IOM Energy AKA Manx Gas

Major Rushen

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

According to John Wannenburgh MHK Head of the OFT, OFT will take enforcement action against Island Energy …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. if needed. 

The OFT and CURA has met with Island Energy and in the meantime Island Energy is saying everything is alright, nothing to worry about and people’s complaints have been dealt with. 

Sadly yet another whitewashing and handwringing exercise, I did expect better from John Wannenburgh, unfortunately he has completely fallen under the spell of the establishment, the civil service and others. Island Energy will just walk over everyone, and our politicos will happily let them. 

Not true. If this isn't resolved within the next few weeks there will be legal remedies sought. JW has made that clear in Tynwald today.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Not true. If this isn't resolved within the next few weeks there will be legal remedies sought. JW has made that clear in Tynwald today.

What legal remedies do the  OFT have. ? Genuine question. Not sure they have any .

Edited by Numbnuts

36 minutes ago, BillyNoMates said:

just let them gi bust next time they run out of cash and buy them up cheap. theyve profited enough over the years. 

the only down side to that is if IOMG take it all over the prices will increase further for greater profits , look at the steam packet.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

What legal remedies do the  OFT have. ? Genuine question. Not sure they have any .

Fair Trading Act 1996 (IIRC). IEG have been given a timescale, failure to comply could result in action and fines if CURA and the AG agrees to prosecute.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

According to John Wannenburgh MHK Head of the OFT, OFT will take enforcement action against Island Energy …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. if needed. 

The OFT and CURA has met with Island Energy and in the meantime Island Energy is saying everything is alright, nothing to worry about and people’s complaints have been dealt with. 

Sadly yet another whitewashing and handwringing exercise, I did expect better from John Wannenburgh, unfortunately he has completely fallen under the spell of the establishment, the civil service and others. Island Energy will just walk over everyone, and our politicos will happily let them. 

Mr Negative strikes again 😂

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Fair Trading Act 1996 (IIRC). IEG have been given a timescale, failure to comply could result in action and fines if CURA and the AG agrees to prosecute.

the key word being 'could'  sabre rattling at its best

• Like 4

When was the last time IoMG prosecuted and/or fined a major operator/business/monopoly concern (notwithstanding that such action would require the competent input of the AG's as well)?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, Stu Peters said:

It will never happen, the OFT know it, MG know it and everybody else knows it.

They've had months to sort it out, sod giving them till the end of January, give them till the end of this week.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It will never happen, the OFT know it, MG know it and everybody else knows it.

They've had months to sort it out, sod giving them till the end of January, give them till the end of this week.

You know what, I can see how some people just give up trying to be helpful and do the right thing? Maybe we should just be more like A Fool and ignore the law and due process and bluster our way through life making it up as we go along and criticising those who are trying to solve problems rather than just appear tough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You know what, I can see how some people just give up trying to be helpful and do the right thing? Maybe we should just be more like A Fool and ignore the law and due process and bluster our way through life making it up as we go along and criticising those who are trying to solve problems rather than just appear tough.

I stand by what I said further back. Im not sure they have any workable legislation that enables them to do anything. It would be down to civil courts or AG's office to come up with something and hell would freeze over first 

Edited by Numbnuts

47 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

i think you are confusing trying to the sort the problems out with denying the problems actually exist and carrying on regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

You know what, I can see how some people just give up trying to be helpful and do the right thing?

The law here is weak, though, which is why we are where we are. Across, they're not allowed to charge if they've not billed in 12 months, and they get fined if there are billing problems. Sadly that framework doesn't exist here.

Government have been too soft on Manx Gas- and, it has to be said, Manx Telecom and Sure- for far too long.

I had to laugh at Martin Lewis talking about "sky high broadband charges" in the UK that were barely half what I'm paying to Manx Telecom for crap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1