No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You seem to be well informed on this topic. Have you considered publishing a book on the subject? Perhaps titled - A Users Guide to Public Conveniences on the Isle of Man - Essential Reading for Tourists.

Of course you would have to include those open-air toilets in Laxey - world-class, they are.

Don't include Castletown quayside Government DOI closed them ages ago  ,so don't take short !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Claddaghs used to be a great spot for families in the day.    Why not make it a site strictly for motorholmes who have their own toilets and washing facilities?   Make it free…so no wardens, permits etc .   Everything the Government touches is disastrous and ends up costing money.

Then ends up shut!

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

The Claddaghs was never exactly a successful family campsite. It was a ramshackle piece of boggy scrubland used almost exclusively by pimply youths in £5 tents to set fires and drink cider in between rowing with other pimply youths.  

that was the 80's for me too ,  merrydown silver or gold and a box of findus burgers  with half a dozen baps and a packet of bacon trying to wheelie the length of the place on a 125,  oh to be back there now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

why cant they use mobile toilets similar to the ones used at the agricultural shows , they can  be connected to the existing water  and sewage system , and could be used  until  la replacement is constructed , or have we given up on providing facilities for locals and tourists?

Except if, as Dave Hedgehog thinks, the septic tank is broken, then there's no sewage option.  And mobile toilets are expensive to hire, maintain and service - and even more prone to vandalism than the regular kind.

But this looks just like another case of not keeping things maintained because that sort of thing is beneath them.  And a vague belief that the public don't really deserve facilities from the government.  (Neither of these things are new to the Island, or indeed unique to it).

• Like 3

When DEFA decided to "assimilate" the Claddaghs a few years ago by driving in stobs, gating it and restricting access there was uproar. People claimed that it was "common ground", had been for years and it wasn't DEFA's to assimilate. IIRC, there were various investigations but DEFA had their way anyway, with claims of unsociable behaviour and vandalism. Prior to that, people had previously enjoyed it as a free amenity for generations and it was a recognised camping snd leisure area. The existing toilet block had only been constructed with difficulty after an adjoining landowner had refused to allow a water supply to cross his land although he quickly acquiesced under offer of a big payoff.

Then came the camping permits and the wardens, followed by the recent revelations that over £50k was spent annually on maintenance and "security" against a return of only £7k in permits.

So prior to Govt involvement, it was a known and used amenity. Govt gets involved and it gets political, costs a fortune and ends up shut to all, including X number of TT visitors who would normally use it.

The Reverse Midas Touch; as ever.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Look on the bright side? Maybe this will see a reduction of the campervan brigade? Nowhere to park to make a cup of tea? |Get rid of this 20k 'van'?

WIN WIN?

The English love them, get a good price over there?

20k van? Seriously?

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

OK smart ass, give me a price then???

I was at the motorhome and caravan exhibition on Wednesday at the NEC. My guess would be that the average price of a motorhome is 75K. We bought one to replace the one we have already.  Cost 129k.

We tour in UK and Europe. I can assure you our tourist spend is quite high and generally welcomed. This is specially the case in France.  Nearly every small town and village is competing to attract motorhomes with free or cheap Aires.

• Like 2

I don’t know why IOMG doesn’t sell Sulby Claddaghs, and put the proceeds into Treasury Coffers. I know this will cause uproar, but IOMG ride roughshod anyway and couldn’t care less about islanders. The constituency MHK and Chief Minister  would probably be happy if the land was a big housing development of executive boxes.