No more campers and motorhomes at the Ayres

Happier diner

30 minutes ago, HelmutX said:

Entitlement.... y'all are entitled.

Luverly, everybody wants, nobody gives.... Simples - take, take take. No one has taken responsibility for the disgusting mess left behind.

Ban all motorhomes on public lands!

Nice people don't leave mess. Who thinks they are entitled.

It's not motorhomes that do this it's the chavs in vans and tents. Burning pallets is one great trick they have. Once watched a guy cut up 7 pallets and start a fire that could have been seen in Scotland.

Do defa think that banning motorhomes is going to stop this. Dream on. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Just about every French and Spanish Town will have an aire. Motorhomes will stay over and walk into town and buy a few drinks/ have a meal etc. 

Some of them end up being a right old mess though. With people turning up at the start of the season and basically building compounds out of old vehicles and tarpaulins which they then use as weekend residencies. And I doubt they spend much money in the towns nearby.

5 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Some of them end up being a right old mess though. With people turning up at the start of the season and basically building compounds out of old vehicles and tarpaulins which they then use as weekend residencies. And I doubt they spend much money in the towns nearby.

I must say that in 20years of using Aires in Francr, Spain and Germany, I have never been unfortunate enough to experience that. Sure some are not great, but generally safe and OK.

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Nice people don't leave mess. Who thinks they are entitled.

It's not motorhomes that do this it's the chavs in vans and tents. Burning pallets is one great trick they have. Once watched a guy cut up 7 pallets and start a fire that could have been seen in Scotland.

Do defa think that banning motorhomes is going to stop this. Dream on. 

Except DEFA aren't banning motorhomes:

Vehicles will still be able to access the Recreation Area, but permits to allow overnight camping have been permanently withdrawn.

So whether you intended to stay in a motorhome, a van or a tent, you can't.  But you can still drive there in any sort of vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except DEFA aren't banning motorhomes:

Vehicles will still be able to access the Recreation Area, but permits to allow overnight camping have been permanently withdrawn.

So whether you intended to stay in a motorhome, a van or a tent, you can't.  But you can still drive there in any sort of vehicle.

That's interesting. I wonder how that is going to help.

So, previously you could choose to have a permit and sleep over. Alternatively to you choose not to have a permit but do what you liked including sleeping over bit also causing damage and disturbing the wildlife. 

Now you can't have a permit but you can still do what you like.

Confused.com

Sounds like a bit of usual defa nonsense to me. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So, previously you could choose to have a permit and sleep over. Alternatively to you choose not to have a permit but do what you liked including sleeping over bit also causing damage and disturbing the wildlife. 

Confused.com

We pay for them and they take things away from us, whereas DBC are paid, but don't take things away from people as much as they used to.

So, DEFA have let dutch elm disease go, let the footpaths go, stopped us from camping, the farming industry appears to be struggling(As opposed to landowners who use farming land for holiday cottages and so forth), and seems to be another department who have released their front line workers but increased levels of management.

it's all bollocks, really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Confused.com

Camping is banned without a permit, so if they're not issuing any permits, then all camping is banned.  Presumably the idea is that it's more difficult to police what is going on at night, so if there's a general ban on people being there, they can pick up anyone after hours and hopefully keep an eye on behaviour in daylight hours.  How well they will do this is another matter, but the structure is now there.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Camping is banned without a permit, so if they're not issuing any permits, then all camping is banned.  Presumably the idea is that it's more difficult to police what is going on at night, so if there's a general ban on people being there, they can pick up anyone after hours and hopefully keep an eye on behaviour in daylight hours.  How well they will do this is another matter, but the structure is now there.

as pointed out previously, possibly the best chance they had of catching dickheads is genuine campers reporting them.

The lesser seen wardens don't seem to enforce parking rules in the hours of daylight, can't see them being there at night.

How many coppers are on duty in the north at night?

Did they replace the last copper with defined wildlife-related duties, who, I seem to recall, did appear happy to drive around at night, but only after a couple of bottles of wine?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Mmm! Still doesn't really make sense. It was perfectly easy to police before because

1. They had the details of all the motorhomes with permits

2. The permits had to be shown in the windscreen.

The missing link was the lack of policing. The missing link is still the lack of policing. Status quo as I see it. 

• Like 3

On 12/31/2022 at 9:30 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

How hard would it be for the government, with all the land they own, to just set up a couple of facilities that are fit for purpose. People with MHs could have a membership scheme (disk on windscreen) that covers access to facilities. Visitors with MHs could pick up a temp disk at the welcome centre.

Look at the hoops you have to jump through to camp at Sulby Claddaghs now. If Govt set up a facility (facilities) it would just be administratively overblown (as usual) and cost its applicants an arm and a leg to use it...as well as costing the taxpayers a fortune.

How much did it cost to "administer" the Sulby facility last year vs what it actually took in fees?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Look at the hoops you have to jump through to camp at Sulby Claddaghs now. If Govt set up a facility (facilities) it would just be administratively overblown (as usual) and cost its applicants an arm and a leg to use it...as well as costing the taxpayers a fortune.

How much did it cost to "administer" the Sulby facility last year vs what it actually took in fees?

and you can only get a permit to camp during office hours , you can't turn up and pay the warden , they have to turn you away even if there is lots of space available, sheer madness.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Nothing to do with me, gov.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:23 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Camping is banned without a permit, so if they're not issuing any permits, then all camping is banned. 

I think this is half the problem with the IOM. You can’t do anything without needing a permit or it costing you money so then people end up going to isolated places like this to have a night away. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1