IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

So there are 400 on payment plans? Out of how many thousands of customer accounts? It will hardly dent their income or their profitability.

The CURA pricing formula is based on a fixed return on capital employed. To arrive at the unit price and the fixed charge CURA looks at demand, price changes, market conditions, projected wholesale gas pricing, how much MG exceeded or undershot their allowable profit in the last period.

There are two types of payment plan by the look of it. Type one is a monthly sum that covers current consumption and arrears. Type two is arrears only as they’re cut off. The split isn’t given.

At least being on a payment plan ex customers are paying off their unpaid bills, so they shouldn’t be accounted for as bad debts. 

They may be on a repayment plan, they may be taking the piss, they my be in dire straights.

Heat, hot water and power are essentials in modern life.

• Like 1

A lot of this mess was self created by the Company by their accounting system whereby people were getting inaccurate bills so they are not blame free.   Has anything been reported regarding the Jersey tragedy the loss of life was horrendous and nothing seems to have happened it is quite a while now ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cambon said:

From what I have heard, there was no mains gas in the building. 

No supplied to the building now, but I think it had been supplied to the site in the past.  Of course you don't need there to be a direct supply anyway - think of that case in Port Erin where gas leaked into a cellar from a nearby pipe.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

No supplied to the building now, but I think it had been supplied to the site in the past.  Of course you don't need there to be a direct supply anyway - think of that case in Port Erin where gas leaked into a cellar from a nearby pipe.

It says that the property owner asked IEG to disconnect the mains gas, and there were gas engineers working in a trench before the explosion.

Screenshot_2024-05-11-17-22-20-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wannenburgh's intervention came at the end of discussions after a question about disconnections to Lord-Brennen, where people had been saying how helpful IOM Energy had been:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1404a.mp3

and he (as the previous OFT Chair) wanted to say it was very much not so before they were forced by law.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Does this have an influence on Manx Gas?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/26/ftse-100-markets-latest-mercedes-electric-car-pce-inflation/

"Foreign investor that loaded Thames Water with debt takes control of UK gas network"

No. Manx Gas buys its gas via Manx Utilities on the open market. 

McQuarrie have bought the gas national grid infrastructure.

Not sure if that includes the GB to NI interconnector that has a Tee branch line to Isle of Man. ( I’ve checked, they don’t )

McQuarrie will not invest, will sweat its assets by upping transmission costs, and will put the purchase cost as a debt of the business, as well as extracting huge dividends.

They've form. Steam Packet, Condor, Wight Link, Thames, dozens of others. Bit like the Tories they’ll screw it up, be generous to their mates, put the screw on Joe Public, and run. Someone else will end up holding the baby with the ( very ) dirty bath water.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting court judgment:

CIVIL DIVISION SUMMARY PROCEDURE Between: DAVID ANDREW BROWN and MANX GAS LIMITED 

Brown had basically got so fed up with inaccurate bills that he refused to pay them.  Manx Gas cut him off and he sued them.  And won, though the compensation isn't a lot more than the bills he didn't pay.

If 26 pages of reading about someone else's gas bills is your thing, then it's what you want.  But there's quite an insight into the way the company operates.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

If 26 pages of reading about someone else's gas bills is your thing, then it's what you want.  But there's quite an insight into the way the company operates.

It just confirms what we all already know. That Manx Gas managers are incompetent- especially Louise Cannell, named in the judgment. It also explains why the shut their customer counter- people can’t do awkward things like deliver letters if there’s no counter.

The wider issue is that CURA don’t regulate the customer service aspect and legislation gives the OFT no teeth. That comes back on Uncle Alf, the Temu Toryboy, who has spent most of his time in government trying to prevent any meaningful regulation of Manx Gas.

I don’t agree with John Wannenburgh on much, but he’s right about the fact we should have let/ensure Manx Gas go to the wall.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

I’m still struggling to get meaningful invoices. The closing balance on the last bill is always different to the brought forward balance on the current bill. I pay by standing order, a fixed sum every month. But the invoices always show receipt of 4 payments, instead of two.

The figures were always wildly out.

Ive written, phoned, e-mailed. I’ve withheld payment and was threatened with disconnection if I didn’t reinstate the SO, even although I was £700 in credit and was asking for a refund.

I withheld SO until I was sure I had a zero balance. Then restarted. MG told me they’d ironed out the bug affecting my bills. It wasn’t. They’ve now closed my old account and opened a new one, and claim I’ll have meaningful bills from now on.

You are naturally frustrated by their total incompetence but you have the intelligence to sort it out to a degree the worry here is how many people are totally confused by wrong billing and are upset because they have been told they owe money and there is no one to try and make sense of the situation for them and they are getting no answers from the Company.    I am sure there are many horror stories about people living in fear because this Company is not fit for purpose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1