No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think anyone begrudges the one man business with a car size van. However on brunswick Rd there is a painter and decorator with 2× 6m transits and a 6m hoist lift parked there taking up pretty much 5 or 6spaces. Oppostite him is a guy with a 7m sprinter. IMV that's antisocial. 

Are they parked on Resident Permits?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Can you provide a reference? I know that vehicles over 3.5t are not allowed anymore. Not that it stops anyone.

The police put some of the restrictions here:

https://www.iompolice.im/motoring/parking/

The takeaways seem to be 6mx2m and 3050kg unladen. So still a big old van in theory.

• Thanks 1

Turning the argument around, stopping business owners from owning/parking vehicles is a sure-fire way to limit economic development. We shouldn't be making life more difficult for small business owners, we should be helping them.

Camper Vans aren't a crime either. If I live in a 2-up-2-down, spending my weekends camping out in a van for the weekend is undoubtedly a good thing.

So many of the arguments against parking tend to be from middle-class curtain-twitchers with huge houses and off-road parking.

I'm not a fan of Government stepping into the commercial space, but it would make sense for some of the unused urban brownfield land to be dedicated to paid large vehicle parking for anyone who wants to use it - business owners, camper vans, whatever. Makes life easier for business, lets town residents escape the draconian parking restrictions that punish them for living there, raises some cash for the public purse.          

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Turning the argument around, stopping business owners from owning/parking vehicles is a sure-fire way to limit economic development. We shouldn't be making life more difficult for small business owners, we should be helping them.

Camper Vans aren't a crime either. If I live in a 2-up-2-down, spending my weekends camping out in a van for the weekend is undoubtedly a good thing.

So many of the arguments against parking tend to be from middle-class curtain-twitchers with huge houses and off-road parking.

I'm not a fan of Government stepping into the commercial space, but it would make sense for some of the unused urban brownfield land to be dedicated to paid large vehicle parking for anyone who wants to use it - business owners, camper vans, whatever. Makes life easier for business, lets town residents escape the draconian parking restrictions that punish them for living there, raises some cash for the public purse.          

It's the usual arguement. I agree that we shouldn't be ruining peoples businesses. But it seems some folks just take the piss.  The guy near me with his 3 * 6m+ vans on a residential street, in addition to his car is doing just that. 

I'm all for give and take but its going to far and some just want to take and not give a bit.  Have a walk on St Ninians Rd and see all the clapped out rusty vans that are dumped there. They never move. Tell me how that is contributing to our economy. They are not. They are just making life miserable for the poor residents and they need to be shifted. They are an eyesore and an embarrassment to our island.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's the usual arguement. I agree that we shouldn't be ruining peoples businesses. But it seems some folks just take the piss.  The guy near me with his 3 * 6m+ vans on a residential street, in addition to his car is doing just that. 

I'm all for give and take but its going to far and some just want to take and not give a bit.  Have a walk on St Ninians Rd and see all the clapped out rusty vans that are dumped there. They never move. Tell me how that is contributing to our economy. They are not. They are just making life miserable for the poor residents and they need to be shifted. They are an eyesore and an embarrassment to our island.  

No, they aren't. I understand it's clearly a bit of an emotive knee-jerk issue for you, but nobody is going to say a few vans parked in town is an "embarassment to the island". They're also "residents", the vans aren't being parked there by aliens, it's your neighbours that are struggling to run businesses in challenging times.

I say give them somewhere to park. That's a win-win for you and for them.

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

No, they aren't. I understand it's clearly a bit of an emotive knee-jerk issue for you, but nobody is going to say a few vans parked in town is an "embarassment to the island". They're also "residents", the vans aren't being parked there by aliens, it's your neighbours that are struggling to run businesses in challenging times.

I say give them somewhere to park. That's a win-win for you and for them.

Kneejerk. I have been jerking about this for years😆

I'm all for giving them places to park. That's not the point though

BTW - Go and take a walk down St Ninians Road and see for yourself. One van there has not moved since about November last year. The sills are absolutely rotten. Its a death trap. Shouldn't even be on the road. I know an elderly man who lives in there. He has to look at that eyesore every day. It makes him very unhappy.

Last year there was a old 7m Iveco truck (it was a part converted camper) with no tax on. I reported it and was told that it was taxed but since the owners were off Island for a year they couldn't get the tax disc onto it. 

No. Not aliens I agree. Pisstakers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

I agree with your last paragraph. Old Park road would be perfect. £200 a year. Has to be taxed, insured and road worthy at all times

Be a win win for everyone

• Like 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

Kneejerk. I have been jerking about this for years😆

I'm all for giving them places to park. That's not the point though

BTW - Go and take a walk down St Ninians Road and see for yourself. One van there has not moved since about November last year. The sills are absolutely rotten. Its a death trap. Shouldn't even be on the road. I know an elderly man who lives in there. He has to look at that eyesore every day. It makes him very unhappy.

Last year there was a old 7m Iveco truck (it was a part converted camper) with no tax on. I reported it and was told that it was taxed but since the owners were off Island for a year they couldn't get the tax disc onto it. 

No. Not aliens I agree. Pisstakers.

Seems we're in agreement, coming at the same viewpoint from different sides. We'd both like to see the large vehicles moved. I'd like to see them moved somewhere that was useful for small business and for someone who just wants to own a van and doesn't mind paying to park it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I know an elderly man who lives in there. He has to look at that eyesore every day. It makes him very unhappy.

why don't you move house then  ............................     :flowers:

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Bastard said:

It's a great idea - what you wrote about building car parks. That would be a much better place for people to keep their cars, vans etc.

The main issue is the way in which parked cars spam up the traffic - especially on main routes. The problem is exacerbated by some motorists insisting on driving down the middle of whatever space remains even when there would clearly be adequate clearance for two vehicles to pass. It seems to especially be a problem with people who drive Range Rovers.

8 hours ago, The Bastard said:

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/parking-and-parking-permits/residents-parking-permit/

Please note: Camper vans are NOT eligible for a resident’s parking permit. 

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...