Peter Karran's New Year message

Shake me up Judy

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So we need to build more houses 25% of which should be Section 13 'affordable'.

https://www.gov.im/media/1367733/operational-policy-on-section-13-agreements-2020-121219.pdf

Unfortunately whilst there are rules, regulations and policy in place, large developers are wise as to how to handle IOMG and the planning process, and in part IOMG are scared of enforcing those rules and regulations for fear of upsetting anyone.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unfortunately whilst there are rules, regulations and policy in place, large developers are wise as to how to handle IOMG and the planning process, and in part IOMG are scared of enforcing those rules and regulations for fear of upsetting anyone.

Exactly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Come on-It's only 10 pages.

Then a couple of lines would have sufficed.

I'm guessing, as there tends to be a lack of original thought around hereabouts, that it's the same as the UK in that a development only gets planning permission if there are so many "affordable" houses included?

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Where is the cash used in btl coming from? 

A friend asked me to get the scoop on a two-bedroomed property they were interested in. So I hie me to the Estate Agents to be told they had already contacted a BTL cash buyer who they had dealt with before who was certain to buy. And so it proved and surprise surprise the letting agent turned out to be the Estate Agent who handled the sale!

All very quick, cosy, profitable and another property that can't be purchased by young manx folks.

I did, in fact, bump into the new owner as he was furnishing it in awful taste. "Monied English" would be my description of them...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Peter has been banging on for years on the same theme. It is impossible to restrict the purchase of houses to people who want to live in them. Rentals are part of the mix.

It must be irritating for Liberal Vannin to have their former leader issuing forth (sometimes incoherently) on the topic of housing.

Define coherent.

I personally think it's pretty irrelevant how Peter says things, the fact is, here as in many case, he speaks an awful lot of sense.

It certainly isn't impossible to restrict the purchase of housing to people who want to live in them - that's the kind of coherence we can do without.

He's 100% correct IMHO, the current government have done nothing to improve the housing crisis, despite all the hot air before the election. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He's 100% correct IMHO, the current government have done nothing to improve the housing crisis, despite all the hot air before the election. 

They changed the land registry fees to try and discourage investors and buy to let.  Not sure if it’s had any impact though.

Edited by Tinpot