No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Not so. You can have a bike tested without lights, the pass documentation will then be issued stating "daylight hours use only".

The test criteria is that if lights are fitted then they must work.

My brother does some green-laning on quads.  They are road registered with plates, but don't have lights. 

As a mountainbiker, I see a lot of the damage done on the upland moors by the guys on Scramblers (so named accurately).  Some of those ruts they dig out can be meters deep and deadly if you get caught in one on a mountainbike.  The ruts then also form the path of least resistance for water run-off and get exponentially worse. 

I've not got a problem with them actually staying on actual tracks though, it's just when they go off-piste.  Like everything, there are always twats. Although I have almost been hit a couple of times by guys thrashing up the tracks. 

A few years ago I was coming down Baroose track behind the Liverpool Arms (only a metre wide in places) and a guy was flying up, so fast that he had no time to bail to avoid me and launched him and his bike up over the hedge into an adjacent field.  That took a while to sort out! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Good question.  As the Crown bought the Island from the Duke of Athol in 1765 I suspect they own the whole lot.

Not sure it is that simple, but someone will confirm. 

ETA The IOM is not listed in their assets. 

Edited by Gladys