No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

Just listened to this on the radio how the absolute f**k can you lose money charging people to camp in field. That campsite has been run forever and now we can’t even do this. F**king embarrassing. There’s was Claire Barber too giving a load of DEFA waffle about reviewing their revenue strategy - for a field! What does that useless article actually do? If it doesn’t involve virtue signaling or waving a rainbow flag she seems to be totally useless and ineffective in everything she says or does. 

She speaks well of you too.

• Haha 3

There's some big salaries need paying in Ramsey Town Hall.

But it's ok, Barber says nobody was booked to stay at the Claddaghs. Probably because it's only fucking February.

This Island is being run by complete arseholes. Simple as.

Screenshot_20230224-125822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Just listened to this on the radio how the absolute f**k can you lose money charging people to camp in field. 

By charging £15 per van/tent for the season and then spending 50k on security fees.

Just so you know, it's not a campsite and never has been. It's land owed by the government and zoned for public use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelmutX said:

They've had a year to get those small buildings sorted... complete ineptitude, laziness, lack of interest and especially, no back-handers. Why did they ever need a 24/7 security at the Claddaghs in the first place is mind boggling!

Why would they sort out a building that isn't going to be used anymore? 

That would have been inept.

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m aware of that but you need a permit to camp there so it’s a campsite however it’s zoned. 

No, it isn't and it never has been, even if you like to call it that.

"The Sulby Claddagh is not a registered campsite and there is no right to overnight camp on the site. Camping is permissible, under the Sulby Claddagh Byelaws 2010 as amended 2011, through the issuing of seasonal permits by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA)."

By your reckoning The Ayres must also have been a campsite and the Mooragh park. They weren't and they never have been. Camping has only ever been permitted by use of the permit.

But do please carry on till you're blue in the face telling me that your classification is correct.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

But do please carry on till you're blue in the face telling me that your classification is correct.

You’re the one blue in the face. You buy a seasonal permit to camp there from the DEFA. That makes it a campsite (ie, somewhere where you are able to camp). However you want to define it you pay to be allowed to camp there regardless of what the actual status of the land is. It’s not like you can camp anywhere else in this ridiculous Island without also having a permit to camp as bizarrely wild camping isn’t allowed. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

3 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Use of a motorhome doesn't automatically make you a better class of person.

There's nothing to stop a load of yoofs scrambling into the back of a battered Transit to park up for cider and shenanigans, if they can't go elsewhere. 

A battered old Transit is not a motorhome. It’s a battered old Transit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

There's a huge mistrust from government and authorities about people who want to live an alternative lifestyle. In other countries like Europe and the US it is welcomed and encouraged but here and in the UK anyone who doesn't have an interest believes that anyone in a van is a dirty freeloader who empties their toilet into the gardens of others.

When I lived in Peel I made a case for the new marina to set side places for 4/5 vans with a slot meter, access to toilets and showers.  It was an ideal opportunity to build it as the ground works were being done. Despite a huge amount of work on my part it was turned down for no other reason than they didn't like the sound of it. A lot of motorhome owners have money and they like to spend that money.  Peel would have benefited from that but they were too blinkered to see past what they read in the Daily Mail.

I also worked hard to get the campsite to allow vans to be stored for the winter and to get them off the street.  The commissioners' meeting was an absolute pantomime with one lady commissioner saying it would turn into a gyspy encampment. It went ahead but with strict regulations and a hefty monthly fee for storage.  I've no idea if it's still running but I do know that the hostility toward anyone wishing to follow that lifestyle is pretty widespread.

It’s very trendy now both camping, wild camping and motorhomes in particular. Loads of videos on Facebook, camping in wild weather in tents (inflatable) with small wood burning stoves. Considering we have a government quango which is supposed to be tasked with bringing tourists to the island, and selling the island, it’s not a good advertisement, especially to those familiar with the island, when you take away one of sites which both local and visitors use. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s very trendy now both camping, wild camping and motorhomes in particular. Loads of videos on Facebook, camping in wild weather in tents (inflatable) with small wood burning stoves. Considering we have a government quango which is supposed to be tasked with bringing tourists to the island, and selling the island, it’s not a good advertisement, especially to those familiar with the island, when you take away one of sites which both local and visitors use. 

It’s insane that unlike most of the UK you can’t even go camping in the IOM without buying a permit issued by a civil servant. I’ve seen some adverse comments online from UK campers looking to come here literally amazed that you can’t just camp anywhere and you have to buy a permit in order to park up a motor home on a designated plot of land. As you say it’s just putting off potential tourists. Pay £600 to put your motor home on the boat and then buy a permit so you can stay in a designated site. It sort of defeats the entire purpose of camping. Nevermind those 500,000 tourists are on their way! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s insane that unlike most of the UK you can’t even go camping in the IOM without buying a permit issued by a civil servant. I’ve seen some adverse comments online from UK campers looking to come here literally amazed that you can’t just camp anywhere and you have to buy a permit in order to park up a motor home on a designated plot of land. As you say it’s just putting off potential tourists. Pay £600 to put your motor home on the boat and then buy a permit so you can stay in a designated site. It sort of defeats the entire purpose of camping. Nevermind those 500,000 tourists are on their way! 

They could always park their motor home at Chester Street car park at night. I don’t know whether the toilets are open though? That’s if its low height.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Strictly speaking they can’t if they’re sleeping in it. It just seems that we do everything in our power to ruin peoples enjoyment of anything in the IOM. This (the Claddagh’s) is a field. They had two years over covid where they could have completely fixed the toilets when nobody was using the site for the TT or MGP but no they did absolutely f**k all but wait until we’re trying to build the events back up again and then close the site to campers because they’ve done absolutely bugger all. Same weak, lazy, excuses for people basically not giving a toss and being shit at their jobs. But as they get paid anyway not one of them cares. 

FFS calm down it’s a shitty little place in sulby which as has been pointed out is not a campsite, surprisingly you’re not blaming DBC for it😂

• Haha 2