No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

100? Try 200 or even 300, the Ginger is almost permanently rammed during that period and stays open until well after midnight. Over two weeks with passing and restaurant trade as well that figure must be realistic. 

There is not space or the facilities on that field for 300 people.

I think the £60K figure is either guesswork or their turnover for the entire period from everyone. I doubt their systems are that sophisticated to allow them to measure the amount of trade they get from just the campsite. 

That said I know there are some other private options being explored which are low cost, and go on already on other parts of the Isle of Man during that period. 

There was an FOI about Claddagh running costs last year - see attached. The big cost is security but there's also elements for litter and dog egg clearance. If the users can't clear up their mess and behave themselves, they can't expect the taxpayer to cover them can they?

The land could be sold to a developer. You could build a nice little estate there😇

Response (all information to be supplied) (1).pdf

Edited by piebaps
Pointing eejits to the attachment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, piebaps said:

There was an FOI about Claddagh running costs last year - see attached. The big cost is security but there's also elements for litter and dog egg clearance. If the users can't clear up their mess and behave themselves, they can't expect the taxpayer to cover them can they?

The land could be sold to a developer. You could build a nice little estate there😇

Response (all information to be supplied) (1).pdf 174.4 kB · 3 downloads

Although  as @Roxanne has pointed out previously, the "security" isn't. It's just two permit checkers (probably sent there in arrangement with Markwell House) and the £56k fees paid to G4S for this privilege dwarfs the £6k-odd stated for maintenance such as grass-cutting and litter/turd removal which in itself doesn't sound excessive and is under the £7k permit takings.

For £56k the site should have been getting proper, seasonal 24hr security with a couple of ex-pub bouncers if necessary.

The mismanagement of this £56k has been contributing to the source of where we are. People need to be asking how and why this figure was arrived at and paid.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Kopek said:

A loss of 60k??? I wonder if Income tax and VAT will be looking back at last years figures???

I know one particularly heavy TT about 10 years ago, I spent pretty much £1000 just in the Beer Tent and burger vans! 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Although  as @Roxanne has pointed out previously, the "security" isn't. It's just two permit checkers (probably sent there in arrangement with Markwell House) and the £56k fees paid to G4S for this privilege dwarfs the £6k-odd stated for maintenance such as grass-cutting and litter/turd removal which in itself doesn't sound excessive and is under the £7k permit takings.

For £56k the site should have been getting proper, seasonal 24hr security with a couple of ex-pub bouncers if necessary.

The mismanagement of this £56k has been contributing to the source of where we are. People need to be asking how and why this figure was arrived at and paid.

i wonder how much sulby cladagh cost to run when government had fuck all to do with the place ?

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i wonder how much sulby cladagh cost to run when government had fuck all to do with the place ?

The forestry maintained the land, cut the grass and the fences and a man came in every day and evening to clean the toilets (and a jolly good job he did to). Apart from that - nothing.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2023 at 7:59 AM, The Duck of Atholl said:

The land was Crown Estate and conveyed under a very large transfer of land to the IOMG not long after WW2

The references to it being common land remain moot. You say something often enough and for long enough and people take it as fact, just like the fictional gentleman I refer to in my post. People also mistake the term common land as land upon which you can do almost anything which is also a fiction. Rights of common are  specific.

All land on the Island automatically belonged top the Lord at one time and so would have ended up under the Crown on Revestment or when the manorial rights were acquired from the Atholls in 1826.  So anything without an explicit owner will have been theirs before it was transferred to the Isle of Man - in various chunks over time though I think a lot was after the War.

We discussed this back in 2020 and I mentioned Paul Quayle's work on what happened after 1866 and what was effectively enclosure.  It's possible some land remained as common land after that and even if not, if people think something is common land and there's no verified owner, then it effectively is.  That's the point about common land - it's customary.  Of course, as you say, that means thereare likely more restrictions over use than something privately owned.