IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

Mine came yesterday  £100 more than the last bill for the same amount of gas used ,  I must say after watching  the huge decrease in gas prices in Europe  recently ,you would think our regulator would be a little more vocal and appearing  to be taking an interest in whats been happening in the gas market ,or are they still hibernating ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Mine came yesterday  £100 more than the last bill for the same amount of gas used ,  I must say after watching  the huge decrease in gas prices in Europe  recently ,you would think our regulator would be a little more vocal and appearing  to be taking an interest in whats been happening in the gas market ,or are they still hibernating ?

Yes, but the European prices you see quoted are the wholesale price. Retail price is still high across Europe. Just had 5 big gas bottles delivered here in Catalonia. Cost three times as much as this time last year, and it’s 25% less than it was in September. In other words it went up 400% in 9 months.

My electric bill for November/December  is 60% of September/October.

It went up from €100 a month to €450 a month last year. To be fair I came off a fixed term fixed price contract in August and didn’t want to fix as I suspected it was top of the market. So I’m on my suppliers standard variable tariff. I’ll fix again in Spring, but only for a year.

Manx prices didn’t do that. Government is subsidising electric. CURA looked at the gas price just before Christmas. They didn’t move it. But they did reduce it in September and it will be reviewed in March. So the last CURA price fix was only 3-4 weeks ago. Hardly hibernating.

They'll be collecting and collating the figures for the March announcement now.

At the end of the day, as the profit IE/MG is allowed to make is a fixed percentage on assets rather than price of gas sold,  there’s nothing in it for the gas company to keep prices artificially high. However there is a downside. It doesn’t recognise or encourage operational efficiencies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don't think the MUA would make a horlicks of it, the water and electricity billing works and the customer services actually answer the phone.

If the MUA were to take over MG/IE and introduce smart metres like their SmarterLiving metres and app on your phone where us low income people can use PAYG, I'd be all for it. 

Yes I know it would cost money to implement, but I can dream, can't I?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

How do you know that. What is CURA's remit, where can it be found?

It has its own web site. Simple, basic, easy to navigate, informative.

Home page for gas  https://www.cura.im/gas/

Gas tariff  regs explained https://www.cura.im/media/1595/20220317_gas-regulations-2022-infographic.pdf

FAQ https://www.cura.im/gas/regulation

The regulations https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2022-SD-0068.pdf

25% tariff reduction from 14/11/22 https://www.cura.im/media/1755/20221102-tariff-review-information-notice-final.pdf

And why gas didn’t reduce further at 31/12/22 review https://www.cura.im/media/1787/20221221-tariff-review-information-notice-update.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

How do you know that. What is CURA's remit, where can it be found?

It's all on their website  but tl;dr they're responsible for agreeing tariffs and ensuring Manx Gas don't make more profit than permitted.

Making MG bill correctly is for the OFT. Which is a shame, as the OFT are useless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

It's all on their website  but tl;dr they're responsible for agreeing tariffs and ensuring Manx Gas don't make more profit than permitted.

Making MG bill correctly is for the OFT. Which is a shame, as the OFT are useless.

And always have been. All they seemingly currently are doing is passing on complaints to MG. Message boys with seemingly no teeth. Maybe thats all the powers that be want them to be. TBH , unless its happening which I doubt , Alf and his inner cicle should have pulled MG in as a matter of urgency and sort this out. Ohhh , and where's  Jo Cox !!??? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And always have been. All they seemingly currently are doing is passing on complaints to MG. Message boys with seemingly no teeth. Maybe thats all the powers that be want them to be. TBH , unless its happening which I doubt , Alf and his inner cicle should have pulled MG in as a matter of urgency and sort this out. Ohhh , and where's  Jo Cox !!??? 

Last seen in public trying to persuade the Jersey press that the explosion that killed a dozen or so islanders the same night as they reported smelling gas, may not actually have been caused by gas at all.

Obviously not one to let the slightest scrap of decency get in the way of her six figure salary.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, rodders said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/customers-take-to-social-media-to-highlight-ongoing-problems-with-gas-bills/

I had just over £350 taken from my account on Wednesday. On Thursday I wrote to my bank asking for a refund under the DD guarentee and cc'd in Iom Energy and the OFT. It's took me overdrawn and I'm fuming.

The latest on this farce.... On Wednesday I received my Gas bill, dated 29th December, with an 'actual' reading which was approximately 200 units above my current meter reading. Yesterday I got my direct debit refunded in full. Today I cancelled my direct debit. From now on it'll be a cheque stapled to a cover letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, rodders said:

The latest on this farce.... On Wednesday I received my Gas bill, dated 29th December, with an 'actual' reading which was approximately 200 units above my current meter reading. Yesterday I got my direct debit refunded in full. Today I cancelled my direct debit. From now on it'll be a cheque stapled to a cover letter.

Make sure you use a lot of staples. I recommend at least 25.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, rodders said:

From now on it'll be a cheque stapled to a cover letter.

I've still not had the bill but I know they read the meter as they left the gas cupboard door unlocked. !. I can wait and I don't think I am under any obligation to chase it am I ?

I don't have a direct debit and after reading this and all the other posts Ill be making sure I never do have one.

1 hour ago, rodders said:

I'd pay through the Post Office.  That way you save the cost of stamp and have hardcopy proof you paid.  They can still lose the payment, but at least they can't claim it's your fault.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'd pay through the Post Office.  That way you save the cost of stamp and have hardcopy proof you paid.  They can still lose the payment, but at least they can't claim it's your fault.

you're doing well to find a post office.

• Like 1