No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If you read the press release you will see that it's not just about the toilets. it's also about the safety of the site. On campsites vans and tents must be five metres apart at least.  On the Claddagh, (there's only one by the way so it's not Claddaghs) people were squeezed in all over the place. The 'security' were there simply to check permits, they did not regulate the place, so there were numerous safety hazards and no-one regulating it. All it needed was a fire pit to catch to a tent and the whole lot would have gone up.  This was not an isolated incident, it was every weekend. I wouldn't mind betting that the 'toilets' are bit of a red herring and the biggest issue by far was public safety.

It's been used as a campsite for well over half a century without regulation, I've never heard of anyone being hurt or seriously injured.

It's very nice of DEFA to be so concerned about these people, but who's going to look after them now they're not allowed on the Claddagh? Perhaps they should introduce some kind of permit system to monitor their activities in their own home. We could have G4S parked on every street corner on the island just incase anybody does anything slightly risky.

If DEFA can't run it why don't they fuck off and leave the people it was intended for to get on with enjoying it without them, as they did for decades before DEFA's unwanted involvement.

First Snuff the Wind, next the small part of the Ayres on which camping was allowed, now the Claddagh. Three very popular, well established areas that have been legitimately used by the public for many, many decades for harmless, perfectly legal leisure activities - all banned within a couple of years for no good reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I can't see the attraction of a camper van on the Island. You have to stock up, drive 20 miles and then cook for yourselves!!!

You could eat out at a decent restaurant 300 times for the cost of the van?

OK, if you are driving to the south of France/Spain and self catering, there may be a small saving but can't you fly to the Med for less? Surely the fun of holidaying down there is 'eating out' ???

PS. Unless you want beans on toast and PG Tips!!!

Well, if I get a camper van it's going to be a cheap one for the start. We all need a break, we haven't all got the £££ or time to escape the rock as often as we would like.

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's been used as a campsite for well over half a century without regulation, I've never heard of anyone being hurt or seriously injured.

It's very nice of DEFA to be so concerned about these people, but who's going to look after them now they're not allowed on the Claddagh? Perhaps they should introduce some kind of permit system to monitor their activities in their own home. We could have G4S parked on every street corner on the island just incase anybody does anything slightly risky.

If DEFA can't run it why don't they fuck off and leave the people it was intended for to get on with enjoying it without them, as they did for decades before DEFA's unwanted involvement.

First Snuff the Wind, next the small part of the Ayres on which camping was allowed, now the Claddagh. Three very popular, well established areas that have been legitimately used by the public for many, many decades for harmless, perfectly legal leisure activities - all banned within a couple of years for no good reason.

There will be no disturbance to the ground at Snuff the wind if they put wind turbines up there....🙄

DEFA are a pile of shit, closing facilities, letting Dutch elm disease run away from them, the meat plant, the wool fiasco etc etc

And the way they treated Dan, and Barbers 180 when she became minister.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Don't forget the public footpaths in the Dhoon Glen that they've closed while they wait for no less than 60 diseased trees to come down of their own accord and "return to nature".

I suggest that this Dept's staff has given up its responsibilities in favour of doing FA whilst getting paid a lot of money for doing so.

• Like 10

The MGP supporters club is upset at this decision they said it will impact on marshalls, fans and local businesses.    If this decision had to be made why was it not made after MGP last year so the visitors who were hoping to use it could find an alternative site.   Apparently it has been impossible to get through to book places but some may have thought this was just slackness now we know it was the back handed way this Government handles its affairs. The drip, drip effect does not make bad news easier to digest it just frustrates.    So the statement that no one had booked a space was not that they did not want one they were unable to do so. If a private business performed the way the Government does they would be shut down and bankrupt.   I do hope that is not a prophesy 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The MGP supporters club is upset at this decision they said it will impact on marshalls, fans and local businesses.    If this decision had to be made why was it not made after MGP last year so the visitors who were hoping to use it could find an alternative site.   Apparently it has been impossible to get through to book places but some may have thought this was just slackness now we know it was the back handed way this Government handles its affairs. The drip, drip effect does not make bad news easier to digest it just frustrates.    So the statement that no one had booked a space was not that they did not want one they were unable to do so. If a private business performed the way the Government does they would be shut down and bankrupt.   I do hope that is not a prophesy 🙄

We live in hope!

.... but Hoops, that doesn't explain the attraction of camper vans? If you cannot afford to leave the Island, you still have your car to get around our 10x30 Island and then go home to your comfy bed and an evening on the sofa watching TV, no more cost than always incurred?

35 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... but Hoops, that doesn't explain the attraction of camper vans? If you cannot afford to leave the Island, you still have your car to get around our 10x30 Island and then go home to your comfy bed and an evening on the sofa watching TV, no more cost than always incurred?

A lot of families would be hard pushed to afford one trip off the island a year or less. Camping at the Claddagh for decades was something you used to be able to do for free, once you'd bought a £30 tent. Then DEFA started trying to "manage" it and within a few short years we are where we are today.

It's very clear to me that's it's not camping that's the problem at the Claddagh, it's DEFA - ban them from the place and let the campers get on with it.

• Like 2

As I've said elsewhere it is symptomatic of the place where the Government and CS make everything drown in red tape to the point of strangulation. It should be no surprise to us, when we are drowning in pencil necks, that we are strangled with bureaucracy. I have seen private investment time and time again walk away from the island (airport) because it is simply too difficult to make any progress dealing with these bureaucratic fools !

Things won't change because Government have a huge block vote if you will of the many people employed in these stifling roles !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

On a whim, let's have a night out in Port Erin, where ever, drive down there, park up, and the world's your oyster. Sort of.

Or, if you're fed up with your neighbours mates calling at fvcking 2 a.m, "Sorry mate, got the wrong address", drive up to the Ayres.........................well, it was the idea.

Freedom to flourish*

* Daylight hours only. Terms and conditions apply, see DEFA for details.

Anyway, should be able to park in lots of places soon, the wheat growers have lost their main client, the sheep farmer's aren't getting paid for the wool, a beef farmer was telling me the price they get for their animals, if the meat packaging plant allows them to deliver the animals, doesn't cover costs.....meanwhile, more money given to the climate change fund while one thing we could help control, the food miles, etc etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

A lot of families would be hard pushed to afford one trip off the island a year or less. Camping at the Claddagh for decades was something you used to be able to do for free, once you'd bought a £30 tent. Then DEFA started trying to "manage" it and within a few short years we are where we are today.

It's very clear to me that's it's not camping that's the problem at the Claddagh, it's DEFA - ban them from the place and let the campers get on with it.

I don't disagree with your sentiment. However can I ask if you have ever witnessed what has gone on down there lately? Have you read what @Roxanneamd me posted? 

Fair enough,  if you think it's OK for people to sleep in vans, take drugs, get pissed, shit on the ground, leave bottles and litter, taking piles of pallets and having bonfires and generally being very unsociable,  damaging the area, then yes anarchy is OK for you.

Not for me.

DEFA have meddled and made it worse. But you can't just ignore it. You can't pretend it's OK. That's naive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

maybe because somebody with a few quid bought an expensive property a few years back that buts on to the place and have been complaining  ever since.  its like comeovers who buy a house on the TT course and then whine they can't get out or home when ever they want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1