No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe because somebody with a few quid bought an expensive property a few years back that buts on to the place and have been complaining  ever since.  its like comeovers who buy a house on the TT course and then whine they can't get out or home when ever they want.

Well you’d probably complain if neighbors were having loud parties into early morning ,burning pallets & rubbish, shitting everywhere & leaving rubbish strewn everywhere !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well you’d probably complain if neighbors were having loud parties into early morning ,burning pallets & rubbish, shitting everywhere & leaving rubbish strewn everywhere !!

Only if I wasn't invited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I don't disagree with your sentiment. However can I ask if you have ever witnessed what has gone on down there lately? Have you read what @Roxanneamd me posted? 

Fair enough,  if you think it's OK for people to sleep in vans, take drugs, get pissed, shit on the ground, leave bottles and litter, taking piles of pallets and having bonfires and generally being very unsociable,  damaging the area, then yes anarchy is OK for you.

Not for me.

DEFA have meddled and made it worse. But you can't just ignore it. You can't pretend it's OK. That's naive. 

Yes I've camped there many times and I have witnessed groups of rowdy teenagers having parties there, they weren't doing any harm though they were just having fun.

Taking you points one by one, yes I do think it's OK for people to sleep in vans, why the hell not? Taking drugs is not something I necessarily condone but if you think closing the Claddaghs will stop people who do so then you're deluded. Getting pissed is fine, we were all young once - lighten up for Christ sake. I've never seen anyone shit on the ground there, why would you when there's a perfectly good toilet block? If this has been the case (which I doubt) it's the fault of DEFA who have allowed a fairly young building to fall into disrepair. Bonfires have been banned there for years rightly or wrongly, off ground fires are fine, as is burning pallets, why would that be a problem? I've never seen anyone damaging the area, it's in generally very good condition.

No one is forced to camp there, if you find the behaviour of other campers unsociable then either man up or don't go there. DEFA have severely reduce the space on which you can camp in recent years meaning that everyone is squashed into the same smallish area. Before, if there were a particularly rowdy bunch you could camp away from them, not so now - so they've actually made the situation much worse! As well as limiting camping to a small part of the year, Christ alone knows why?

As for anarchy, it's Sulby FFS not the Bronx!  What you're objecting to is people being given the freedom to have a bit of fun. To remove this every time someone complains about something is an extremely dangerous precedent to set. As I said we've had three cases of this in quick succession, Snuff the Wind, The small part of the Ayres set aside as a "leisure area" and now the Claddagh. Not a single one of them had a compelling reason for doing so.

As I have said before, that toilet block is probably around 30 years old, brick built with a slate roof. Why has it been condemned? Who's condemned it?  What's wrong with it that can't be fixed?  The E in DEFA stands for environment, we are in the middle of a climate emergency. Why are they planning to knock down a building made substantially from cement, the manufacture of which produces an astronomical amount of carbon emissions? Why aren't they looking to repair the (probably very little) that's wrong with it? It's madness, and if you think DEFA are telling us the whole truth you're an idiot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

maybe because somebody with a few quid bought an expensive property a few years back that buts on to the place and have been complaining  ever since.  its like comeovers who buy a house on the TT course and then whine they can't get out or home when ever they want.

That's exactly it, it's the truth you'll never hear from DEFA, but it is the driving force behind most of the changes that have happened in recent years, culminating in the current shit show. 

The Claddagh has always been a party campsite in the summer, for decades and decades. It was only after the person you speak off moved in (and not particularly close either) that it became a problem.

Money talks!

2 hours ago, Banker said:

For context the property you refer to is a good few hundred metres from the camping area, most of that distance being covered in mature trees.

The campsite was well established and used for many decades before the complainant moved in.

I wonder what would happen if we were all allowed to dictate, with government backing,  other people's behaviours and activities for a radius of hundreds of metres around our own house, regardless of how long they've been legitimately doing it before we'd decided to move in. I dread to think what the island would be like.

A very, very dangerous precedent to set - what do you like to do in your spare time?

20 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes I've camped there many times and I have witnessed groups of rowdy teenagers having parties there, they weren't doing any harm though they were just having fun.

Taking you points one by one, yes I do think it's OK for people to sleep in vans, why the hell not? Taking drugs is not something I necessarily condone but if you think closing the Claddaghs will stop people who do so then you're deluded. Getting pissed is fine, we were all young once - lighten up for Christ sake. I've never seen anyone shit on the ground there, why would you when there's a perfectly good toilet block? If this has been the case (which I doubt) it's the fault of DEFA who have allowed a fairly young building to fall into disrepair. Bonfires have been banned there for years rightly or wrongly, off ground fires are fine, as is burning pallets, why would that be a problem? I've never seen anyone damaging the area, it's in generally very good condition.

