No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with all your comments apart from the septic tank one. Chemical toilets from caravans and motorhomes cannot go into septic tanks

Yes, you're completely correct. I should have said an underground high volume storage tank.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with all your comments apart from the septic tank one. Chemical toilets from caravans and motorhomes cannot go into septic tanks

there are septic tank friendly chemicals for chemical toilets.

thetford-aqua-kem-green-concentreated-septic-waste-tank-porta-potti-portable-camping-toilet-chemical__11757.jpg

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

Aye - there are but they still contain formaldehyde and that interferes with the rotting down of fecal matter.

When it talks about waste holding tank it's talking about the cassette part of the toilet - not a septic tank.

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

Aye - there are but they still contain formaldehyde and that interferes with the rotting down of fecal matter.

When it talks about waste holding tank it's talking about the cassette part of the toilet - not a septic tank.

it does state septic tank safe on the bottle so it ought to be fine for use with septic tanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Joking aside, (sea) otters are now flourishing in Scotland.  I've often thought the Isle would provide a pretty good habitat. 

They'd need to be introduced since they're territorial and don't cross huge distances of water. Introduction of new species is frowned upon these days, because the impact on other wildlife is too difficult to assess. Besides that, the IOM is probably too busy for them - even the quieter beaches and glens have tons of dogs being walked on them, and canine distemper is easily transmitted from dog faeces. 

27 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

They'd need to be introduced since they're territorial and don't cross huge distances of water. Introduction of new species is frowned upon these days, because the impact on other wildlife is too difficult to assess. Besides that, the IOM is probably too busy for them - even the quieter beaches and glens have tons of dogs being walked on them, and canine distemper is easily transmitted from dog faeces. 

True and agreed.  They'd likely need an estuarine environment too and all our rivers of note have a harbour to deal with.  Regarding impact, I doubt they'd effect anything more than seals and polecats which we already have.  It would be interesting to see if they were ever here.  Mostly wiped out in the UK due to hunting and river pollution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

True and agreed.  They'd likely need an estuarine environment too and all our rivers of note have a harbour to deal with.  Regarding impact, I doubt they'd effect anything more than seals and polecats which we already have.  It would be interesting to see if they were ever here.  Mostly wiped out in the UK due to hunting and river pollution. 

There were otters at Dog Mills. There wasn’t a farm and mill for breeding dogs and grinding their bones. Manx for otter is sea dog. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

thetford-aqua-kem-green-concentreated-septic-waste-tank-porta-potti-portable-camping-toilet-chemical__11757.jpg

Indeed there are. However they are not used universally and it would only take one plonker to use the normal stuff and the septic tank would be wiped out. It would be difficult to enforce and is a problem many campsites have. Despite warning signs, people still use the wrong stuff. 

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it does state septic tank safe on the bottle so it ought to be fine for use with septic tanks.

It does, but it’s also banned all over Europe because it screws up the flora. I think it’s only in the U.K. that it can be used. 

The only thing that should go in a septic tank apart from poo and wee is a dead sheep. And not many people carry them around in their vans. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm skeptical. 

There was one washed up down south a few years ago and it caused some consternation among the wildlife experts. No live ones were ever found apart from those at the Curraghs. That’s not to say that’s John’s story may not be correct. They all but died out across the water and it’s only fairly recently that they’ve become quite prolific once more.

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It needs a complete rethink and to that it requires someone who can think. A project manager in the true sense of the word who can work out, 'what could posssibly go wrong' and plan for that scenario, rather than someone whose performance indicator is, 'that'll do'.

Sewage, water, flooding, fires, no safe limits between units and no security.

All those things need to be addressed.

Time for Professor Ashford MBE and bar to put his underpants on over his suit and become - SuperDave, crime fighter and project managing superhero…