No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

42 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I was at the motorhome and caravan exhibition on Wednesday at the NEC. My guess would be that the average price of a motorhome is 75K. We bought one to replace the one we have already.  Cost 129k.

We tour in UK and Europe. I can assure you our tourist spend is quite high and generally welcomed. This is specially the case in France.  Nearly every small town and village is competing to attract motorhomes with free or cheap Aires.

taking your own teabags to France is advisable, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If they've only just released this news now, I wonder how long ago the toilet block was actually inspected and condemned?

As in how long have they sat on this and done nothing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barber’s comments on the subject of the Claddaghs demonstrate a familiar tendency in politicians within Government. She speaks as if she is there to support and defend her Department and the decisions of those employed within it. She forgets that it is the public that voted for her and that it is the interests of the public that she is supposed to represent. Balance is needed. There are many people who enjoyed camping at Sulby. They are now disregarded in favour of the eco-nazis in DEFA who, rather than take a forward thinking and balanced view about public access to the environment, prefer to police the public out of it. Respect for the environment comes from awareness of it by allowing reasonable access to designated recreational areas with facilities that make respectful use of it more likely. Instead we have ban, ban, ban. I suspect a future “consultation” will confirm the decision to keep the public away and push them into prepared spaces where they pay handsomely for the privilege of an overnight stay.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, joebean said:

Barber’s comments on the subject of the Claddaghs demonstrate a familiar tendency in politicians within Government. She speaks as if she is there to support and defend her Department and the decisions of those employed within it. She forgets that it is the public that voted for her and that it is the interests of the public that she is supposed to represent. Balance is needed. There are many people who enjoyed camping at Sulby. They are now disregarded in favour of the eco-nazis in DEFA who, rather than take a forward thinking and balanced view about public access to the environment, prefer to police the public out of it. Respect for the environment comes from awareness of it by allowing reasonable access to designated recreational areas with facilities that make respectful use of it more likely. Instead we have ban, ban, ban. I suspect a future “consultation” will confirm the decision to keep the public away and push them into prepared spaces where they pay handsomely for the privilege of an overnight stay.  

I'm sorry to say that I dont agree with all this. Seems to me that it's like up at the Point. A minority spoil it for everyone else. People now go to these places to party. I have seen it with my own eyes. Leaving litter and worse, fires, drugs etc. If it wasnt policed it would be mayhem. The old days are gone for ever, sadly I think, so has wild camping at Sulby. We used to go regularly but never been last few years after a terrible experience. Yobs running round all night shouting and swearing. Drunk as anything.  Peeing in the open without a care. 

It's sad but I dont know the answer. Government shouldnt be funding security guards who have no legal powers and the police have better things to do.

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm sorry to say that I dont agree with all this. Seems to me that it's like up at the Point. A minority spoil it for everyone else. People now go to these places to party. I have seen it with my own eyes. Leaving litter and worse, fires, drugs etc. If it wasnt policed it would be mayhem. The old days are gone for ever, sadly I think, so has wild camping at Sulby. We used to go regularly but never been last few years after a terrible experience. Yobs running round all night shouting and swearing. Drunk as anything.  Peeing in the open without a care. 

It's sad but I dont know the answer. Government shouldnt be funding security guards who have no legal powers and the police have better things to do.

You may be right about the experience, but that kind of behaviour is not likely to come from motorhome owners is it? I own a motorhome but never use it to overnight in the Island. My experience is that motorhome owners tend to be mature and respectful of the environment and rarely spend the night outside their vehicle partying or urinating in public. I’ve never done that from mine and I’ve not camped around any other motorhome owner who does so either. I visit the Ayres regularly and have seen motorhomes and camper vans there regularly and have not seen any environmental damage caused by them. The privilege of being there appears to be respected. I have seen wilful damage caused by faster, lighter vehicles which could not be the result of a Motorhome. It’s this minority that needs to be dealt with rather than blanket banning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, joebean said:

You may be right about the experience, but that kind of behaviour is not likely to come from motorhome owners is it? I own a motorhome but never use it to overnight in the Island. My experience is that motorhome owners tend to be mature and respectful of the environment and rarely spend the night outside their vehicle partying or urinating in public. I’ve never done that from mine and I’ve not camped around any other motorhome owner who does so either. I visit the Ayres regularly and have seen motorhomes and camper vans there regularly and have not seen any environmental damage caused by them. The privilege of being there appears to be respected. I have seen wilful damage caused by faster, lighter vehicles which could not be the result of a Motorhome. It’s this minority that needs to be dealt with rather than blanket banning. 

Use of a motorhome doesn't automatically make you a better class of person.

There's nothing to stop a load of yoofs scrambling into the back of a battered Transit to park up for cider and shenanigans, if they can't go elsewhere. 

What have the constituency MHKs done or ever done for Sulby Claddaghs? Alf? Tim? Allinson or Hooperman? Nobody really gives a toss, amenities disintegrate and then the usual excuses come trotting out. Or it’s not up to standards etc. Yes, there is an element who wilfully destroy facilities, and sadly the justice system has a part to play. Considering camping, caravanning, mobile homes etc are very much in favour and there is a lack of decent hotels or tourist facilities, where are people who come to the island supposed to stay? If IOMG don’t want to update, or fix the facilities then perhaps they would be better off selling the site for housing, one less amenity to pay for. 

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What have the constituency MHKs done or ever done for Sulby Claddaghs? Alf? Tim? Allinson or Hooperman? Nobody really gives a toss, amenities disintegrate and then the usual excuses come trotting out. Or it’s not up to standards etc. Yes, there is an element who wilfully destroy facilities, and sadly the justice system has a part to play. Considering camping, caravanning, mobile homes etc are very much in favour and there is a lack of decent hotels or tourist facilities, where are people who come to the island supposed to stay? If IOMG don’t want to update, or fix the facilities then perhaps they would be better off selling the site for housing, one less amenity to pay for. 

I think they should either do a glen willin and lease it out as a proper campsite to a 3rd party operator charging £35 per night or fill it with native trees and it be gone for good.

Government running campsites? Not a good idea. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think they should either do a glen willin and lease it out as a proper campsite to a 3rd party operator charging £35 per night or fill it with native trees and it be gone for good.

Government running campsites? Not a good idea. 

Glen Wyllin is a perfect example of how good it can be when you have someone in charge who knows what they are doing and who understands what it's all about. They are fairly 'light touch' and their only rule seems to be, 'Don't be a dick'.  It works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cinderella said:

Meanwhile, the up and coming glamping development on Port Erin’s outer suburbs is gathering pace. This week’s addition are what look like fenced in square boxes - facing the main road. This facility is a very dumb idea. Glamping can be great - but not next door to main road and housing

It’s not just glamping pods, there’s going to be some spaces for visiting motor homes, some holiday bungalows etc , run by same people as glen Helen.

of course you forgot to mention that a large part of development backs onto golf course, has views to bradda head & is ideally placed to use port Erin shops etc but don’t let facts get in the way of a good Manx moan😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelmutX said:

They've had a year to get those small buildings sorted... complete ineptitude, laziness, lack of interest and especially, no back-handers. Why did they ever need a 24/7 security at the Claddaghs in the first place is mind boggling!

Just listened to this on the radio how the absolute f**k can you lose money charging people to camp in field. That campsite has been run forever and now we can’t even do this. F**king embarrassing. There’s was Claire Barber too giving a load of DEFA waffle about reviewing their revenue strategy - for a field! What does that useless article actually do? If it doesn’t involve virtue signaling or waving a rainbow flag she seems to be totally useless and ineffective in everything she says or does. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1