No one is forced to camp there, if you find the behaviour of other campers unsociable then either man up or don't go there. DEFA have severely reduce the space on which you can camp in recent years meaning that everyone is squashed into the same smallish area. Before, if there were a particularly rowdy bunch you could camp away from them, not so now - so they've actually made the situation much worse! As well as limiting camping to a small part of the year, Christ alone knows why?

As for anarchy, it's Sulby FFS not the Bronx!  What you're objecting to is people being given the freedom to have a bit of fun. To remove this every time someone complains about something is an extremely dangerous precedent to set. As I said we've had three cases of this in quick succession, Snuff the Wind, The small part of the Ayres set aside as a "leisure area" and now the Claddagh. Not a single one of them had a compelling reason for doing so.

As I have said before, that toilet block is probably around 30 years old, brick built with a slate roof. Why has it been condemned? Who's condemned it?  What's wrong with it that can't be fixed?  The E in DEFA stands for environment, we are in the middle of a climate emergency. Why are they planning to knock down a building made substantially from cement, the manufacture of which produces an astronomical amount of carbon emissions? Why aren't they looking to repair the (probably very little) that's wrong with it? It's madness, and if you think DEFA are telling us the whole truth you're an idiot.

What about burning piles of pallets?

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Fair enough,  if you think it's OK for people to sleep in vans, take drugs, get pissed, shit on the ground, leave bottles and litter, taking piles of pallets and having bonfires and generally being very unsociable,  damaging the area, then yes anarchy is OK for you.

That’s for the police to police if it’s that bad. This is half the problem with DEFAs stupid approach. You charge people a permit to camp so the issue then becomes your problem. If you just left people alone and they demonstrate anti social behaviour it’s a matter for the police. Get a squad car down and move them on. But no DEFA treat it as their little “revenue generator” so they end up paying out £50K to G4S to “protect” their facility and lose money protecting “income” that isn’t income it’s cost. It’s another problem that never needed to exist in the first place if civil servants just did sod all and left everything alone. There should be no need for anyone to have to buy a permit to have to camp anywhere in the IOM and if anyone causes a nuisance its the police’s job to deal with it. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What about burning piles of pallets?

Bonfires have been banned there for years, off ground fires are allowed. I don't know what kind of off ground fires you've seen but good luck burning piles of pallets on them.

Breaking up pallets and burning them is fine though, why not? Is it because they are free? Are you more of a artificial scented log from the petrol station kind of man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That'll be handy for the Northern sections of the course, will it be free?

A picture here from 1972-73 from the imuseum clearly showing a mobile toilet block many years befor the brick one was built. Where there's a will there's a way.

claddagh.png

Easy solutions that seem simply impossible for our civil servants to access 

https://www.portablespace.co.uk/product/2-1-steel-toilet-12ft-x-9ft

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Makes you wonder what they knew about providing toilet facilities 50 years ago that we don't know today.

What a shame to throw away over half a century of  very popular, unregulated leisure activity just because one person has moved in nearby and hasn't got enough to do.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Makes you wonder what they knew about providing toilet facilities 50 years ago that we don't know today.

What a shame to throw away over half a century of  very popular, unregulated leisure activity just because one person has moved in nearby and hasn't got enough to do.

It’s across the board. 50 years ago we had 2 people in the tourist board and rammed hotels with hundreds of thousands of visitors a year. Now we have probably 20 people in the same department just making pointless stuff up and who can’t even work out why nobody is coming here. Same with every other department of government, it all worked fine when it was a few people who were good at their jobs just letting things happen. So you’d book a holiday and ring the tourist board and they’d say so you need somewhere to stay - why not camp at the Claddagh it’s free. Ok thanks. It was as easy as that but now we can’t let anything happen as it’s got to keep all these morons in jobs being awkward and finding fake revenue opportunities. You’ll need a permit to go for a crap in your own house one day to keep an army of permit monitors in jobs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, BriT said:

It’s across the board. 50 years ago we had 2 people in the tourist board and rammed hotels with hundreds of thousands of visitors a year. Now we have probably 20 people in the same department just making pointless stuff up and who can’t even work out why nobody is coming here. Same with every other department of government, it all worked fine when it was a few people who were good at their jobs just letting things happen. So you’d book a holiday and ring the tourist board and they’d say so you need somewhere to stay - why not camp at the Claddagh it’s free. Ok thanks. It was as easy as that but now we can’t let anything happen as it’s got to keep all these morons in jobs being awkward and finding fake revenue opportunities. You’ll need a permit to go for a crap in your own house one day to keep an army of permit monitors in jobs. 

50 years ago easyJet & all the other cheap airlines didn’t exist neither did cheap holidays to Europe!

Comparing to 50 years ago when most NW England didn’t have much choice is just stupid!

• Sad 4