No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There was one washed up down south a few years ago and it caused some consternation among the wildlife experts. No live ones were ever found apart from those at the Curraghs. That’s not to say that’s John’s story may not be correct. They all but died out across the water and it’s only fairly recently that they’ve become quite prolific once more.

Yeah I remember and also the fact that the local wildlife guys had also said none on the Island in recent history.  I'm not going to say a definite no, it's possible, hence why I'm 'skeptical'.  Heard lots about farming the dogs, never heard about the otters.  They are usually found around rocky shorelines with close access to inlets, rivers, lochs etc.  Dog Mills does not provide this habitat.  Possibly Ramsey/Sulby River prior to the harbour development maybe.

Edited by The Phantom

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I'm skeptical. 

It was the theory of PMC Kermode, Manx polymath, linguist, archaeologist, naturalist, an advocate, founder of the IoMNHAS, and founder director of the Manx Museum.

And endorsed by our own Frances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It does, but it’s also banned all over Europe because it screws up the flora. I think it’s only in the U.K. that it can be used. 

The only thing that should go in a septic tank apart from poo and wee is a dead sheep. And not many people carry them around in their vans. 

Ewe might be surprised. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah I remember and also the fact that the local wildlife guys had also said none on the Island in recent history.  I'm not going to say a definite no, it's possible, hence why I'm 'skeptical'.  Heard lots about farming the dogs, never heard about the otters.  They are usually found around rocky shorelines with close access to inlets, rivers, lochs etc.  Dog Mills does not provide this habitat.  Possibly Ramsey/Sulby River prior to the harbour development maybe.

There's an old thread on here about it somewhere

Oh, and then if you follow it up a bit you get to the manx notebook

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/iomnhas/lm1p182.htm 

which interestingly enough has this bit in it, to bring it backish to the thread topic

The Ayre in the extreme North is a large unenclosed waste of gorse and heath about 800 acres being common.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

There were otters at Dog Mills. There wasn’t a farm and mill for breeding dogs and grinding their bones. Manx for otter is sea dog. 

Nah, PMC Kermode and others speculated about the name, but didn't have any evidence that otters were actually present on the island at any point. They'd have had to have had a significant population arriving shortly after the ice age to prevent inbreeding for long enough to survive into recorded history, and I can't find any direct references to otters other than speculation on place names. 

I suspect that the "Dog Mills", like "Cronk y Voddey" comes unsurprisingly from domestic dogs. More than likely it'll be something like the mill owner had a load of terriers to keep the longtails off the grain. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Bastard said:

I suspect that the "Dog Mills", like "Cronk y Voddey" comes unsurprisingly from domestic dogs. More than likely it'll be something like the mill owner had a load of terriers to keep the longtails off the grain. 

I was told by a reliable source that "Cronk y Voddy" means "Vodka Hill". 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoops said:

Just as long as there's nothing for locals then. Thumbs up emoji.

The article says they are looking for solutions for the rest of the summer. I can't see them being able to stop campers going there, especially once TT is over and it has been used by the bikers without issue. A few signs with some rules on shoudl sort most issues out. No fires on the ground, no music/noise after midnight, vehicles or tents with permits only. Any problems and permits get removed for good. Including letting children wreck the toilets. They do need showers if they are going to charge for permits, they also need chem toilet emptying. The other solution would be to intriduce overnight charges as aires do. £5 per night to park up and use facilities, pay and display. One person required to do 2 checks a day, once for trouble, once for pay and display tickets. Not sure that would be popular though as would not be free any longer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they pulled their fingers out they could get it up and running for Easter but that is probably too big an ask for a Government Department.    It is a good sign though that when the natives get interested and have a rumble in the jungle they get listened to this is indeed a break from long tradition for this Government.

• Like 1