No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

How hard would it be for the government, with all the land they own, to just set up a couple of facilities that are fit for purpose. People with MHs could have a membership scheme (disk on windscreen) that covers access to facilities. Visitors with MHs could pick up a temp disk at the welcome centre.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It only costs £10 per m more than a car to take a mh on the boat. Many people just have them to go on holiday in and rarely use them on island. Some use them exclusively on island and some somewhere in between. A bit of both.

I'm  ot sure that you can dictate people's lifestyles though so not sure what point you are making. People are free to chose.

You are also missing the point that people visit here in their motorhomes and talk about the beautiful places they stayed. They wont be doing anymore.

I asked a question and you answered it.

I still don’t get it, especially up Smeale etc as there isn’t actually much of a view and for the cost of a years tax and insurance, never mind the purchase of the thing and fuel, you could do several Nights in a holiday rental.

Each to their own though, I will just never understand a local camping with other locals at the Mooragh in something that costs them the price of More nights than they will stay there in a year at the modern hotel a few hundred yards away.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

How hard would it be for the government, with all the land they own, to just set up a couple of facilities that are fit for purpose. People with MHs could have a membership scheme (disk on windscreen) that covers access to facilities. Visitors with MHs could pick up a temp disk at the welcome centre.

It wouldn’t be hard at all. It’s a question of approach to problems. When you have a little bit of authority there is a temptation to use it to prevent or stop something from being a problem. Using your authority to come up with a solution takes a lot more imagination and a willingness to share the problem with others and reach an agreed outcome. 
Then there is the issue of departments working together. Motorhomes are a segment of the tourism market that is not wholly dominated by organised commercial campsites with facilities. A sizeable chunk of motorhome owners prefer to use the facilities in their van and use more “in nature” parking spots with access to water and waste disposal, not necessarily where they park up. If we want to achieve 500,000 visitors we need to open up our minds to all tourism opportunities and make a bit of effort snd financial investment across departments. But it’s easier to prohibit and not think any more widely. So we do that. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Hoops said:

ok, I live on the Island on a council estate and with limited money. I don't have frequent holidays off island.  I'd love to have a motorhome and be able to stay at the Ayres or one of our other beautiful places, wake up not in an estate but with the sight and sound of the sea, gulls, etc, to be able to get a bit of headroom when I wanted it. We could go for a night in Peel or Port Erin and wake up and have a walk there without shelling out for a b&b. We've got mates in Orkney - for the cost of the ferry and fuel, we could meander our way up there etc etc

So yeah, I'd like a motorhome. And when I go to the Ayres, Blue Point etc, it tends to be the 4x4's I see tearing up the habitat, and the wardens, if you actually see them, do sweet f.a in my experience. Up by the lighthouse, they've let the situation occur where some people feel they can pull up anywhere along the heathland, gaze out for a few minutes, and drive off. When Dan was going through his tribulations in his cabin with DEFA, a warden managed to spend a lot of time watching him, which was basically a 'static' situation that was being addressed through the courts. The wardens need to actively manage the Ayres, enforce regulations, possibly better signage, instead of this, which appears to me, knee-jerk reaction. If some motorhome owners are causing a problem, ban them, not issue a collective punishment.

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

4 hours ago, joebean said:

It wouldn’t be hard at all. It’s a question of approach to problems. When you have a little bit of authority there is a temptation to use it to prevent or stop something from being a problem. Using your authority to come up with a solution takes a lot more imagination and a willingness to share the problem with others and reach an agreed outcome. 
Then there is the issue of departments working together. Motorhomes are a segment of the tourism market that is not wholly dominated by organised commercial campsites with facilities. A sizeable chunk of motorhome owners prefer to use the facilities in their van and use more “in nature” parking spots with access to water and waste disposal, not necessarily where they park up. If we want to achieve 500,000 visitors we need to open up our minds to all tourism opportunities and make a bit of effort snd financial investment across departments. But it’s easier to prohibit and not think any more widely. So we do that. 

Three great posts.

All Barber can do is add a link to the  article called alternatives. When you open it it has about 20 TT campsites that are only open in TT

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And please tell me why you would not encourage a private enterprise to do this?

Why is it always the "Government"

Again,this is why your island is dying, it exists only to produce government / CS / PS jobs

The IOM has no purpose anymore other than providing funds to continue this PONZI government payroll scheme.

Albert, you of all people should see that, going by your previous posts, or have you been assimilated too? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Can someone explain why I would want a motor home on island?  The place is tiny and there isn’t anywhere we haven’t been already?

We did have one from 2016 but sold it after COVID when we got out of the habit of using it.

It was stored in Liverpool at a friends and we flew over and had done great travels around england, wales and Scotland but it never occurred to me to pay a fortune to put it on the boat to bring back here and drive ten miles away from my much more comfortable home in.

You have friends?

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2022 at 7:55 AM, Asthehills said:

Can someone explain why I would want a motor home on island?  The place is tiny and there isn’t anywhere we haven’t been already?

We did have one from 2016 but sold it after COVID when we got out of the habit of using it.

It was stored in Liverpool at a friends and we flew over and had done great travels around england, wales and Scotland but it never occurred to me to pay a fortune to put it on the boat to bring back here and drive ten miles away from my much more comfortable home in.

Make a silly face if you have no freinds

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Again,this is why your island is dying, it exists only to produce government / CS / PS jobs

The IOM has no purpose anymore other than providing funds to continue this PONZI government payroll scheme.

Albert, you of all people should see that, going by your previous posts, or have you been assimilated too? 

private enterprise does this on many campsites ,  but you don't necessarily get a view of the sea and it isn't free like the ayres , the last thing private enterprise needs is government 'help' , their idea of help is forms to fill in so they can tick boxes and feel important.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

There is a reason. The money is not made at the campsite or Aire. The money is made by people coming here and spending money. 

Just about every French and Spanish Town will have an aire. Motorhomes will stay over and walk into town and buy a few drinks/ have a meal etc. 

Doesn't apply so much at the Ayres though. But Peel Quay, Ramsey prom do get used to the benefit of the businesses. 

That's the theory anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Probably for the same reasons they won’t turn the summer land site into a motor home designated car park

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Three great posts.

All Barber can do is add a link to the  article called alternatives. When you open it it has about 20 TT campsites that are only open in TT

Entitlement.... y'all are entitled.

Luverly, everybody wants, nobody gives.... Simples - take, take take. No one has taken responsibility for the disgusting mess left behind.

Ban all motorhomes on public lands!

2 hours ago, WTF said:

private enterprise does this on many campsites ,  but you don't necessarily get a view of the sea and it isn't free like the ayres , the last thing private enterprise needs is government 'help' , their idea of help is forms to fill in so they can tick boxes and feel important.

Many of the campervans we see over here would not be allowed on private campsites in the UK and Europe. They have fairly strict but sometimes unwritten rules. Rock-up in an old shed or anything which does not basically look like a bungalow and you will be told that there is no space.

They have to be very careful who they let in. And they definitely do not want the sort of people who have turned up at the Claddaghs some years. They want people who will be quiet and well behaved. And who will not refuse to move on without a court order.

Edited by genericUserName