No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Picture on FB taken by MR of a very full house at the Sulby Glen tonight.    I wonder if any of the invited MHKs turned up ?

Saw the picture of a packed marquee and 3 stooges, Cannan, Johnston and Barber. Sad it’s taken a public meeting, petitions to get this far. It is the hallmark of ineptitude that permeates through IOMG that this scenario shouldn’t have come to this when the island has ten times more pressing priorities. It’s also sad when a private individual who must be involved in the building industry offers to construct a shower/toilet block. If IOMG build it, be prepared for endless consultations, then expensive architectural plans, followed by expressions of interests etc, which will mean the building will be a long over drawn and over budget affair. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Saw the picture of a packed marquee and 3 stooges, Cannan, Johnston and Barber. Sad it’s taken a public meeting, petitions to get this far. It is the hallmark of ineptitude that permeates through IOMG that this scenario shouldn’t have come to this when the island has ten times more pressing priorities. It’s also sad when a private individual who must be involved in the building industry offers to construct a shower/toilet block. If IOMG build it, be prepared for endless consultations, then expensive architectural plans, followed by expressions of interests etc, which will mean the building will be a long over drawn and over budget affair. 

Even with the offer of a new toilet block from a private individual then Govt would still put it out to tender!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

They already did and no one wanted it. Even campsite owners didn't want to take it on. Keith Pierce seems to have taken this under his wing now and he would be a good person to take it up as a going concern. He, like many otters on the Island, lives in his van, and it's them I also feel sorry for. Many of the full timers rely on the Claddagh for their summer spot, following the rules and moving elsewhere after ten days and then returning. They are the stalwarts of the Claddagh and would probably be best placed to make a success of it. Let's see what happens. I hope it has a successful outcome and, if it doesn't, at least it's proved that the people can rstill ise when they feel strong enough about something.

I really don’t think that IOMG want the responsibility of providing any services. It’s an ideal cop out. Then they will have endless tourism campaigns, endless Homestay appeals, endless campsite appeals etc. In the grand scheme of things it’s chicken feed, but sadly they don’t want to invest. 

59 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I really don’t think that IOMG want the responsibility of providing any services. It’s an ideal cop out. Then they will have endless tourism campaigns, endless Homestay appeals, endless campsite appeals etc. In the grand scheme of things it’s chicken feed, but sadly they don’t want to invest. 

Initially the excuse was the unfit for purpose toilet block. That's now morphed into excessive running costs that Govt itself has created and failed to manage. We've seen this approach before with public assets, such as the airport RESA and the Promenade, ever-developing excuses until they find one that sticks or people get fed up with objecting. So the easy solution here now is to close the facility to the disadvantage of all and sundry.

The problem is that these people just can't be arsed because they get paid whatever. Sack the fucking lot of them and bring in some people with initiative and the motivation to serve the public, which is what they are paid to do.

• Like 2

Government has committed to look at options to open up Sulby Claddagh for overnight camping for as much of the season as possible.

That includes reopening overnight camping at the site for the TT period and potentially more of the remainder of the season.

That was the pledge made by DEFA Minister, Clare Barber and Ayre & Michael MHK's Alfred Cannan and Tim Johnston at a public meeting held at the Sulby Glen Hotel last night (1 March).

What a pity they hadn't thought if doing that months ago!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know if anyone has seen the NPM news article with st accompanied photo of a rainbow over the constituency. I wonder if CM Cannan has been out with a bucket and spade trying to find the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow - an alternative solution to the usual mishmash policies in action. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

There are otters living in vans on the island? Wow, i feel sorry for them too! 

@Roxanne

In one of the Catering vans.  I saw Chicken Tarka listed on the menu.  Apparently it's like Tikka but a little otter. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Don’t tell Defa as there not native and they’ll need a whole new management structure to look for those pesky otters.

Joking aside, (sea) otters are now flourishing in Scotland.  I've often thought the Isle would provide a pretty good habitat. 

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If there was a problem with the toilet block then fair enough but I'm not convinced. A bigger problem was that when DEFA took it over was they installed a toilet emptying point - before that none existed. This was a place where motorhome owners could empty their chemical toilets from their vans. It was a disaster in it's execution. Instead of a septic tank with soak aways it was a huge plastic tank above ground that constantly overflowed leaving sewage and toilet paper all over the ground. No matter how many phone calls were made, no emptying was done except for the allotted times. Even in TT week there were no additional emptying. It was a health hazard. 

TT week a mobile with showers was erected. An excellent idea but again poorly executed. Water ran all over the ground outside making the camping areas sodden. Add a couple of rainy days to the mix and it was a complete mess and again - a health hazard.

It needs a complete rethink and to that it requires someone who can think. A project manager in the true sense of the word who can work out, 'what could posssibly go wrong' and plan for that scenario, rather than someone whose performance indicator is, 'that'll do'.

Sewage, water, flooding, fires, no safe limits between units and no security.

All those things need to be addressed.

I agree with all your comments apart from the septic tank one. Chemical toilets from caravans and motorhomes cannot go into septic tanks