit price has increased, so unless your using significantly less units, it’s definitely going to increase 

Thank you, l get that.  But it seems much higher than l anticipated.  

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I missed your post Zarley in December.  

I had a smart meter fitted in the summer, and l really felt l had little choice in the matter.  My bill has risen substantially. Has anyone else seen a significant rise in their electricity bills since installation of a smart meter.

It's about 39% rise. 

As others have said, the unit price has increased substantially over the last year.

It is also pointless if you are comparing to your last bill before the smart meter.

To make a meaningful comparison, you need to look at the number of units you have consumed in the same quarter, last year. Also, check the number of days in the charging period. This can fluctuate by around 7 days, plus or minus, which can make it look as of the cost has gone up or down, even though the unit price is the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

As others have said, the unit price has increased substantially over the last year.

It is also pointless if you are comparing to your last bill before the smart meter.

To make a meaningful comparison, you need to look at the number of units you have consumed in the same quarter, last year. Also, check the number of days in the charging period. This can fluctuate by around 7 days, plus or minus, which can make it look as of the cost has gone up or down, even though the unit price is the same.

That makes sense.  Thank you Nellie for a sensible reply.

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes, but it's quite an increase.

I got my bill just after Xmas and made a comparison with the same period for the previous year, much the same consumption (I'm a creature of habit and tight with it) but easily 1/3rd more expensive this time round.

The smart meter doesn't increase your consumption, it just allows you to monitor it yourself via the phone app. It can be useful but so is common sense about not leaving stuff switched on.

Market gas price is dropping but as the MUA buy gas forward we don't get the benefit of it yet via electricity bills. Though we certainly should in time, it should be passed on but we all know the state of the MUA's finances. I'd doubt that we'll get it quickly or in full.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I got my bill just after Xmas and made a comparison with the same period for the previous year, much the same consumption (I'm a creature of habit and tight with it) but easily 1/3rd more expensive this time round.

The smart meter doesn't increase your consumption, it just allows you to monitor it yourself via the phone app. It can be useful but so is common sense about not leaving stuff switched on.

Market gas price is dropping but as the MUA buy gas forward we don't get the benefit of it yet via electricity bills. Though we certainly should in time, it should be passed on but we all know the state of the MUA's finances. I'd doubt that we'll get it quickly or in full.

It's sounds very much like my bill approx 38% increase.  

32 minutes ago, finlo said:

They're just another rouse by our esteemed government.

How so?  Please elaborate?

If you could do so while avoiding conspiracy theory nonsense then that would be a real bonus.

I won’t hold my breathe

Edited by CrazyDave

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

How so?  Please elaborate?

If you could do so while avoiding conspiracy theory nonsense then that would be a real bonus.

I won’t hold my breathe

Didn't you know that they turn on all your appliances when you're out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Genuinely unsure if you are joking?

I clearly know they don’t, because that would obviously be impossible but I am unsure if you are one of the nutters who actually believe that?

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's the gremlins who come out once you leave the house. The same ones who hide your car keys for a while. They live off the odd socks in your laundry and that last biscuit you thought you'd left in the packet.They like daytime TV and cups of tea. I beleive they also run the Manx Gas billing system which explains a helluva lot.

• Haha 5

Just now, finlo said:

It wouldn't surprise me.  :D

My dog can turn on TV if the remote is accessible to him; he just stands on it. I kept arriving home to the TV blaring out; :D

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Yes, but it's quite an increase.

It went up quite a bit in 2023:

The standard domestic rate tariff will increase from 22 to 28 pence per unit on 1 April 2023 with a further rise on 1 July 2023 taking prices to 34 pence per unit.

22p to 34p is actually a rise of 55%, though if the standing charge didn't go up that will reduce the percentage a bit.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It went up quite a bit in 2023:

The standard domestic rate tariff will increase from 22 to 28 pence per unit on 1 April 2023 with a further rise on 1 July 2023 taking prices to 34 pence per unit.

22p to 34p is actually a rise of 55%, though if the standing charge didn't go up that will reduce the percentage a bit.

So 38% rise in my total bill is understandable with increases of 55% per unit.  Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Lilly said:

So 38% rise in my total bill is understandable with increases of 55% per unit.  Thank you.

It shows that you've probably been trying hard to cut usage as your bill has only gone up 38% compared to the actual increase, standing charge notwithstanding.

Daphne will be delighted.